Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Meet future Gideros guru :) — Gideros Forum

Meet future Gideros guru :)

Apollo14Apollo14 Member
edited October 2017 in Introduce yourself
I've been here a while, but only now decided to dive into Gideros :)
My name is George, I've been working as a web developer during last 5 years (the reason I quit: webdev/SEO is extremely overcrowded due to low skill requirements).

So 2 months ago I decided to try Android/iOS development.
I was new to gamedev, so it was hard for me to decide what engine to use.
I was choosing between Unity/Unreal, or maybe even Construct 2 cause it's more newbie-friendly.
Ninjadoodle recommended Gideros, and I'm extremely grateful for that :)

I've noticed that there are very few newbie video tutorials for Gideros and I felt like I really needed them. :) So for two months I was playing with Construct, learning some basic game logic and mechanics.
I planned to release one or two cute little mini-games, using Construct. But, freaking hell, Construct creates so much unnecessary trouble with Cocoon.js exporting that I decided to skip it for good. When it comes to mobile, there are sooo much ugly problems in Construct, which in Gideros (or any other decent software) don't exist at all.

So hi guys! This is my introduction! More newbie questions from me will be coming soon... :)

P. S. By the way, guys, do you know what is better for mobile 3D/VR/AR development - Unity or Unreal?
I just know that they are brilliant for PC games, but how mobile-friendly are they? How newbie-friendly are they? Is mobile even a high priority for them?

Right now it seems like even poor designed android apps become popular just because they are 3D or AR :) (i'm talking about apps of this type: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.akillimum.remotecarar )
Who knows, maybe the greatest opportunities are hidden in new hype technologies like this. It's like developing apps at the beginning of android era, many developers became rich because they were among first pioneers) What do you think about AR now?
> Newcomers roadmap: from where to start learning Gideros
"What one programmer can do in one month, two programmers can do in two months." - Fred Brooks
“The more you do coding stuff, the better you get at it.” - Aristotle (322 BC)
+1 -1 (+3 / -0 )Share on Facebook

Comments

• Hi @Apollo14 welcome. Are you a fellow Kiwi by any chance???

I would pick Unreal Engine over Unity any day but I'm a bit biased because I have a lot of previous experience with Unreal Engine on the PC and every time I tried Unity it was kind of buggy and I couldn't warm to it. I would say that mobile is a big thing for both of them because the mobile space is so huge.

AR is a very interesting technology and there has been some discussion about implementing the Google AR SDK in some fashion. The main thing that is against Gideros with AR is that Gideros hasn't got a lot of 3D support yet, after-all it's primary role is to be a amazingly fast 2D engine, which it totally excels at.

Whilst it is true that Gideros lacks tutorials, it does have a magnificent team of maintainers and a dedicated community who are always willing to lend a hand when you get stuck :)
  • Welcome! I'm still to be convinced about AR, it feels like a cool fad at the moment.

But when comes to 2D game dev, you're in the right place! :)
    My Gideros games: www.totebo.com
  • NinjadoodleNinjadoodle Member
    edited October 2017
    Hi @Apollo14

I'm happy you decided to go for Gideros in the end! I'm working on my first 'Gideros' game and while I'm still picking new stuff up, I've learned everything I know from a few tutorials, the forums, but mainly this awesome community :)

I don't know much about AR and I completely get your point about being one of the first ones in. I however can't honestly be bothered always chasing the next fad/thing just to make money.

I'm a big believer in 'Do what you love, and the success will follow'. Consistency (this is what I personally need to work on) and putting love into your work are the two biggest factors I believe :)

Good luck!

