Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Mediation ad platform — Gideros Forum

Mediation ad platform

totebototebo Member
edited November 2016 in General questions
Has anyone got Gideros up and running with mediation on iOS and Android?

Ie, platforms like Admob, Supersonic, Appodeal, DeltaDNA or Fyber that serve ads from a host of networks (Admob, Adcolony, Applovin, Chartboost, Vungle, Unity etc.).

My Gideros games: www.totebo.com
+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook

Comments

• @totebo I tried AppoDeal, but didn't succeed. This was partly due to my lack of knowledge as well as the documentation being out date.

We are using admob mediation using SDK-less ad providers now. However, it's too early to tell if this will work for us.

The Gideros ad plugins all seem to be at various stages development. Monetisation is an essential part an indie game developer's business strategy, so I would really like to know how we can maintain these plugins ourselves.

• mertocanmertocan Member
    Accepted Answer
    I am using appodeal. They have gideros plugin in their website.

https://www.appodeal.com/sdk/documentation?framework=6&full=1&platform=4

+1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Thanks guys!
  • Never tried appodeal (but I love their docs section, it seems to be really easy to set it up)
    It looks promising @mertocan how is it doing on your games?
    Do you earn something or is it like my chartboost profile? (0.02$ earnings so far.. :D )
  • I have implemented it but not updated my game yet. However, It is better than the other ad platforms. Because, ads are shown depending on their ecpm values for specific location.

• Just a thought but maybe if creating plugins was easier (better documented, etc) then maybe other companies would create and maintain Gideros plugins for their networks.

I'm with @simwhi.. monetisation is essential. Without it you might as well not bother.
    +1 -1 (+4 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • @pie Chartboost has gone rubbish for me, try AppLovin. :)
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
  • I think I will try appodeal, it includes applovin too.. if I could make it work it's just a single provider to integrate in my apk :)
  • @pie Do you know that you have to include every ad SDK in your project for AppoDeal?
  • piepie Member
    edited November 2016
    No, I didn't know =(( I was just being optimistic.. I figure I would have learned that sooner or later :)
    [edit: @simwhi are you sure? appodeal sdk includes some libs (.jar) files and its docs say to use only provided libraries, take a look at their "web based wizard":
    https://www.appodeal.com/sdk/choose_framework ]
  • simwhisimwhi Member
    edited November 2016
    @pie I'm pretty sure, but by all means give it a go. I may have been mistaken. If you get it working please share!!

We really need to have a simple ads implementation.

• piepie Member
    edited November 2016
    I agree, that's why I hope you're wrong! :)
    Right now it's too early to include ads in my next game (and I don't want to mess up my already published one) but I will certainly share my findings.
    However, just to encourage everyone, appodeal docs provide example manifest and as inclusion instructions on android there is only:
    5.1. SDK and plugin integration
    Place all .jar files and libads.so from the SDK archive into the libs folder of your gideros exported app.
    Also include Google Play Services lib (7.5+) in your project.
    waiting to hear from mertocan experience.. :)
  • simwhisimwhi Member
    edited January 2017
    @pie You'll also need to connect your admob account to appodeal using a browser plugin. I also had problems with 64k references limitation, but this can be resolved by just referencing the specific features required by google play services.

It looks like they have updated the lib recently too.
  • i guess 64k limitation issue can be fixed when all libs are in DEX file. when i faced that problem i contacted their support and they provided me such build. excluding several libs is also a variant, but i would clarify that with their support. also, appodeal sdk includes all necessary libs and there is no need to add sdk of each single network manually.

it should be all fine with their docs, when you enter their website you just need to choose Gideros in framework field, then you choose the platform (Android) and ad formats you'd like to use and see the relevant instruction. For Gideros it should look like this:

4. Gideros Integration
    4.1. SDK and plugin integration
    Place all .jar files and libads.so from the SDK archive into the libs folder of your gideros exported app.

Also include Google Play Services lib (7.5+) in your project.

4.2. SDK initialization
    To initialize SDK you need to add following code to the beginning of your gideros project:

require "ads"
    require "bit"
    INTERSTITIAL = 1
    SKIPPABLE_VIDEO = 2
    BANNER = 4
    BANNER_BOTTOM = 8
    BANNER_TOP = 16
    BANNER_CENTER = 32
    REWARDED_VIDEO = 128
    NON_SKIPPABLE_VIDEO = 128
    appKey = "fee50c333ff3825fd6ad6d38cff78154de3025546d47a84f"
    appodeal = Ads.new("appodeal")
    appodeal:setKey(appKey, bit.bor(INTERSTITIAL | REWARDED_VIDEO))
    end)
    Collapse Copy to clipboard
    4.3. Interstitial Integration
    4.3.1. Display interstitial

