Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Gideros Update 2015.06.30 — Gideros Forum

Gideros Update 2015.06.30

ar2rsawseenar2rsawseen Maintainer
edited June 2015 in Announcements
New Stuff:
Beta: GApp file format for launch on player from command line
Beta: Setting shaders from Lua for Sprite elements
Liquid fun particle system with Box2d
Added KeyCode.SHIFT, SPACE and BACKSPACE
WinRT Add setBlendMode and setPitch
WinRT UrlLoader

Fixes:
Fixed orientation/projection bug
Removed second zoom menu from player
Fixed Mac Retina support (thanks to @apolunin )
Flurry fix and example project
WinRT Allow multiple Alert Dialogs

https://github.com/gideros/gideros/releases/tag/2015.06.30

Disclaimer, I have not yet updated the docs, will try to do that tonight ;)
+1 -1 (+9 / -1 )Share on Facebook

Comments

• ar2rsawseenar2rsawseen Maintainer
    edited June 2015
    oh yeah and it includes desktop and winrt exports for everyone now, at least for what we have at the moment
    +1 -1 (+3 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Note about the shaders stuff: it is already very usable with a few examples given, but the API is still subject to change (hence the Beta).

Shaders give you effective control on the GPU of your devices, and we expect more great shaders to be contributed back through the forum.

We tried to make an API both simple and not too restrictive, but it may be still either too complex or not suited to specific needs. We expect you to give us some feedback about this so that we can make a nice final API.

To get started with shaders in Gideros, please read this document: http://hieroglyphe.net/gideros/Writing shaders for Gideros Mobile.pdf

Enjoy!
  • piepie Member
    Thank you! You're awesome Core team! :)

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • jdbcjdbc Member
    Making a Subway Surfer clone with Gideros is quite near.

+1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • john26john26 Maintainer
    This release represents a significant milestone. For the first time we have released 4 new targets to all Gideros users:

* Windows Desktop
    * Mac OS X Desktop
    * Windows Phone
    * Windows Store

This represents the completion of the core goal of our Kickstarter project. However, the stretch goal -- support Raspberry Pi -- still needs to be done!

We would like to thank our beta testers who have been trialing these new targets over the past two months and pointed out many errors and ommisions. And thanks to all Kickstarter donors without which none of this would be possible!

Here is a document which describes how to use the Windows Phone/Store exports (testing and submission to the app stores) and how to install the Gideros Windows Phone player:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2743cv3xopy7iod/winrt.rtf?dl=0

There is one slight issue on WinRT: I found TextInputDialog boxes hard to implement natively so I have prepared a Lua class to do implement this (drawing everything manually on screen including the soft keyboard). Please obtain it here:

https://github.com/john-blackburn/textinputdialog

Please let me know how you get on with this.
    +1 -1 (+4 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • First i would say thank you the Core Team for this nice work. You guys do a so nice job.
    Thank you for your work and this amazing update.

For myself it was interesting to find out how can i run Gideros and ZeroBrane Studio.

So,
    i tried out and killed my system complete fresh (OS X 10.10.3) installation nothing installed just the newest gideros version from today go to my console go into

Applications/Gideros Studio/Contents/Tools/gdrbridge and tried to start it from there to check if it runs without the QT problem.

and *Boom*

/usr/local/opt/qt5/lib/QtNetwork.framework/Versions/5/QtNetwork
    Referenced from: /Applications/Gideros Studio/Gideros Studio.app/Contents/Tools/./gdrbridge

the same error.. is another people here there have this problem?
    @GiderosFan so it still does not work?

Will need to check that more deeper than

• petecpetec Member
    Thank you to the core team for all the hard work that has gone into this. Much appreciated.

• @ar2rsawseen no send you an message.
  • Some new stuff to play with.
    Owww YEAAAA...

• Nice rounded release this one :D

• MobAmuseMobAmuse Member
    edited July 2015
    I'm almost a total noob to the newer windows phone/rt export feature but when I compile and run on a real device from visual studio, I get a bazillion warnings and errors in debug, but as a release build it works fine - is that normal?

How do I control the 30/60 FPS frame skip/tick per second thing as I'm not sure where to look after searching the entire project for that?

I started testing on a low spec Lumia 620 and also top end lumia 1520 but the frame rate as expected on the lower device is too slow being a 60FPS source Android/iOS project.

Otherwise it's great and good work guys!

