Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Android and Gideros are looking good! — Gideros Forum

Android and Gideros are looking good!

MillerszoneMillerszone Member
edited October 2011 in General questions
I've been testing Android today with very good results. All scaling is working and
the Multi-touch doesn't have the unpredictable lag like iOS, but testing "Touch Explorer",
I did notice the more touches, there was more lag, but very little.(Print statements commented)
I didn't test orientation.

I am having one problem, as you can see below. When I touch the Settings button
a settings menu will popup, but on Android a white screen pops up.
From the splash to the menu it's o.k, but after I open other window's they're white.
I'm using the same code as I tested on iOS, which works o.k.

Testing on a Galaxy Tab 7 (Gingerbread 2.3.4)

GOOD:

BAD:

Comments

• atilimatilim Maintainer
    Hi,

Currently we're implementing a multithreaded game loop and up to now it completely eliminates the touch lags. With the next version, there will be a lag-free touch implementation.

For the android, I think the size of the texture is bigger than the Galaxy Tab can handle. Can you tell me the size of the texture that you use with the popup and can you downscale it and try again?

Thank you
  • MillerszoneMillerszone Member
    edited October 2011
    Atilim, the pop up window that is shown in white is only 300x300 and about 6k. The main
    Menu screen is 480x320.
    I'll do more testing today.

Great to hear you eliminated the touch lags.
    I also noticed noticed that when using multitouch that when I move the right paddle(moves
    smooth), and then I touch anywhere on the screen with another finger that sometimes it
    will stop the right paddle on iOS, but not on Android. So the multithreaded game loop
    Should fix.
    Thanks. Also I'll do some more tests on Galaxy Tab.

Android version already does the drawing and touch handling on different threads. I think threaded game loop on iOS also will fix the lag problem.
  • The only way I could get rid of the white screens is by calling an external
    module using the Timer. Before I was just calling the module name(settings()).
    Also the screens that are white are from external modules.
    If you still have the code I sent you last week, you will see the problem.

settings() is calling an external module.
    settingsTimer = Timer.new(1, 1)
    settingsTimer:addEventListener(Event.TIMER, function() settings() end)
    settingsTimer:start()
    this is a good tip. i'll investigate more.
    edited October 2011
    We've found the bug. It's not specific to galaxy tab and is directly related to android port. When you load textures on touch/mouse events, they aren't loaded correctly. You can load all your textures at the beginning (or on a timer event as your solution)

This bug will be fixed with the next version.

thank you for reporting
  • MillerszoneMillerszone Member
    edited October 2011
    Quote: "When you load textures on touch/mouse events"
    I don't use touch/mouse events from splash screen to the menu screen, thats why
    that displays correctly. I'm using the timer event, I'll change when bug fixed.
    Thanks

I'm still testing Android, everything is going o.k so far.
  • gorkemgorkem Maintainer
    Mike - is it possible for you to share a (part of) video of your game play (on Android) when you feel it's ready? Very interested and excited with your progress so far.
  • Sure can. I have to tweak multi-touch a little more and do a few other things.
    As soon as I finish, I'll upload video to YouTube and then post the link here.