Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
My journey to Gideros — Gideros Forum

My journey to Gideros

1dot44mb1dot44mb Member
edited December 2012 in Introduce yourself
Hello everyone,

This is my first post in GM forum. I have a couple of things to say.

After deciding to make some mobile games, i have started investigating game engines. Firstly, i look at most of the javascript game engines and libraries (well probably 90% of them) but i have seen that most of them suffer performance issues, those who are cool enough to have WebGL drawing (graphics card support) enabled would have issues being ported to mobile platforms. Besides porting them to mobile platforms required money (most of the tools are commercial).

Then i thought the best way was to use a complete tool, i jumped to game engines and game makers, again i investigated most of them and still could not find a one which:
1- Is free
2- Has great performance with different mobile hardwares
3- Has no hassle to compile to different platforms
4- Has integrated IDE or Studio
5- Is a complete game engine rather than a graphics engine or physics engine
6- Has solutions to in app purchases, social leaderboard and achievement integrations
7- Lets you use networking

Is the list too long?
Not for a software that says "Build a mobile game now". The list is even short for a software claiming to be a game studio.

Ok, story continues, i decided that i will need serious software for serious business. I look at Chrome Engine, UDK and Unity. And i decided to go with Unity. I spent nearly two weeks in the classroom of internet, reading and watching tutorials. I got a grasp of Unity and started building simple games. I must say i am impressed with the achievements of Unity. But the problem was it costs too much to make iOS games with Unity, not to mention other platforms. So there i went on the road again, looking for a cool companion in my journey to mobile gaming.

I started looking again, this time more thoroughly, game engines, sdks, ides, libraries, over and over again, compared results, benchmarks. I was also looking for something with a low learning curve. I must say i went a long way. Finally i decided Moai was the way to go. I rolled up my sleeves and searched a couple of terms to get acquainted with Moai. The first result was:
http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2012/09/21/Battle-of-the-Lua-Game-Engines-Corona-vs-Gideros-vs-Love-vs-Moai.aspx

After reading the article and seeing 'Gideros' for the first time, i said "Oh God, one more engine to investigate!". Apparently not all of the game engines were found even if you want to. Gideros hid herself from me along my journey and now i was just about to marry with my beloved, there she was twinkling at me. So i decided to postpone my wedding for a while and reached my pocket to grab my 'Must Have List' for a game engine.

As i was reading and investigating, i was shocked all of the items had a 'Check' near them. Ok this was it. After seeing that Gideros was actually built by a Turkish team (same as my nationality). I said, this is too much, "Would you marry me? Right now?". She looked at me for a while and said "Sign Up First". OK.

Long story short (a bit late to say this, i suppose) i just LOVED the Gideros. Everything is perfect.

I am really, really grateful to the team for making this awesome SDE free. I will be pleased to buy a lot of licenses if my commercial game succeeds and brings me money.

And just because of the awesomeness of the team and the community. I will happily spare some of my work time for creating free tools for Gideros.

The community is great too, i am being surprised after seeing libraries and tools these people create and let others use them for free. You all deserve a cool villa at the Gideros Bay.

One more thing to say: As i was investigating game engines, i never came along Gideros. It should be more visible and people must comment about it in related articles and blogs.

Thanks all for your awesomeness.

tldr: Hello!
+1 -1 (+6 / -0 )Share on Facebook

Comments