Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
OUYA - The new (upcoming) Android console - Page 4 — Gideros Forum

OUYA - The new (upcoming) Android console

Comments

• @ar2rsawseen, I just cross loaded the new player and it doesn't seem to work. It just comes up with a white rectangle (in portrait mode) and no text (IP address etc).

best regards
  • @ar2rsawseen I'm sure you're about to be inundated with questions, but I've got one when you get a chance. hehe

I'm taking an in-development Gideros app and trying to run it on my Ouya. I seem to be getting an error along the lines of "no static method with name='BackgroundMusicCreateFromFile'" (line 91: http://pastebin.com/NjSY2hJ4 [Sorry for the giant logfile; I'm not super familiar with logcat...hehe])

Anyway, I was just curious if this sounded like something you were familiar with or if it's something on my end. Thanks for your time; very excited to play around with Ouya dev.
  • ar2rsawseenar2rsawseen Maintainer
    edited June 2013
    @SinisterSoft unfortunately until I or @atilim get ouya and can test it thoroughly, Ouya will be in labs and that might take a while, getting it to our part of Europe.

@bowerandy I knew I forgot something, and that was making exported project a player. It's fixed and reuploaded with new Ouya Player.

@TheOddLinguist since I can't test it on Ouya device, it might be possible that current Gideros Audio API, or File system or anything else is completely incompatible with Ouya, but we have no way of knowing it yet.
    But what you can do is test the new player

• My app is live on ouya store (for free) and is coded in gideros with no sound problems. No IAP of course or extra buttons as I use touchpad on this one.
    @MobAmuse yes you are right
    @TheOddLinguist it was probably me mixing up old jar libs with new .so libs thats why you have this crash, thats why @bowerandy also stated that player did not behave correctly, that should be fixed with the new player ;)
  • SinisterSoftSinisterSoft Maintainer
    @ar2rsawseen Sorry, I didn't mean a version with Ouya as a dest, I meant the version you were testing that was only a few hours from release a few days ago. ;)
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
    Aha got it, let me post a little update in the update thread
  • bowerandybowerandy Guru
    edited June 2013
    @ar2rsawseen, thanks. New player is working again (and fixes the problems I saw before with GCE not working). However, it is still in portrait mode. Do you not need to set the blank project to landscape before exporting the player?

I should be able to try out the joystick buttons today. Not sure about the IAP - I'll try and think of a way of testing it.

BTW, as a general point, I think there is an opportunity here with Ouya. The launch titles they have are, for the most part, *crap*. They are also relatively expensive with prices set somewhere between high-end ipad apps and low end Xbox games. My son downloaded Final-Fantasy - which seems to be an old version - one from 1990 I think - and they wanted £18 for it.

I think there's an opportunity (at least in the short-term before the marketplace gets overrun with even more rubbish) for someone to produce a high quality game (using Gideros of course) and then selling it at a reasonable price - say £10 (or $15).

best regards
    +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • fxonefxone Member
    edited June 2013
    @bowerandy
    change in AndroidManifest.xml under Eclipse from:
    android:screenOrientation="portrait"
    to
    android:screenOrientation="landscape"
  • atilimatilim Maintainer
    Well good news is that we could not find any more bugs, but since it will be (hopefully) the last version of OpenGL ES 1.1 and (due to support for older devices) some member will like to stick with it for some longer period of time.
    Thats is why we also decided to test it with compatibility for iOS 7, basically which we are doing today, it should probably not take more than a day, so hopefully release will be (depending on how the testing goes) today or tomorrow.
    +1 -1 (+3 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • @fxone, thanks. I don't have Eclipse installed so I'm just using the prebuilt player that @ar2rsawseen kindly supplied.
  • @ar2rsawseen, I'm not sure whether this is a result of your deadspot changes but if I move a stick to (say) full left and then release, I get the event for the move but I don't get an event for the return to zero. Is that expected?

best regards
    @bowerandy you are right, that's why we decided to dedicate considerable amount of resources to ouya to push it as fast as possible.

And btw, I've updated the player to landscape mode, but player IP address will be in portrait, thats how Gideros Player goes ;)

Testing IAPS is quite easy, you need to register at https://devs.ouya.tv/developers and create products there. Then if you are using same developer account on ouya that you created products in, you can buy them for free (as testing)

then store product ids in your app. And API reference is also inside install.html, but I'll post it here.

First you need to provide developer and app keys like:
    ouya:init(devId, appId)
    Then basically all ouya:requestSomething methods have two events, success or failed, so you can request information about products by providing product ids

ouya:requestProducts(productListTable)

which raises either:
    Event.PRODUCT_REQUEST_SUCCESS --succesfuly retrieved product list
    e.products - table with products
    e.products[].id - id of product
    e.products[].name - name of product
    e.products[].price - price of product in cents

or

Event.PRODUCT_REQUEST_FAILED --could not retrieve product list
    e.error - error message

then you can purchase a product by providing its ID

ouya:requestPurchase(productId)
    which raises either:
    Event.PURCHASE_REQUEST_SUCCESS --successfully purchased product
    e.productId - id of a purchased product

