Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Gideros Game Jam - Who would be interested? — Gideros Forum

Gideros Game Jam - Who would be interested?

NinjadoodleNinjadoodle Member
edited July 2016 in Announcements
Hi guys

As a part of the 'Planet Gideros' launch, I'm planning on organising a Gideros Game Jam.

Couple of things I would like to see are ...

- Game should be playable online (HTML5), for easy judging and possibly of going viral.
- Games should include the Gideros Logo, in order to advertise this awesome framework and help the community.
- The participants retain complete ownership of their work.
- The time frame will be 2-4 weeks (yet do decide).

I will publish a full set of rules when it's closer to the time.

I'm still working out all the details, but in the meantime, I wanted to see whether you guys have any ideas on what we could offer as prizes.

Some of my ideas are ...

T-shirts
E-books
Paid-extensions
Stickers
Vouchers
etc.

If you guys can think of anything better, or if you have something, that could be thrown into the prize pool, that would be awesome!!

I'm really exited about this whole thing, and if we can get enough people to participate, there will be a whole lot more games out there advertising Gideros.

Let me know if you have any feedback/ideas, or if you are planning to participate.

Thanks heaps!

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook

Comments

• antixantix Member
    For me personally, just participating would be enough. Is there a tutorial on how to get HTML5 setup and running for testing purposes? If newbies are going to participate they will need that kind of information.
  • NinjadoodleNinjadoodle Member
    edited July 2016
    @antix - cool, I'm happy you're exited :) I think that the html5 setup is a good idea - and this could perhaps be one of the tutorials in the first issue. Obviously, at first this will be reasonably small, but as it grows, it could become REALLY good for Gideros, and the community.

PS. I still like the idea of some form of giveaway - even if its just some Gideros T-shirts :)
  • piepie Member
    I like the idea of a game jam, but I feel that at this time our money investment should be focused on gideros development and maintenance than on giveaways :D
    As a prize, the winning game(s) could be featured on the website, maybe with a link chosen by the winner (ie. his/her website/market page).

@antix html5 local test setup is no setup:

1) Export app as html5

2)open gideros.html in exported directory with a browser supporting html5

using chrome, you probably need to launch it like this:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18586921/how-to-launch-html-using-chrome-at-allow-file-access-from-files-mode/18587027#18587027

use F12 to see chrome console and read about errors

edited July 2016
    Hi @pie

I completely understand your point of view. I wasn't really thinking of actually putting money into this, instead I wanted to see whether some members would be happy to donate to a kind of 'pool of prizes'.

For example @ar2rsawseen has written a book about making games with Gideros. If he was happy to donate a copy to the pool, that would be awesome!

This is just an example, as I think many members here might have something to contribute (not money).

I definitely want to keep this as low cost as possible :)

Also, like you suggested, I would like to make it a part of the rules, that all the (HTML5 versions of the games will be featured on the Game Jam website (planetgideros.com).

If we can get some people talking about us and playing the games - it will really help get the Gideros name out there!

• i also think that prizes are not that important.
    also to gain visibility it would be even better if people using gideros would participate in game jams not restricted to gideros. this way others would notice this great framework.
    of course a gideros game jam should be fun too.
  • especially ludum dare is one which would be nice to participate in.
    edited July 2016
    Hi @keszegh

Thank you for the feedback. I'm definitely not set on the prizes, but I'd like to see what happens, and if anybody offers anything :)

I think Ludum Dare is awesome and definitely something the Gideros devs should partake in, but I still think that a Gideros specific game jam is a great idea.

Most game engines that I've tried hold these types of Jams regularly (Construct 2, Stencyl, etc.)

edited July 2016
    Hi guys

I'm going to leave this post up for a week or two and see how many people are interested. I would ideally like to have at least 10 Gideros regulars interested in participating, in order to go ahead.

So, if you like the idea of this / want to participate, please leave a comment :)

Thank yooooou!
  • antixantix Member
    Count me in. So will this be the kind of jam where you handout a theme?

edited July 2016
    @antix - awesome (that's 1 - lol) Yup, and keep it secret until the start :)

Im still thinking about this tho - I would preferably want some judges, so I could enter - they could decide on the theme.

OR, every participant could come with a theme, which we put in a hat, and draw one.
  • chuz0chuz0 Member
    Hi,
    I just wanted to propose something regarding the promotion of Gideros.
    I've checked and there's a subreddit for it at http://reddit.com/r/gideros with only 3 posts...

I think that if we could put some juicy material there, such as @antix or @billydb blogs along with news and even the posts we read there, it would be fairly easy to attract people from other related subs (gamedevs, androidgaming, etc...)

Just a thought....
  • antixantix Member
    edited July 2016
    I've got that subreddit bookmarked and go there from time to time but there are never any new posts. I think the forums here should remain the central area for community activities but some posts to the reddit might attract others reddit lurkers.

One way to promote Gideros is to get into a few subreddits and start spreading the word. Especially on gamedev there are quite a few "I want to make games, what framework should I use?" questions. I try to always pop in there and say "Why Gideros my fine fellow". It would be good if others lurked in those reddits and promoted Gideros a bit too. But I'm happy on my one man crusade regardless ;)

@billydb has a blog? Where?
  • chuz0chuz0 Member
    @antix
    My bad, this is the blog I was meaning : http://bluebilby.com/category/tutorials/

• antixantix Member
    Oh, righty ho :D