Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
What makes Gideros unique... — Gideros Forum

What makes Gideros unique...

Apollo14Apollo14 Member
edited December 2018 in General questions
Hi guys!

If we imagine ourselves in the place of a developer who's interested in game making and is choosing a game engine.
He takes a look at Gideros website, maybe checks forum...
He wants to know why exactly choose Gideros, what is there so good, why not choose corona or whatever else.

If we had to make a 'landing page', what would we place there?
- Instant on-device testing
- Unique async calls system (with link to examples)
- True multi-threading
- Built-in profiler and debugger out of the box
- etc..
What would you suggest if we had to make a very concrete list?
(maybe we should make such page at least on gideros wiki?)

B)

> Newcomers roadmap: from where to start learning Gideros
"What one programmer can do in one month, two programmers can do in two months." - Fred Brooks
“The more you do coding stuff, the better you get at it.” - Aristotle (322 BC)
+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook

Comments

• Good idea, then when the main website gets updated they have a list to pick from.

Here you are:
    https://wiki.giderosmobile.com/index.php/Why_use_Gideros?

You have a wiki account. :)
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
  • 1. Personally, when I choose for myself an engine is looking at the section 'quick start' where short examples of how to make the game from the beginning to the end

2.I also look at the game engine store - can I sell my game codes in it

** for artists it is useful to buy a finished game and just draw a graphic for her without encoding
    image.png
    937 x 708 - 99K
    111111111111111111.PNG
    1412 x 619 - 395K
    my games:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=razorback456
    мій блог по гідерос https://simartinfo.blogspot.com
    Слава Україні!
    +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • @oleg I'm not sure how far can we go with other people's assets.
    To me it's very inconvenient to decipher other people's code.
    And their image collections are useless cause anyway I'll have to add more sprites there, and my sprites won't match their style (unless it's very primitive, like 'flat style').
    "What one programmer can do in one month, two programmers can do in two months." - Fred Brooks
  • antixantix Member
    edited December 2018
    I agree with @oleg in as far as the quick start and examples. Gideros has not been great in this respect.

And @Apollo14 is correct when it comes to asset packs.. they always leave out something.. and quite often are made by people who have no idea about programming so all of their assets are queer non programming dimensions!

Any code shared should be easy to read. If it's too complicated then people will switch off. On the other hand as long as the documentation is good (for say a particle class) then people just need to know what to feed the class to get the desired result.. they don't ever have to look at the code if they don't want to.

If I was to make a landing page.. err.. hangon.. I did! I made it one page, easy to see the features, and had links to immediately get started! It was not well received so I just deleted the entire thing.

Dislikes: talis

+1 -1 (+0 / -1 )Share on Facebook
  • Apollo14Apollo14 Member
    edited January 2019
    Hey guys!
    I've updated page "Why use Gideros", added 7 advantages, as I see it.

It would be great if you add some more and help to improve the page (maybe also check grammar).
    Thx!

(I'm new to wiki formatting, list of advantages doesn't look very good visually :(
  • piepie Member
    @Apollo14 I think that one of the reasons why I choose Gideros over "the crown" and others, was the ability to compile apps locally on my laptop.
    Another reason worth mentioning now in the list is that it is free and Open Source.
    If you're not happy with it (which is an unexpected event imho) you can always switch to another engine, or - if you are skilled enough - you could pick up the source and improve it to your needs.

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Apollo14Apollo14 Member
    edited January 2019
    @pie thx, that's very good reasons, I've added them.

@SinisterSoft @hgy29 can you create new page in wiki? "Third party tools" (or something like that), we should add there programs like Zerobrane, TNT Animator, Texture Packer, etc.
    (I didn't find if I can create new pages or only edit older ones)