Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
"Why did we choose Gideros?" — Gideros Forum

"Why did we choose Gideros?"

gorkemgorkem Maintainer
edited February 2013 in Relax cafe
"I’ve been asked a few times already about why we chose to develop using Gideros, rather than say CoronaSDK, Unity, etc. so thought it was about time I wrote up a post on the subject.

We initially built our prototype using CoronaSDK as they had good tooling and very thorough documentation and sample code. Their framework APIs were also one of the easiest to use. However, once we dove deeper into Corona and what it provides, we hit limitations that did not match our needs unless we were willing to pay for an Enterprise License, which is said to cost >$10k.

We also looked briefly into Unity, and while it has a great community and has been used to develop many major games, it seemed more suitable for 3D games and had a heftier price tag.

After that we looked at other Lua-based frameworks and came across Gideros. Gideros is a Lua-based framework that makes it easy to write code that can be exported as native iOS and Android applications with hardware acceleration, a box2D physics engine, and memory management built-in."

More here:

http://pushpoke.com/2013/02/why-did-we-choose-gideros/

+1 -1 (+3 / -0 )Share on Facebook

Comments

• Apart from technical or licence reasons, this quote from your page sums it up for me:

"We haven’t hit any issues that we couldn’t resolve quickly ourselves or with help from the responsive community forums."

And to that I would add, that I have not come across a single disparaging remark in the forums, it is all very encouraging and extremely helpful, unlike one framework I tried.
  • As an ex-corona user, I'd have to say the big thing for me was the simulator / player, being able to develop quickly and easily on a native device was a godsend - which also means NOT being limited to using a Mac (I looked at AGK for the same reason). Also NOT having to have an internet connection to actually build a release version (ok that DOES need a Mac for iOS - but at least I'm not waiting in a queue and being pushed back behind people who've paid more money up front).

The forum is also good - it's a fun friendly place and there's a lot of good natured "banter" that help to "humanise" the development experience - especially if you'r on your own half way around the world from everyone else.
    WhiteTree Games - Home, home on the web, where the bits and bytes they do play!
    #MakeABetterGame! "Never give up, Never NEVER give up!" - Winston Churchill
    +1 -1 (+5 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Thanks @gorkem for including my blog post here.
    [ Twitter: pushpoke | Facebook: facebook.com/pushpoke | Web: pushpoke.com | Letter Stack iOS: letterstack.com ]