Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Hello Everyone — Gideros Forum

Hello Everyone

antixantix Member
edited February 2015 in Introduce yourself
Hi all, I'm Cliff from New Zealand. and I have decided to try and make a living by producing quality apps for Android. Mid May I am going to live in Rarotonga for four months. This will be challenging because the internet there is pretty bad. So I'm preparing and getting everything I need to be able to develop there. During this four month period I aim to have at least one app complete and possibly published. I have evaluated three development platforms so far, Corona, Marmalade Quick, and Gideros. on each platform I created the same app, a simple 2D right to left scrolling game template.

CORONA: I quite liked Corona (once I ditched the terrible editor for ZeroBrane). Got myself the "Million Tile Engine" and man was that cool! However having to compile across the internet was just stupid and that won't wash in Rarotonga. support was okay too. Without Million tile Engine I was able to scroll the 63 tiles at about 34FPS

MARMALADE QUICK: Amazingly easy to pickup. Their stage system is fantastic and their documentation can be downloaded as a PDF file on demand. I enjoyed a lot about quick. The performance of my app however in Quick was just totally bad. scrolling and animating 63 tiles at roughly 24FPS just didn't cut the mustard. The forum support was pretty much non existent as well. Having to wait at least 40 seconds between clicking "run" and actually have the app start in the simulator or on the device was driving me slightly insane also.

GIDEROS: I'm finding it a bit confusing (Quick was so easy) but I'm slowly getting it. My code can be compiled locally and I can run the code on my tablet/phone almost instantly, again unlike Quick. In Gideros I can scroll 273 tiles (the whole screen) at nearly 60FPS. Now this really excites me and since most of my apps will be 2D scrolling games, this is the platform for me. The one negative thing for me is the documentation. It would be fantastic to have a printed manual, the funny web system really isn't so hot ;)

Anyway, I'm really happy to have finally found Gideros and I'll be buying my Indie License soon. Hard to imagine such a great platform being created and maintained by so few people, fantastic job guys!

And if anybody is either in Rarotonga or visiting there between May 18th and September 24, just PM me, I'd be keen to meetup for cocktails :)

+1 -1 (+3 / -0 )Share on Facebook

Comments