Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
setting permissions when using Gideros to build apk — Gideros Forum

setting permissions when using Gideros to build apk

petecpetec Member
edited October 2017 in General questions
It's been a few years since I used gideros. I've just tried building an apk directly from gideros which was so much easier than using eclipse used to be except for setting permissions. The apk it produced asks for access to precise location, full network/wifi access and control vibration. Is there an easy way to remove these permissions?

Comments

• hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Sure, include the 'Require' plugin in your project and define additional manifest changes in this plugin's properties.
  • Thanks. I couldn't see any way of turning off wifi access in there. Is that possible?
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Doesn't seem to be possible, you're right, and I don't know why gideros asks for this permission at first. My guess is that some plugins need it, and the permission wasn't removed from core gideros when we switched to automatic plugin integration system.
    Only way to remove it currently would be to export as Android studio project and edit Manifest before compiling.
  • Thanks for the reply. I wondered if that's what I'd have to do. Building straight from gideros is great, by the way. Just in this case I need to turn WiFi off as it's an app for young children and I prefer to have it so that parents/adults don't think it might give access to the internet.

+1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Requires has some tick boxes that also set it to work ok on Android TV - these settings I think also remove the requirement for wifi (they ask for it, but it's optional - so not a requirement).
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
  • btw, to check this, on export untick the make apk setting. This will make it so you can look through all the generated files and check the manifest.
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
  • Thank you. I'll give that a go.
  • Just tried setting require to work on Android TV but it still includes the requirement for wifi.
    I'll have to go the AS route for now. If it's not too hard to do, would it be possible in some future version to include a tick box in the require properties for 'wifi is not used in this app' in the same way as there is curently for 'gps is not used in this app'? If it was possible that would be great!

+1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • I like that idea, having those core flags able to be selected in Gideros Studio would be great!
  • I’ve battled my way through AS and got what I wanted. It was a bit of a struggle as I’ve only ever used eclipse before so AS was (and still is) a bit of a mystery.
  • @petec, you aren't alone, I really dislike AS myself :D
  • SinisterSoftSinisterSoft Maintainer
    edited November 2017
    @petec , there will be a new update very soon. @hgy29 has looked and it appears nothing in core Gideros used that permission. So 2017.11 will have this turned off, if it turns out that something needs it then we can add it back quickly with an updated requires plugin.

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • @SinisterSoft That’s really good news. I’ll look forward to the update. Thanks to all involved.
  • Just tried the latest update and it does just what I need. Thank you!
    +1 -1 (+3 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Hi, I am a newbie here. I am using v2018.2.
    I would like to know why it requires Permission of 'fine GPS location' by default? Also, even though after adding the Plugin 'Require' and without the GPS location ticked, the APK exported still requires 'fine GPS location'. Is there anything I miss out? (How to remove that default Permission?)

• image.png
    922 x 474 - 81K
    my games:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=razorback456
    мій блог по гідерос https://simartinfo.blogspot.com
    Слава Україні!
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    edited February 2018
    @newbie2018, follow @oleg indications to remove GPS usage permission. It was decided to leave this as an opt-out since Gideros do support GPS at core, without any plugins. This preserve compatibility with apps made with older gideros versions.
  • @oleg and @hgy29
    Sorry it was my fault. I mistook a 'tick' as to kind of 'enable that feature'
    Yes, it works now. Thanks a lot for your fast response. Really appreciate it. :)

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook