Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Easy way to make multiple "locations". — Gideros Forum

Easy way to make multiple "locations".

ZizanymanZizanyman Member
edited January 2015 in Game & application design
I was wondering if there is an easy way to make multiple "locations" in a game. For instance, level select, main menu, levels, etc. Right now I am just using stage and box2d worlds. It would be great to have a way to get from one place to another. Thanks! :D

Comments

• jdbcjdbc Member
    edited January 2015
    I have defined a global getString function and depending on locale return the properly string from a lua table in the form
     en= {"menu" = "Main menu", ...}
    es = {"menu" = "Menu principal"}
    It works quite well for me.
  • I think what he meant was more of a usage of SceneManager, but maybe I'm mistaken :)
  • Yes, do a search for SceneManager.

I usually have a 'background' running with scenemanager running on top of it - looks better to me.
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
  • piepie Member
    @SinisterSoft can you explain better of "which" background are you speaking of, please? :)
    I am intrigued in everything that could be better than my approach ;)
    I have a long loading time between some scenes, due to their complexity, while everything is stuck until the next scene is loaded. I play music in the meanwhile to ease the sense of time, but who knows when it's enough? :)
  • SinisterSoftSinisterSoft Maintainer
    edited January 2015
    I start a on_frame event on the actual stage, on this I have the game running. I use the SceneManager to overlay on top of the game and also control key game aspect - such as new game, reset, etc That way the game can run in demo mode behind a title graphic.

In the old days they called it 'Attract Mode'.

Here is a video of it working - notice the game playing by itself in the background...

Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
    +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • piepie Member
    Thank you :)

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook