Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Hello everybody! — Gideros Forum

Hello everybody!

John_VellaJohn_Vella Member
edited October 2017 in Introduce yourself
Hello!

My name is John, and I signed up to this forum, having been advised to do so by SinisterSoft, who I met at Play Expo in Manchester, today.

I have been developing games using Unity3D for almost two years, by Mr SS convinced me to give Gideros a try, so here I am, raring to go!

I am, for those who are interested, a 49 year old College Tutor, who develops in his spare time, and I am married with three kids and two grandkids.

I think that's about it, so I'll end by saying that it's great to be here, and I look forward to learning more about this new system.

:D
+1 -1 (+5 / -0 )Share on Facebook

Comments

• Welcome @John_Vella nice to meet you. Hopefully you don;t find the transition from Unity to Gideros too taxing. We are all here to assist with any questions you might have ;)

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • I have been developing games using Unity3D for almost two years, by Mr SS convinced me to give Gideros a try, so here I am, raring to go!
    Hi! :)
    What arguments did he use to convince you? :)
    In what cases Gideros is more preferable than Unity?
    > Newcomers roadmap: from where to start learning Gideros
    "What one programmer can do in one month, two programmers can do in two months." - Fred Brooks
    “The more you do coding stuff, the better you get at it.” - Aristotle (322 BC)
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    In what cases Gideros is more preferable than Unity?
    If you want my opinion: All cases :) Unless for something that gideros can't do.

+1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Having only dabbled with Unity, I'd say it's more of a preference thing. Unity has a much bigger user base, and a massive asset store to extend it. But that same asset store is filled with rubbish, so it takes a little effort to do seemingly simple things.

In 2D there are big gaps in Unity. For instance Unity doesn't support Liquid Fun, which is an amazing library. Gideros has basic support, which is about to become extensive support, for Liquid Fun. And with Gideros' automated plugins it's as easy, if not easier, to use when it comes to extensions.

Of course, if you want 3D unity is the better option. But I think it's better for Gideros to focus 2D, since at its heart it's a 2D engine.

My Gideros games: www.totebo.com
  • We just had a short conversation about the differences between Unity and Gideros, where it was explained to me that the latter is open source, and will remain so, whereas Unity is not guaranteed to remain free.

I've got a couple of projects on the go that are too close to the finish line to restart, so I'll take the time to learn Gideros while finishing off my W.I.P projects then start an all new project on Gideros when I'm a bit more experienced and confident using the package.
    +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Yep Gideros has its roots in 2d and it's a lot more "hands on" as there are many things you need to do yourself still. This is changing however, the recent addition of the Bump plugin (plug for @hgy29 there) has made AABB collision in Gideros a breeze.

If I could make plugins myself there are a bunch of things I would add also ;)
  • The main problem I see with Unity is that it is closed source. Normally this wouldn't be an issue, but...

What shakes my confidence in it is that they seem to be always chasing funding - the last funding round was for $400 million in March. The year before it was for $181 million and so on. They must literally be burning through cash.

The model to earn them a return on this money also keeps changing - every year they seem to have different options as to what is free and what isn't. If I was an investor then I'd be pretty concerned that I'd never get a return on the investment.

We live in a world that companies such as Facebook, Amazon, Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft can pay off scared investors and gain access to technology on a whim - look at how Microsoft basically bought Nokia. If one of these companies bought Unity then they could instantly wipe out 90% of the games being made for their competitors.

If you are targetting PC.OSX and need 3D then Unreal or Lumberyard would be a better bet than Unity as they are open source.

It must also be said though - that if you are also making a mobile version then speed and compatibility range is more important than render quality or utilities. For that I don't think anything beats Gideros. I know my game runs on far more types of Android device than any of the big 3D devkits do, it also runs faster.

Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
  • SinisterSoftSinisterSoft Maintainer
    edited October 2017
    btw, I too am looking at Liquid Fun (built-in to gideros) for a future project - have to look at Bump though - too not had chance to yet.
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com