Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
How to animate many squares most efficiently - Page 2 — Gideros Forum

How to animate many squares most efficiently

2»

Comments

• totebototebo Member
    edited November 2015
    Calm your boots John, this is exactly what I've done. :)

Single mesh, and only setVertex to move the squares. To be able to use easing I use MovieClip to do that part, but using a custom attribute for the tween so it uses setVertex instead. Code attached. Turns out GTween is faster that MovieClip in this case.

Just setting position is a lot faster, so it's likely GTweeen and MovieClip causing the slowdown. Maybe there is another way of using the easing library that is faster?

Edit: Just tested the same code on an iOS device, where it is slower than with many Shapes! To be continued...
    zip
    zip
    Squares2.zip
    My Gideros games: www.totebo.com
  • john26john26 Maintainer
    Accepted Answer
    I think you have to abandon MovieClip and GTween in this case. You cannot consider the individual squares as "objects", the entire mesh is an object.

Here is an update of the code above that shows a simple animation. It's like what you did originally but just linear interpolation. (If you want to use the inOutSine etc just look in the easing.lua file that comes with GTween.)
    function rgb(r,g,b)
       return math.floor(r)*65536+math.floor(g)*256+math.floor(b)
    end

local size=50
    local frame=0
    local xtarget={}
    local ytarget={}
    local mesh=Mesh.new()

function update()

if moving then

for i=1,1000 do
              local x=xtarget[i]*frame/200
              local y=ytarget[i]*frame/200
              local vstart=(i-1)*4

mesh:setVertex(vstart+1,x+0,y+0)
              mesh:setVertex(vstart+2,x+size,y+0)
              mesh:setVertex(vstart+3,x+size,y+size)
              mesh:setVertex(vstart+4,x+0,y+size)
         end

frame=frame+1

if (frame==200) then
              moving=false
              print ("finished moving")
         end
    end

end

for i=1,1000 do
      local vstart=(i-1)*4
      local istart=(i-1)*6

xtarget[i] = math.random(100)
      ytarget[i] = math.random(100)

local x,y=0,0

mesh:setVertex(vstart+1,x+0,y+0)
      mesh:setVertex(vstart+2,x+size,y+0)
      mesh:setVertex(vstart+3,x+size,y+size)
      mesh:setVertex(vstart+4,x+0,y+size)

local r = math.random(255)
      local g = math.random(255)
      local b = math.random(255)
      local a = math.random()

local hexcol=rgb(r,g,b)

mesh:setColor(vstart+1,hexcol,a)
      mesh:setColor(vstart+2,hexcol,a)
      mesh:setColor(vstart+3,hexcol,a)
      mesh:setColor(vstart+4,hexcol,a)

mesh:setIndex(istart+1,vstart+1)
      mesh:setIndex(istart+2,vstart+2)
      mesh:setIndex(istart+3,vstart+3)
      mesh:setIndex(istart+4,vstart+1)
      mesh:setIndex(istart+5,vstart+3)
      mesh:setIndex(istart+6,vstart+4)
    end

stage:addChild(mesh)
    mesh:setY(100)

-- Mem and fps
    local sceneDebug = SceneDebug.new()
    sceneDebug:addEventListener( Event.ENTER_FRAME, sceneDebug.update, sceneDebug )
    stage:addChild( sceneDebug )

moving=true
    stage:addEventListener(Event.ENTER_FRAME,update)
    Note, no MovieClip or GTween and it runs at 60 FPS.

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Wow, this is a lot faster. I think you're right; inheriting from Sprite and/or creating a GTween/MovieClip for each square seems to slow things down a lot. Thanks a lot!
  • totebototebo Member
    edited November 2015
    I've managed to keep the speed (thanks John) and still keep things OOP. Now I'm down to the last bit, to animate it with a nice easing.

Any idea how I would replace:
    local x=xtarget[i]*frame/200
    local y=ytarget[i]*frame/200
    With an easing from easing.lua? I've looked at easing.lua, but I haven't figured out how to actually use the easing equations in it.
  • john26john26 Maintainer
    edited November 2015 Accepted Answer
    I think this
    local x=xtarget[i]*easing.inBack(frame/200)
    And the same for other easings. You need to add easing.lua to your project. This assumes you want it to complete after 200 frames.