Cheers,

Adrian
    About errors, I think it is because only release binaries are provided in the template, probably to make it smaller

@MobAmuse,

you can use application:setFps(60) [default] and setFps(30) as usual. The frame rate never goes faster than this but it might be slower if the device is slow.

But if you use setFps(-60) or setFps(-30) it maintains an apparent frame rate of 60 or 30 fps by skipping frames if it notices it is running slow. So for example, it updates the game logic 60 times per second but redraws the screen 30 times. The game is playable but will not be so smooth on slow devices.

• @john26 OK that's mega info thanks!
    edited July 2015
    @MobAmuse, warnings are ok, they relate to the plugin code json etc. You should not get any errors hopefully! (or it won't run). Did you install the Windows Phone player yet?

• SinisterSoftSinisterSoft Maintainer
    edited July 2015
    @MobAmuse You can also run at the normal 60hz mode and use the event delta information to decide if you have missed a frame, just move things 2x more if you do.

Early in your code:
    frameRate=application:getFps()
    In your frame event:
    	local skip=event.deltaTime*frameRate
    	if skip>1.5 then skip=2 else skip=1 end
    Then just multiply things by skip, eg:
    			distance=bullets[bullet].distance+(bullets[bullet].speed*skip)
    Be careful with collision - you may go twice as far as you expected before - so make sure that the maximum speed objects travel in a frame is less than half the width or height of the object they can collide with (before it would have been the full width or height). That is why I limit skip to 2.

Doing it this way (using setFps(60) ) rather than using -60 is more efficient as the whole game loop doesn't have to be executed - if the loop takes too long using the -60 method then you run the risk that the game will fall over itself and have even more to execute the next game loop cycle - leading to a huge stutter.

Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
    Yes, the -60 and -30 method assumes it takes longer to draw the screen than to update the game logic through ENTER_FRAME events. If that isn't the case, all hell breaks loose! But normally that is a safe assumption.
  • @john26 No not used the player yet just sending the code down to the device(s) in visual studio. Playing with it all really as not got much time to do owt at the moment what with one thing and the other here. Good stuff tho - it's come a long way since the early days :)

• @john26 OK I tried several combo's of... Application:setFps(-60) ...at the very top of my gideros code and it results in this error in Visual Studio when cleaned and sent to a real device...

'[5832] gideros.WindowsPhone.exe' has exited with code 1 (0x01).

Odd? is there anywhere specific I should put setFps(n) perhaps?
  • application:setFps(30) ...works

Sounds samples on infinite loop i.e. 'Channel1=sTitle_Loop:play(0,math.huge)' end after one loop of playback tho.
    You should be able to put the command application:setFps(x) anywhere in the code. It should be lower case "application", not "Application" of course...

You should see Lua output in the Output window of VS (print statements and errors). If you don't see the Output window, run the program in VS and go to DEBUG > Windows > Output to make it appear.

But it's much quicker to use the Windows Phone player to debug.

• MobAmuseMobAmuse Member
    edited July 2015
    Nope all good now ...Somehow the 2 test devices caused one of my devices to stop being reg'd as a developer device. I rebooted the PC and renamed the device and re-reg'd it and everything started working on both devices again. It no longer crashes on the Lumia 620 when is boots with or without application:setFps(n).

Crazy :P

That's all for today methinks :)
  • The looping sound samples still only loop once tho :)

• Hoorah :) well done core Gideros team!
    IMG_0980.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • Gideros has made an awesome progress since the Kickstarter campaign. I am very glad about it. Thanks for all the hard work.

• jdbcjdbc Member
    edited July 2015
    I have exported Bird Animation example project as WinRT project, but I got the error:

Error MSB8020 The build tools for v120_wp81 (Platform Toolset = 'v120_wp81') cannot be found. To build using the v120_wp81 build tools, please install v120_wp81 build tools. Alternatively, you may upgrade to the current Visual Studio tools by selecting the Project menu or right-click the solution, and then selecting "Retarget solution". giderosgame.WindowsPhone C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.Cpp.Platform.targets 57

using Visual Studio 2015 Community and Windows 8.1 (Virtual machine running on VirtualBox)

Any idea?
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    @jdbc, as far as I know you need Visual Studio 2013 at least to compile for Windows 8.1.
  • jdbcjdbc Member
    edited July 2015
    @jdbc, as far as I know you need Visual Studio 2013 at least to compile for Windows 8.1.
    Sorry I mean I am using Visual Studio 2015 Community (the last version)