Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Using a mask and the new sprite skew commands to make a shadow — Gideros Forum

Using a mask and the new sprite skew commands to make a shadow

SinisterSoftSinisterSoft Maintainer
edited October 2016 in Code snippets
I sometimes create a mask of a sprite to have pixel perfect collision detection and to allow a sprite to flash a particular colour if hit by a bullet - like old arcade games used to flash a sprite white.

This mask can now also be used to make a nice shadow effect by using new sprite 'skew' commands available in the next version of Gideros (2016.10 ?)...
	p.shadow=Bitmap.new(c.mask)
	p.shadow:setAnchorPosition(0.5,0.5)
	p.shadow:setSkewX(-40)
	p.shadow:setX(30)
	p.shadow:setScaleY(1.4)
	p.shadow:setY(-14)
	p.shadow:setColorTransform(0,0,0)
	p.shadow:setAlpha(0.5)
The code first makes the anchor point to the middle of the sprite (like the main sprite). It then sets the x skew so that it leans to the right, the x is adjusted so that shadow and the feet line up. I increase the Y scale as shadows are usually quite tall and adjust the Y so the shadow and feet line up again. My mask is white, but shadows are usually black - so I adjust the colour transform (multipliers) to get rid of any colour. Shadows are also usually transparent so the alpha is adjusted to make this happen.

Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
https://deluxepixel.com
+1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook

Comments

• antixantix Member
    edited October 2016
    That's pretty cool. I think I'm still on 2016.6 :D

You're using the pixel class for your radar at the top left right? That's a very handy class the Pixel class. You can even use it for a laser beam which just shows how flexible it really is.

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • SinisterSoftSinisterSoft Maintainer
    edited October 2016
    No, I'm using the path2d for the lines - using the same shape for the pitch but with the coordinate array changed by a multiplier. I use a particles sprite for all of the players on the radar - so they get drawn at once. I may make it so the particles have an alpha decay - then add 22 particles per frame with the players current positions - so they 'sweep' around with a decay trail.

I was going to use a different viewport and just redraw everything there - but the pitch lines and players were actually too small when it scaled. They look better thicker than real life.
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
  • n1cken1cke Maintainer
    > how flexible it really is
    @antix: [spoiler] in upcoming release Pixel will become most flexible and useful class in Gideros ;)
    +1 -1 (+4 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • So much for not building up expectations. :D

My Gideros games: www.totebo.com
  • antixantix Member
    edited October 2016
    @SinisterSoft, I meant using pixels for the actual radar dots. Particles though eh? Might have to look at those :)

Since the radar will never change is a path more efficient than just plopping a bitmap there instead?
  • It would be, but it's currently a proto with hardly any sprites - also I know that path2d looks great on any native resolution. :)