Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat
Guys, from where to start practical learning C++? - Gideros Forum

Guys, from where to start practical learning C++?

Hi all!

I know we have C++ adepts here! :smile:

I've decided to start learning C++ (I hope to manage 30-50 minutes every morning, this way I won't be distracted from main activities and won't have information overload).

C++ is vast, there're literally tens of thousands of books and resources, I don't know where to start.
And I should choose something very practical, very specific. I've decided to explore some vanilla C++ basics, then try some practical stuff in Unreal Engine.

My purposes are:
1) Contribute to Gideros plugins (if I'll become competent enough)
2) Satisfy my curiousity:
- what is there so scary in C++
- see how stuff works in 3D, particularly Unreal Engine
- see why exactly Lua is considered a great choice for game scripting (I didn't work with C++/C#, so I don't understand real reasons)

What exactly should I learn to be able to contribute to Gideros? Can you suggest some stuff? (books, other resources, etc.)

Thanks, guys!

George.
> Newcomers roadmap: from where to start learning Gideros
"What one programmer can do in one month, two programmers can do in two months." - Fred Brooks
Tagged:
+1 -1 (+3 / -0 ) Share on Facebook

Comments

• hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    It really depends on which programming languages you already know. You'll need to learn C/C++ syntax, but many other languages were inspired from it (PHP, Java, Javscript, ...). Second thing, in C, as in many other languages, you need to manage memory (allocate/free) yourself.
    Other than that C/C++ is not really difficult. I can't give you book references since I didn't learn programming by books, but if you want to contribute to gideros for better graphics possibilities I think you should also understand how opengl/GPU rendering pipelines work.
    +1 -1 (+2 / -0 ) Share on Facebook
  • antixantix Member
    Well I've been accepted on a Computer Sciences course at a local polytech so I'll be learning computery stuff (most of which I know) and programming (C++ and Java) for the next 3 years.. if the government gives me a student loan :)

I'm looking forward to contributing a bit more to Gideros also :)
    +1 -1 (+3 / -0 ) Share on Facebook
  • Thx guys!
    After little research I've decided to learn C++ basics from Learn X in Y Minutes and 'C++ Primer' by Lippman (this book is most frequently recommended for beginners).
    hgy29 said:

It really depends on which programming languages you already know...
    ...for better graphics possibilities I think you should also understand how opengl/GPU rendering pipelines work.

Currently I'm familiar only with scripting languages: JS and Lua.
    antix said:

Well I've been accepted on a Computer Sciences course at a local polytech so I'll be learning computery stuff (most of which I know) and programming (C++ and Java) for the next 3 years.. if the government gives me a student loan :)

IMO you can start learning C++ beforehand, it will make your education much easier later.
    > Newcomers roadmap: from where to start learning Gideros
    "What one programmer can do in one month, two programmers can do in two months." - Fred Brooks