+1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Hi @Apollo14

You can do 3D in gideros, but it's a bit more 'hands-on' than untity/unreal. I recently made by first 3D game, it's meant to be low poly (gideros can do 3D with textures, etc - I just don't do it in this game). Here it is so you can see 3D done in Gideros...
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sinistersoft.retrostar&hl=en

(shameless plug! if you like the game then a 5* review would be great!)
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
  • Apollo14Apollo14 Member
    edited October 2017
    Okay... First problem :(
    I'm following Introductory Gideros Tutorial on youtube...
    Added this code:
    local background = Bitmap.new(Texture.new("field.png"))
    stage:addChild(background)
    I saved project, tried to run GiderosPlayer, it opened.
    I pushed "play" button, but this Visual C++ Runtime Library message comes:
    Runtime error!
    Program:C:\Program Files (x86)\Gideros\GiderosPlayer.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
    Please contact the application's support team for more information.
    (while this error window is active, I can't make screenshots of it too)
    "What one programmer can do in one month, two programmers can do in two months." - Fred Brooks
    edited October 2017
    Examples inside Gideros folder I also can't play in GiderosPlayer.
    I'm on Windows 8.1 Pro x64, Visual C++ x86/x64 2005-2015 installed.

I've tried to restart computer, completely turn off antivirus, it didn't help :(
  • did you add field.png to your project in gideros studio?
  • did you add field.png to your project in gideros studio?
    Yes.
    Gideros' built-in examples also don't play.
  • Wow, strange! Which version of the player are you using?
    My Gideros games: www.totebo.com
  • piepie Member
    Try redownloading and reinstalling the whole package, maybe you have some corrupted file
    +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • I'm using last version 2017.10
    Try redownloading and reinstalling the whole package, maybe you have some corrupted file
    It seems my installation file is corrupted: 674mb instead of 675mb
    Guys, can somebody please re-upload it in zip archive?

I'm always having trouble with amazonaws, this file hosting is terrible, it does not allow download managers, with my 2mbps speed I get corrupted file at the best case (or can't even download anything at all). I had topic about it before.
    @Apollo14 welcome. Are you a fellow Kiwi by any chance???
    I'd love to be Kiwi, but unfortunately not :(
    I'm living in one of the poorest ex-USSR countries, where most of the population have to work as slaves for $90-100 per month, without having other choice.
    edited October 2017
    I've tried to install Gideros from the same 674mb file on my sister's laptop (Win8.1 x64), Gideros Player runs perfectly well.

So installation file is OK, but something is wrong with my PC software or hardware :(
    SinisterSoft, can I gather some logs from somewhere? How to find what causes conflict?
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    @Apollo14,

You can gather a few logs with https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/debugview, but not much is logged so it is hard to say wether it will help or not.
  • piepie Member
    I had a similar issue once with another software and it was my hdd fault. I made a scandisk check, it flagged some bad sectors And everything went well reinstalling.
    edited October 2017
    Guys! I noticed that I have my localhost IP when running GiderosPlayer.
    While on introductory video John has his US IP 139.143.75.77:

Does it have something to do with my problem?
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    That shouldn't be an issue, gideros doesn't need a public IP. I think most of us have private IP shown here.
  • I had a similar issue once with another software and it was my hdd fault. I made a scandisk check, it flagged some bad sectors And everything went well reinstalling.
    Now tried to install it to another HDD, didn't help :(

I guess now I should try that:
    1) Completely uninstall all Visual C++ packages, install them again, try Gideros
    if doesn't help:
    2) Install blank Win10 instead of Win8.1 on my PC
    If even that doesn't help:
    3) change my hardware (now I'm on Asus P7P55D-E PRO, Core i5-760, 4+4Gb RAM DDR3 Zeppelin)

Is there something else to try before going to such extreme measures?
  • antixantix Member
    edited October 2017
    @Apollo Maybe reinstall your Visual C++ RunTimes. I've had an issue once which required one of the x86 ones to need reinstalling.

Run a CHKDSK as @pie suggested and also an SFC /SCANNOW for good measure :)
    edited November 2017
    Hi again guys! I've reinstalled completely Windows, from Win8.1 to Win10, installed all Visual C++ libraries. But problem with Player crashing still exists :((

I guess it is hardware conflict? Can graphics card cause conflict?
    My PC:
    Asus P7P55D-E Pro, Core i5-760, Radeon 7750, 4+4Gb RAM.

