Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Export games to linux. — Gideros Forum

Export games to linux.

kinrpgkinrpg Member
edited July 2017 in General questions
Greetings people and robots, I have a question about finished game export.
Is it possible (has anyone already done) export the games to linux natively or convert without attaching a wine along the application a game made in gideros for linux?
I do not understand a lot of programming out of the engine but if it is possible a simple targeting would already be of great help.

Thank you for your attention.

Comments

• totebototebo Member
    I don't know, but I'm interested to find out... Why are you asking? Linux is limited in terms of users as compared to HTML5, iOS, Android, Windows or Mac.
    My Gideros games: www.totebo.com
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Biggest trouble with linux is finding a way to export binaries that would be understood by all distros. I heard that things are moving in Linux world on this topic, but I didn't find a mature solution yet.
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Interesting :)
  • kinrpgkinrpg Member
    I don't know, but I'm interested to find out... Why are you asking? Linux is limited in terms of users as compared to HTML5, iOS, Android, Windows or Mac.
    I understand your point, but even this "limitation" of users represents a few million people. Making it an interesting "niche". I and half of my acquaintances use some kind of linux (mostly based on ubuntu or debian). Most game engines and makers export binaries in linux, even löve and corona that are moon-based. And as part of the exported files are based on qt and the proper gideros can be copilado in linux I wonder about this possibility of exporting native games.
    I currently use gideros with wine on Ubuntu 16.04.

It would be another platform achieved by the engine :)

+1 -1 (+3 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • kinrpgkinrpg Member
    edited July 2017
    Biggest trouble with linux is finding a way to export binaries that would be understood by all distros. I heard that things are moving in Linux world on this topic, but I didn't find a mature solution yet.
    There is already appimage, but no problem with binaries understood by all. Basically you have Linux binary is a simple executable. What differs from one taste to another is how the installation is done and if your application uses depts (equivalent in windows when you need codecs, .net frameworks etc) as it searches.

Then you create for derived derivatives a .deb installer .deb, or .rpm for derivatives of redhat linux.

Or you can even create an appimage with everything inside, or simply zip the folder of your game and distribute it.

In the case of Gideros, I'm not sure but, it is the player that interprets the codes in the moon to run the games as it happens with the old basics right?
  • totebototebo Member
    Thanks for the explanation @kinrpg. I didn't think there were that many Linux users out there, aside from server users. I'm all for multiplatform! :)
    My Gideros games: www.totebo.com
  • jdbcjdbc Member
    edited August 2017
    I have used wine and Gideros on Ubuntu desktop to build most of my games. There a lot of Linux users.

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • I have used wine and Gideros on Ubuntu desktop to build most of my games. There a lot of Linux users.
    Me too
  • john26john26 Maintainer
    Well as mentioned on the Gideros Download page it is possible to build a Linux version of Gideros from source, including Studio, Desktop player etc

https://www.dropbox.com/s/22arh2pxgif3d60/buildGiderosLinux.txt?dl=0

The Gideros Desktop player is basically what is used for Desktop export (QT version) on Windows and Mac so with some fiddling you should be able to use this to run your game on Linux as a standalone program. To distribute to other people you'd probably need to use a package format like RPM to create a bundle with the executable and all your assets.

But no, we do not officially have an Linux export option. When you open the export box in Studio you do not see Linux. So you will have to proceed as mentioned above and perhaps recompile the desktop player so it only loads one particular game.

Let me know how you get on building Linux using the above instructions. That's the first step! What you want should be possible with a very small amount of reprogramming.

• I think that an export to the same distro family as SteamOS would be the most useful.
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Also a good starting point for a native Linux port would be either HTML ( emscripten assumes an Linux like app) or raspberry pi native (not QT)
  • Yes the Raspberry Pi native version would be a good staring point, it also needs finishing off though - two birds, one stone? ( @John26 ?)
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
  • john26john26 Maintainer
    If you export a Linux game using the QT player it is still a native Linux product. Indeed most people writing programs for Linux use tools like QT, partly because Xlib (the equivalent of Win32 API) does not provide widgets. So this would be a good place to start and can be done with little or no additional programming by the OP himself if he is so inclined.

• SinisterSoftSinisterSoft Maintainer
    edited August 2017
    You can't sell a game with QT though, there needs to be a native player.

• Thank you all for the answers. I am not a programmer (I have no idea how these apps work with S & O libraries and basic libraries), but your text helped me understand more about how the program works. In the future I might be able to contribute to this.