Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
TextField strangeness — Gideros Forum

TextField strangeness

I noticed some letters dropping out when creating a TextField. At first I suspect my custom class that breaks text into lines, deals with centering, etc., but I even see the glitch in a new project with just these lines of code:

local nehe = " !\"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~\\"
message_font = TTFont.new("OpenSanCondBold.ttf", 38, nehe)
tf = TextField.new(message_font, "Fine fins finally fishing for fiscal fixers.")
tf:setPosition(10,100)
stage:addChild(tf)

Rather than showing the text, anywhere a lowercase "f" is followed by a lowercase "i", those letters are missing. It shows:

Fine ns nally shing for scal xers.

I haven't seen the issue with any other text. Anyone care to try to repeat that?

I tried with a different font, f44.ttf, and it works fine. But with OpenSanCondBold.ttf, "fi" disappears.

Paul

Comments

• It seems I'm only seeing the issue in the player on Windows. Running in a player on an Android device, everything looks as it should. Odd...
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Accepted Answer
    This is probably caused by harfbuzz plugin, which is enabled by default on the desktop player like all other plugins. I suspect that the font has a ligature for the “fi” sequence, but the charset you supplied doesn’t have it. Either remove the harfbuzz plugin from your player’s Plugins directory, or leave your charset spec string (“”, not nil) empty to enable auto caching.

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Thanks. It seemed there must be something like that going on.