And by the way what version of Visual C++ does Gideros actually use? Visual C++ 2015?
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    No idea, Gideros doesn't use VC++ by itself, it relies on QT.
    Can you try to catch eventual debug logs with DebugView (as per my earlier post) ?
  • No idea, Gideros doesn't use VC++ by itself, it relies on QT.
    Can you try to catch eventual debug logs with DebugView (as per my earlier post) ?
    Thanks, hgy29! Here's what I did now:
    1) Opened DebugView
    2) Opened Gideros Studio
    3) Loaded Gideros sample project "bouncing ball"
    4) Started Gideros Player (player window opens without problems)
    5) Pushed "Play" in Gideros Studio
    6) Player stopped answering, after about 5 seconds error window appeared.
    7) I closed Gideros Player, then Gideros Studio

I attached log of it: it seems there are lots of errors!
    (I really really hope that cause of errors will be found, because I don't have much money for complete hardware upgrade)
    LOG
    LOG
    DESKTOP-NEGMD60.LOG
    screen.png
    1920 x 1080 - 147K
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Hi @Apollo14, logs don't show any real issue, so it is hard to tell what goes wrong on your configuration. Might well be OpenGL driver bugs, but it could also be a third party software interfering (via .dll injection).

Best way forward would be for you to install QT (5.9 or better), download gideros sources and run the player from sources in debug mode.
    Alternatively I can build a QT player with symbols and we can try WinDbg and see if it manages to produce a meaningful stack trace
  • keszeghkeszegh Member
    edited November 2017
    you could try to force it to run on dedicated and then on integrated gpu to see if there is any difference (right click on giderosplayer.exe and then hopefully there is an option to run it on chosen gpu).

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Following @keszegh suggestion, this QT-BUG report may be relevant: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-50371
    edited November 2017
    This evening I've tried to plug GeForce graphics card instead of my old Radeon. Didn't help, so definitely it's not gpu that creates conflict.
    Best way forward would be for you to install QT (5.9 or better), download gideros sources and run the player from sources in debug mode.
    Alternatively I can build a QT player with symbols and we can try WinDbg and see if it manages to produce a meaningful stack trace
    I guess, if I change my Motherboard&CPU it could be pretty much guaranteed that problem will be solved?
    As of now we can be sure that conflict exists not because of:
    1) Graphics card
    2) HDD
    2) Win8 or Win10 or visual c++ libraries

What else could it be? RAM? less likely I guess
    the only option I see is Motherboard+CPU
  • Best way forward would be for you to install QT (5.9 or better), download gideros sources and run the player from sources in debug mode.
    OK I'll try to install QT and run the player in debug mode.

And if it doesn't take long, would you be so kind to build QT player with symbols so we can try WinDbg?
    Thanks!
  • antixantix Member
    edited November 2017
    @Apollo14, so you have tried both of the following??

https://www.kapilarya.com/this-application-has-requested-the-runtime-to-terminate-it-in-an-unusual-way-windows-10

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/microsoft-visual-c-runtime-error-windows-10-solved/

One other thing that can cause this issue is a corrupted user profile. Maybe create a new user, log into that user and try the Gideros example again.

You can also clear your event viewer logs, run the example and then post the actual errors that you get in there. That might help to narrow things down.

Oh, and have you tried an earlier version of Gideros?

Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
    +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Hi guys again! :)
    I was lucky to find decent hardware just for ~$250 and decided to upgrade.
    (i5-7400, 4Gb+4Gb DDR4, ASUS B250-PLUS)
    So Gideros Player works now :)
    +1 -1 (+4 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • @Apollo14 nice one. I wonder what was happening though.. maybe a RAM issue, we shall never know I suppose.

At least you can now get to some actual coding :D