Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Distribution of 3rd Party Plugins — Gideros Forum

Distribution of 3rd Party Plugins

nathanh0nathanh0 Member
edited October 2011 in General questions
Gideros,

To better answer other people's questions, would it be possible to develop Gideros plugins and distribute them with a fee or a donation?

For example, if someone develops some insane 3rd Party Plugin, such as a full solution for making it easy to do Push Notifications, could they sell the plugin? I've seen this done on other platforms.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have the plugin for free, but if someone feels the need to charge $ for it, can they legally do that ? Or are plugins made to be free within the Gideros platform?

Thanks!

Nathan

Comments

• gorkemgorkem Maintainer
    Yes, that will be more than possible - you'll be able to do either or any of the following with your plugin:

1. Open source it and distribute for free
    2. Develop a proprietary solution and let others use it (free or paid)
    3. (put your own service or business plan here)

So charging $ or $$ or $$$ for what you develop is perfectly legal - its license and distribution rules will be up to the developer.

HTH,

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • MillerszoneMillerszone Member
    edited October 2011
    That's why I said Plugins will be huge, something the other competitor doesn't
    have and probably won't since you have to build your project on their servers. [-X

Just think, a 3D plugin like Ogre3D.
    http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/

The possibilities are endless!

• gorkemgorkem Maintainer
    The plugin internals are still to be defined, but your thoughts are important to us.

There are some restrictions as I noted before (e.g you cannot directly touch the OpenGL layer, but add another logical layer which enables you do pretty much everything).

A plugin should be working at least one platform, so there'll probably be a configuration file of the plugin that tells Gideros Studio which platform(s) it supports, also a predefined directory structure would help so when the plugin is loaded, Gideros Studio knows which files are where. It also needs name, description, author, URI, version number, dependencies and more to have a proper metadata.

Then Gideros Studio will take care of compilation (except Xcode - Obj-C code needs to be compiled within Xcode) and putting the libraries inside the package. Developer might be interested in only one platform, or both.

Really a tough work considering the different architectures and programming languages, but this is currently our #1 priority right after 2011.9 is out.

• That's why I said Plugins will be huge, something the other competitor doesn't
    have and probably won't since you have to build your project on their servers. [-X

Ogre3D -- Is it confirmed that integrating such a thing would be possible with 3rd party plugins, given the rules that Gideros set in place? this would be really cool... Gideros Restrictions:: :: There are some restrictions as I noted before (e.g you cannot directly touch the OpenGL layer, but add another logical layer which enables you do pretty much everything).
  • That's why I said Plugins will be huge, something the other competitor doesn't

Actually, they -may- have some sort of "verified" plugin repository in future.. nevermind.. go go go gideros :)