or

Event.PURCHASE_REQUEST_FAILED --could not purchase product
    e.error - error message

then you can check receipts of what can be purchased before

ouya:requestReceipts()
    which raises either:
    Event.RECEIPT_REQUEST_SUCCESS --successfully retrieved receipt list
    e.receipts - table with receipts
    e.receipts[].id - id of product bought
    e.receipts[].price - price of product in cents
    e.receipts[].time - time of purchase

or

Event.RECEIPT_REQUEST_FAILED --could not retrieve receipt list
    e.error - error message

and you can also retrieve ID of user currently logged in:
    ouya:requestUserId()
    which raises either:
    Event.USER_REQUEST_SUCCESS --succesfuly retrieved user id
    e.userId - id of a user

or

Event.USER_REQUEST_FAILED --could not retrieve user id
    e.error - error message

• zoolaxzoolax Member
    @ atilim
    We are all really looking forward to this.
    :)
    www.zoolax.com
    edited June 2013
    @bowerandy updated player, again, hopefully to fix this issue :)
    And thank you all for testing ;)
    edited June 2013
    @atilim That's good news and also a good idea to test on ios7 before release. Can't wait. :)
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    @SinisterSoft have you been able to download files form Gideros Labs?

• BTW, as a general point, I think there is an opportunity here with Ouya. The launch titles they have are, for the most part, *crap*. They are also relatively expensive with prices set somewhere between high-end ipad apps and low end Xbox games. My son downloaded Final-Fantasy - which seems to be an old version - one from 1990 I think - and they wanted £18 for it.

I think there's an opportunity (at least in the short-term before the marketplace gets overrun with even more rubbish) for someone to produce a high quality game (using Gideros of course) and then selling it at a reasonable price - say £10 (or $15).

That would be amazing if people will spend that kind of money, these days to get someone to even shell out 50p is near impossible. If this shall bring them back to paying in full numbers and in 2 digits, that would encourage a lot of developers to make some good stuff. Plus it is Android so there will be fewer restrictions on the app (or are there more, kindle wasn't a push over store like Google Play)

Wouldn't the standard FREE angry birds, etc work on Ouya as it is for FREE?
    twitter: @ozapps | http://www.oz-apps.com | http://howto.oz-apps.com | http://reviewme.oz-apps.com
    Author of Learn Lua for iOS Game Development from Apress ( http://www.apress.com/9781430246626 )
    Cool Vizify Profile at https://www.vizify.com/oz-apps
    edited June 2013
    @Ar2rsawseen yep, this morning. :)

Edit: Spoke too soon - it's doing it again - tried IE and Chrome, both say:

"You must be logged in and upgraded to see this file"

But all my details are avalable from the other page - it knows I'm logged in and have upgraded...
  • @ar2rsawseen, everything good now, many thanks. This is fun!

best regards

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
    @bowerandy, oooh and now I'm missing all the fun. You ought to share anything interesting you come up with, you know! :)
  • @ar2rsawseen Thanks for the update. The Gideros Player does indeed install now, and my game appears on screen. Huzzah!

Now, forgive my ignorance here, but everything else you described... does that mean I still can't build my app on its own for Ouya? I checked, and it looked like the .so libs haven't changed, so I figured there's no update there.

Thanks for all your work; this is so exciting.
    @TheOddLinguist you can build apps on your own, just when you are ready to export a gideros project, you need to do the modifications described in install.html, including copying additional ouya .so libs.

But since as I said it is untested, and if you use anything from OUYA class I would not advise to publish it just yet
  • @ar2rsawseen Right, well, I did all that yesterday and got the "BackgroundMusicCreateFromFile" issue, and it doesn't look like there have been any updates to the .so files since then. So, I'm guessing that is still an issue? (Either with my app specifically or the plugin as a whole.)

(And yes, my app's not ready to publish anyway, Ouya or not. This is just playing around time. hehe)
    Ouya libs are updated, so it should work, if you are still getting the error, ping here in forum and we will try to resole it ;)
  • bowerandybowerandy Guru
    edited June 2013
    @bowerandy, oooh and now I'm missing all the fun. You ought to share anything interesting you come up with, you know! :)
    @ar2rsawseen, well, I know you've seen it several times before but here is "Princess Milly" entertaining my daughter today. I chose this to try out on the Ouya because it's the most suitable thing I have right now to work with a controller rather than touch.

@TheOddLinguist, note that music (via MP3) is working here for me.

best regards
    +1 -1 (+8 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • @ar2rsawseen I'm so sorry. I just tried again from scratch: exported from Studio, added/updated the files, and built in Eclipse...and it loaded perfectly on the Ouya. (Well, it was portrait, but that's my mistake.)

So, I just wasted a bunch of forum space when it was obviously my problem. hehe Sorry about that. Now, I'm wasting more. Thanks again! Super excited to play with this. I'll let you know if anything comes up.

@bowerandy Looks great! Very cute.
    Started converting Bacteria to Ouya, most of the work was in converting from portrait to landscape format for the TV. Two players using two joysticks works fine, now to update the game code to support 4 players then I'll put in an IAP.

+1 -1 (+7 / -0 )Share on Facebook