This amount of maths in Lua may slow things down again, in which case LuaJIT would be better since it compiles the Lua code. But I don't think you are actually using as many as 1000 squares in the real game...?

Some of the easing functions use math.sin etc and, as @SinisterSoft says, it may be better to replace this with a local sine function. At the top of easing.lua you can put
    local sin=math.sin
    etc and then just use "sin" instead of "math.sin". Might make a difference...
  • That works perfectly! And yes, making repeated methods local makes a lot of sense. This is awesome, and so fast.
  • Guys, this is worth repeating:
    local sin=math.sin
    This trick speeds up EVERYTHING used more than once, not just methods. I localised all "self." variables and methods used more than once when moving the squares each frame and it increased fps by 5-10 (!). Genius.

• Told ya! ;p

Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
  • you should also do it for things like...
    for loop=1,#monsters do
      local x=monsters[loop].x
      local y=monsters[loop].y
    so it becomes...
    for loop=1,#monsters do
      local monster=monsters[loop]
      local x=monster.x
      local y=monster.y

Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
  • What is the "correct" way be to remove vertices? I do this, which makes it 0x0 pixels, but there is probably a better way, that releases the memory?
    mesh.setVertex(1,0,0)
    mesh.setVertex(2,0,0)
    mesh.setVertex(3,0,0)
    mesh.setVertex(4,0,0)
  • How do textures work with a Mesh? Instead of squares is it possible to use different textures?

Also still looking for the answer to the question above. :)
  • totebototebo Member
    edited July 2016
    Back to the squares! With the 2016-06 release I've had the pleasure to revisit drawing squares, with the addition of Pixel and Particles. In my tests Pixel is marginally faster than Mesh (not much in it), but Particles is miles ahead of Mesh - on some devices.

I've used the same test as above, with 1,000 particles with a 64x64 Texture. For animation I've used the quite brilliant setParticleSpeed. The results:

iPad Mini Retina: 60 fps (in fact, I can add up to 3,000 particles without a slowdown)
    iPhone 5: 12fps
    iPod touch 5th generation: 4ps

On iPad Mini the squares look perfect and it runs fantastically. On iPhone5 and iPod touch, apart from the speed difference, the squares are jagged and appear to be leaning slightly. Any ideas why this could be?

I've attached the Gideros project to this post.

zip
    zip
    Squares.zip
  • antixantix Member
    Nice. When I finally get round to installing the new version I will try this on my Pixel C and report back ;)

• SinisterSoftSinisterSoft Maintainer
    It's early days for particles. I'm sure that @hgy29 will appreciate any feedback or ideas you may have.
    I personally think that adding a way to have a different texture x,y,w,h within the same 'master' texture would be a good idea.
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Yes, thanks for the feedback! Anthony discovered that particles rendering is not consistent across devices (GL_POINT primitive implementation is not that well defined), so to overcome this I'll have to change the way I am rendering them, possibly less efficiently...
  • antixantix Member
    @hgy29 I haven't installed the latest Gideros yet but how do a bunch of particles compare against a pool of sprites? I've found pooled sprites are terribly good.
    Particles should be much faster as they are all the same draw command as far as I know.

• hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    @antix, yes they should be faster because pooling is done at C level and as Anthony said, all particles are sent to the GPU in a single draw call

• antixantix Member
    Thanks. I also think it would be good to be able to use like texture regions inside a larger texture Atlas like @Sinistersoft said :)

• totebototebo Member
    edited July 2016
    Yeah on the iPad Mini straight up particles just FLY. Since I'm partial to square particles, however, I have to use a texture which seems to slow things down a lot.
    @antix I've been chatting with @hgy29 in a pm and it looks like that is part of the plan. :)

+1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • antixantix Member
    @SinisterSoft groovy. I'll not bother upgrading my own particle system any more then ;)