Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Use of LevelHelper, PhysicsEditor &Co? — Gideros Forum

Use of LevelHelper, PhysicsEditor &Co?

uneulvuneulv Member
edited February 2012 in General questions
Hello, I very recently got started with app dev, just incorporated above programs into workflow and I am wondering if Gideros is compatible with these. I noticed that Gideros can make sprite sheets (there are good programs for this out there already so not sure if that is a needed feature) but how about physics shapes?

Comments

• gorkemgorkem Maintainer
    By this week, physics editor will be able to give output for Gideros Studio. Also Karnakgames is actively working on porting the Level Helper to Gideros Studio.

The first one will be on the shelves real soon, and Level Helper will be ready in 1 months time I believe.

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Just to clarify, I believe Karnakgames is working on porting his tool (SVG level builder) to Gideros. LevelHelper is a level editor that supports output to Cocos2D, Corona, and other platforms.

My guess is, it can't hurt to ask if the developer would be interested in porting it to Gideros. While it is an additional platform for him to support, the functionality of Gideros should be roughly on par with Corona, they're both Lua based and we've already seen compatibility libraries pop up around here that could help the initial efforts.
  • Agree with Ghando, not 100% sure developer is aware of Gideros yet... LevelHelper is a good tool.
    I'm aware of developers who decided to port their app/utility to Gideros Studio after seeing the the requests from casual users. So if you want to get the ball rolling, just spend a few minutes and ask them.
  • DikkesnoekDikkesnoek Member
    edited March 2012
    Also an export feature to Gideros from PhysicsEditor is essential. I need to build complex structures with Physics and this is the best tool at the moment.
  • atilimatilim Maintainer
    Hi @Dikkesnoek,

PhysicsEditor currently supports Gideros starting from 1.0.9b1. You can download the Mac version here: http://www.physicseditor.de/download/ (it seems windows version is not released yet)
    @Dikkesnoek you also might be interested in Gideros SVG Level Builder here:

http://karnakgames.com/wp/gideros-svg-level-builder/

• I've only used PhysicsEditor marginally in the past (i.e. pre-Gideros support), I was exporting the paths in another format and processing them manually.
    Now I'm trying to get back to it for something more complex, that would actually use the physics part: however, it seems to me that one limitation is that it doesn't support texture packs, that I wouldn't use for animation but just to keep bunches of similar items together, forcing to have graphics as single items. Am I correct, or maybe I'm missing something?
  • just to point that out: SVG level Builder is by no means a replacement for physics editor as it AFAIK not supports cutom shapes. There is some trick to make physics editor work with it for corona, don´t know about gideros.
  • uneulvuneulv Member
    edited March 2012
    regarding physics editor and texture packs, there can be several shapes in 1 image, but things are easier (e.g. loading into corona without further adjustments) if one has seperate images. But it handles many many images inside 1 file (1 physicseditor file) very well and if image gets changed the shape can be updated.
  • @uneulv Sorry, I should have written it down better: I know that a single PE file can contain references of many shapes.
    My question was that, if the images are in a texture pack, it seems to me that there are two issues:
    - Shapes must be traced manually, as only the first one is recognized and traced in an image file
    - There must be a manual adjustment in the code, as the shapes will be offset by their position in the spritesheet.

Once again, I may be wrong though!
  • uneulvuneulv Member
    edited March 2012
    there was some error with the posting, not sure how to delete redundant posts
  • uneulvuneulv Member
    edited March 2012
  • *pmanna concerning the tracing: just click on the magic wand and then in the window on the next shape to have traced.
  • DikkesnoekDikkesnoek Member
    edited April 2012
    Hi,
    Is there any example how to use the PhysicsEditor output data. I've searched around also in the examples but I could only find simple shaped examples. I have a complex bottom floor where I need to use physics.
    Regards,
    M.J.