Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Gideros for a total beginner? - Page 2 — Gideros Forum

Gideros for a total beginner?

2»

Comments

• antixantix Member
    Personally I think unity is very bloated (unreal engine is that way now also) and as @oleg says... your exports suffer because it has to mash way too much into your APK files.

Currently in Gideros we can use Tiled to create our levels and real code to make them come alive. The tool in the video makes that a lot easier but you aren't really programming anymore, you're just drang'n'dropping stuff, having no idea what's happening behind the scenes that makes it actually work.

That's not necessarily an evil thing though because it removes a barrier that a creative person with little or no coding skill may have when it comes to creating games. I think that people should also know a bit how things work behind the curtain however :)

My book (should I ever complete it) will have source code for an entire platformer game included. Readers won't need to fully understand how the code works, they will just need to learn (in code of course) how to feed it data that it then displays as an actual game.
    +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • @antix please write a book on how to make RTS or RPG games :D Actually I just need to understand how to make a map for my simple strategy game and then implement pathfinding. Want to do something similar to civilization, but much much more primitive :)
  • antixantix Member
    @simonl ahh the only RTS I ever really played was Red Alert2 and Yuri's Revenge, by far the best ever made ;)

I think Gideros needs some pathfinding code built in like the jumper.lua library maybe.

RPG games I have a keen interest in and I'll make one one day, it's kind of a large subject to be able to be mashed into my book :D
  • antix said:

Red Alert2 and Yuri's Revenge, by far the best ever made ;)

can confirm that B)
    > Newcomers roadmap: from where to start learning Gideros
    "What one programmer can do in one month, two programmers can do in two months." - Fred Brooks
    “The more you do coding stuff, the better you get at it.” - Aristotle (322 BC)
  • Yes @antix I know that RPG is a big subject and you can dedicate an entire book for it. I was just joking. The only things is that good books/tutorials about RPG or strategy games practically non exist. Would be really something new to have a this type of tutorial for framework/engine like Gideros. Maybe someday :)

Speaking about pathfinding currently im trying to create my own A* implementation. Will see how it goes.

And Read Alert 2... oh God yes, one of the best. Also Starcraft, Warcraft 3, Age of Empires 2, Rise of Nation was really interesting project. But for me Heroes 3 and Civilization are the sh*t. Currently bought Civilization 6 with DLCs. Really fun game.
  • Apollo14Apollo14 Member
    edited March 2018
    simonl said:

Would be really something new to have a this type of tutorial...

Granted :D
    A Roguelike in 8 steps [Gideros tutorial]

> Newcomers roadmap: from where to start learning Gideros
    "What one programmer can do in one month, two programmers can do in two months." - Fred Brooks
    “The more you do coding stuff, the better you get at it.” - Aristotle (322 BC)
    +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook

• @Apollo14 oh my.., thank you. This is awesome!

• @pie thank you. Added to bookmarks. This definitely will be helpful. Just need to understand how Lua modules works and how to use LuaRocks. As i understand this is the same as Python pip or Node npm.
  • antixantix Member
    @simonl have a look at the Jumper library, it's pretty groovy :)
  • elveselves Member
    Accepted Answer
    Gideros is worth investing time in. It really is cross platform; you can generate mobile apps and web applications.

My background; I, too learnt about Lua from Wireshark. I've used Lua (Codea) on the iPad and tried Corona when it wasn't free. Then I found Gideros, and keep coming back to it when I'm programming.

I've used Gideros in an Enterprise company. I recommend a games engine for all mobile apps because they allow a rich user experience. Games engines allow "UX Choreography".

p.s. I've been a programmer for just over 50 years.

--
    Get your CIX on route 109.123.97.120
    +1 -1 (+3 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • totebototebo Member
    Great to have you here @elves! Look forward to seeing your games.

My Gideros games: www.totebo.com