Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Is anybody using Appodeal? — Gideros Forum

Is anybody using Appodeal?

freesspfreessp Member
edited August 2015 in Plugins
I am using Appodeal to deliver ads in my game. I am pretty happy with it, except I am getting some really strange behavior after the ads are dismissed: the screen switches to a psychedelic looking, red-green gradient. Some of the sprites are then duplicated, upside-down, different shapes, and other bizarre things.

I have determined that it must be something that Appodeal is causing, because I created a version that simply displays a single background sprite, removes that sprite completely to display the ad, displays the single sprite again after the ad is fully dismissed and removed, and the same thing still happens. No tweens, no timers, just a single .png image that is displayed, removed, and re-displayed.

Here is the really weird thing: it only happens on my phone; my tablet and every emulator I have tried work perfectly. Even weirder, it only happens after the second time an ad is displayed, regardless of where in the app I display the ads. Weirder yet, it only affects my menu screens. Once the game part starts, everything looks fine again until an ad is shown and then dismissed (the ads themselves always look fine).

I don't know whether to accept the fact that my app may not work right on some devices and release it anyway, or to try a different ad delivery system (again, I like Appodeal and would like to stick with it). Is anybody having a similar issue with ads? Could it just be my phone? It is a very low-end phone, but so is my tablet.

Comments

• Unfortunately no, this is bug in Gideros, also recently discovered it. Looks like this, isn't it?
    IMG_0812.JPG
    2592 x 1936 - 1M
  • That's it exactly! So, is it a bug that only occurs with Appodeal, or with ads in general?
  • ar2rsawseenar2rsawseen Maintainer
    Accepted Answer
    Unfortunately with Android in general, only on some specific devices.
    @hgy29 might have more insight
  • Okay, thanks a lot for the help. I spent three days trying to fix the problem thinking it was my coding. I guess I should reach out for help a little sooner when I have issues. Maybe I will release it with a "Known Issues" statement and hope that people don't give me negative reviews. ~X(
  • I decided to abandon Appodeal because I was having too many issues with ad delivery, and am now testing with adMob only. I can confirm that the distorted images problem has to do with the displaying of ALL ads, not just Appodeal ads. Actually, I think it has to do with the devices resuming from suspension because I have similar issues when I receive phone calls, or even just opening the app back up after pressing the home button.
  • Actually I think Appodeal is doing good. We are using Appodeal for our games and can confirm that everything works great.
    @freessp Try to contact their support. They have helped us with our coding issues. Support works really great and they do support Gideros.
  • freesspfreessp Member
    edited August 2015
    Thanks @contempo183. The main problem I was having was that I was receiving an AD_RECEIVED event, when there was no ad to show. Then the screen would go black (as if showing an ad) with no way to dismiss it. My game would then need to be cleared and restarted. This would go on for hours, then the ads would start popping up again.

When I switched to adMob only, I added code that will time out after 7 seconds if no AD_DISPLAYED event is received. This might just take care of the problem I was having with Appodeal.

I do plan on tinkering around with different ad options to see what works best, and I will be giving Appodeal another look.
  • Oh - I like appodeal support - they always in touch!
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Good news, it looks like we found the bug and fixed it. Wait for the next release and looking forward to hear wether it works for you or not.
  • I just released an update to my game Galactiblaster with the new 2015.09 update and the screen image distortion issue seems to be fixed! Thanks a bunch!!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.clockspeedcs.galactiblaster
    +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Are you running Appodeal as part of Ads Interface?
    My Gideros games: www.totebo.com
  • Yes, @totebo, I did implement Appodeal in this release. All seems good so far [-O<
  • freesspfreessp Member
    edited September 2015
    Oops, I misspoke (or mistyped). I am using Appodeal through their SDK, they have specific Gideros support. Its actually just a matter of copying the contents of the src and libs folders (provided by Appodeal), and modifying the manifest file in the same way as the Gideros Ads Interface. In fact, I think I remember reading that it's based on Gideros Ads Interface. It should be super easy to add.

I would be happy to provide any information I can. I have never been a "contributor" to the awesome Gideros project yet, and don't really know how to go about it, but I will attach the current Appodeal SDK, which contains the src and libs folders, along with sample manifest and activity files. The methods and events are, from what I can see, identical to the current Ads Interface.

Let me know how else I can help.

Edit: I currently only make Android apps and don't know anything about implementing ads for Apple. I would attach Appodeal's ios sdk, but it is around 100MB.
    zip
    zip
    Appodeal_Gideros_1.13.1.zip
    4M
  • Ok, good info! Would be good to include to Plugins in the repository, even if it's not part of the Ads Interface.
  • If you add the extra files for the other providers that are withing the Gideros ads folder to the appodeal version then it will fail - it's appodeal or the others it looks like.
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
  • Understood.
  • I was wondering about that @SinisterSoft. I'm still very much a newbie to this whole game-making thing. :-??
  • SinisterSoftSinisterSoft Maintainer
    edited September 2015
    I had a go with AppoDeal and I didn't make as much as using AppLovin then Chartboost as a fallback.

Ideally I would havebeen able to use AppLovin, then Appodeal as a fallback, but the two don't seem to work together. Might be fixed now though?
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
  • So I guess AppoDeal takes a revenue share, which is why using them doesn't perform as well?
  • SinisterSoftSinisterSoft Maintainer
    edited September 2015
    It was a small fraction of what I was earning directly with AppLovin.

$3.xx vs. $4xx.xx
  • Wowzer.

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • @freessp I also use Appodeal and can confirm, that they have great support. Once I had coding issue, they solved my problem within 1 hour, really helpful.
    @SinisterSoft In my case Appodeal brought a way more $ than using AppLovin alone (I've been using Applovin for 4 months), with video and interstitial ads in my arcade-game I covered all major networks and my average eCPM was $5,4 for interstitials; $6,1 video. I think it all depends on your app, but I personally would recommend Appodeal.
    Would be great to see more ideas!
  • @QuentinX, are you using:

AppLovin via AppoDeal

OR

AppLovin, then if it fails using AppoDeal?

I found the huge drop off with AppoDeal directly, tried it for 6 weeks.

I couldn't get AppLovin then AppoDeal to work.

I did try this some time ago, maybe they have sorted things out?
  • @SinisterSoft Appodeal supports Applovin and many other networks (AdMob, Chartboost, Vungle, UnityAds, Tapsense and so on). Perhaps you should give a try. BTW which networks do you use at the moment?
  • AppLovin falling back to ChartBoost.

I did try AppoDeal for about 6 weeks and income fell significantly.
  • We are going to try this out but there is an issue with our admob account at the moment. If I understand correctly, admob is required to get Appodeal SDK working. When we have resolved our admob issue I'll post my experience.
  • With the most recent version of my game using Appodeal, I have watched the fill rate drop significantly, which means revenue has also dropped significantly. My users have reported that ads are not showing at all much of the time, and when they do show, they are almost always Unity ads, which don't seem to produce much.

Needless to say, I am less than impressed with Appodeal, but I am also not impressed with the dismal amount of revenue that ads produce in the first place. The Amazon Underground model makes much more sense to me when it comes to giving my hard work and intellectual property away for free.

By the way, @simwhi, my adMob account was suspended for some reason as well. They wouldn't tell me why, but still expected me to "fix" it. Appodeal is still working, but that's probably why my fill rate has dropped and I'm only getting Unity ads.
  • @freessp Thanks for the information. I think we will stick with admob. At the moment there are no ads being displayed in our apps because we have to go through an address verification procedure using a PIN. It all seems a bit long winded to me.