appodeal:showAd(INTERSTITIAL)
    Copy to clipboard
    4.3.2. Setting Interstitial callbacks

appodeal:addEventListener(Event.AD_RECEIVED, function(e)
    if e.type=="interstitial" then
    end
    end)
    appodeal:addEventListener(Event.AD_FAILED, function(e)
    end
    end)
    appodeal:addEventListener(Event.AD_ACTION_BEGIN, function(e)
    end
    end)
    appodeal:addEventListener(Event.AD_DISMISSED, function(e)
    end
    end)
    appodeal:addEventListener(Event.AD_DISPLAYED, function(e)
    end
    end)
    Collapse Copy to clipboard
    4.4. Rewarded (Non-skippable) Video Integration
    4.4.1. Display Rewarded (Non-skippable) Video

To display rewarded video you need to call the following code in activity:

appodeal:showAd(REWARDED_VIDEO)
    Copy to clipboard
    4.4.2. Setting rewarded video callbacks

appodeal:addEventListener(Event.AD_RECEIVED, function(e)
    if e.type=="rewarded" then
    end
    end)
    appodeal:addEventListener(Event.AD_FAILED, function(e)
    end
    end)
    appodeal:addEventListener(Event.AD_DISMISSED, function(e)
    end
    end)
    appodeal:addEventListener(Event.AD_DISPLAYED, function(e)
    end
    end)
    appodeal:addEventListener(Event.AD_ACTION_END, function(e)
    end
    end)

• @QuentinX Thanks for making this very clear.
  • Agree with guys who suggest appodeal. I work with them for 3 months - ecpm is higher than I used before one network. Looking forward holidays. I heard from my friends that this period you can earn for a year ahead. so hurry up;)
  • Do you guys know how mediation companies make their money? I'm guessing they take a cut of the revenue from each network?

Dislikes: bibigul

+1 -1 (+0 / -1 )Share on Facebook
  • piepie Member
    edited November 2016
    of course they do, they are mediators :D
    Their support service told me that the percentage is dynamic, it varies on your traffic, and it is
    Appodeal will pay you a portion of the revenues actually received by Appodeal from advertisers for Advertisements displayed on your advertising inventory via the Services, as determined by Appodeal from time to time in its sole discretion. The compensation payable to you shall be based on a percentage of the Net Revenue (“Net Revenue Share”). Net Revenue Share is determined dynamically for each impression and is based on terms negotiated programmatically between Appodeal and the advertiser. Payments will be calculated solely based on records maintained by Appodeal, and no other measurements or statistics of any kind will be accepted or have any effect.
    That's not much different from what I do with other providers..
    :)
  • Cheers, that makes sense. May make more sense to do a hard coded mediation using the lovely Ads Interface instead. To grab a bit more dough from each network!
  • I had a go with AppoDeal - money dropped pretty sharply. Could try them again, but afraid to risk it a second time.
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
  • Which networks did you hook up @sinistersoft? You still have to install all if them in XCode and Android Studio, right?
  • @sinistersoft what did u use before/after appodeal and which formats?
    i personally use them for a long time, to my exp money dropdowns might happen in the end of Q because advertisers set new budgets + it’s usual situation for whole market each Q.
    also traffic volume is crucial, if u have like a couple of thousands imps/day you should’t expect super results from mediation, because that amount of imps won’t be enough to cover all possible sources that could buy ads for max price.
  • I use chartboost and applovin, applovin currently is the better one though. The fall in revenue was dramatic when I tried appodeal.
  • @totebo yes.

Another problem is that before I needed to have tv compatible ads, I'm not sure if appodeal 'knows' about android tv and fire tv ads?
  • @sinistersoft as i remember they dont support android/fire tv ads. but have sdk for apple tv os.
  • That's the problem - i like to do a universal apk - so just one build - then send out to everything (android-wise).
  • @sinistersoft i think it wouldn't have much sense because sdk for all andoid wise devices would be too heavy + technically it seems to be quite a difficult task because not all networks and demand sources support all android-wise devices.
  • But that's what I do now, and it works. :)
  • I have asked Appodeal to explain their Mediation system.

They replied,
    hello
    The first few thousand impressions will be led through the ad networks: Admob and Adcolony (in the case of video ads). So we will be able to analyze your traffic and enable the most appropriate network for you.
    Thus, each connected network will be trained based on your traffic and show unstable indicators.
    On learning from networks takes several thousand impressions for each application (with a good traffic this process is completely invisible). After that eCPM will be align.
    I would like to recommend you to put right all the traffic and look at the indicators. For a realistic assessment of the statistics we need to achieve a stable 2-3 thousand impressions per day for each application separately.
    So, you should wait until you have 2-3 thousands impressions to get higher eCPM values. They select best ad network for specific people. It increases your eCPM values.
  • @mertocan Interesting. Let us know how you get on.