Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
New to GiderOS - Page 3 — Gideros Forum

New to GiderOS

13»

Comments

• Btw i will be happy to see some numbers about the tests that used during the process other then the words so that also we have some idea to compare related parts.

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • @MobiDevMark, would you like to share the code snips and the methodology you used to benchmark the speeds? It would help put a context to the article I had earlier about the speeds. (In fact two articles). Plus it would help to understand which versions of the different frameworks you used.
    twitter: @ozapps | http://www.oz-apps.com | http://howto.oz-apps.com | http://reviewme.oz-apps.com
    Author of Learn Lua for iOS Game Development from Apress ( http://www.apress.com/9781430246626 )
    Cool Vizify Profile at https://www.vizify.com/oz-apps
  • I agree with @OZApps if you share your testing code, it would allow us to know where to improve Gideros' performance

As for similar ip address... I love conspiracy :p

have fun with our games~
    http://www.nightspade.com
    +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • denizdeniz Maintainer
    edited January 2013
    I wonder if this promotion tactic have ever worked.

The IPs are "exactly" the same Mohamed. It means it is either "you or someone sitting next to you" as Atılım has said. It is pretty clear.

I think this is really unprofessional and unethical.

• I was the impression that a pro-subscription to Corona (for offline builds, native plugin's etc) was in excess of $3000 not $999, unless their pricing model changed and I missed it.

At the end of the day - I think it all comes down to personal preference. I've used Corona to make apps and I've used Gideros to make apps. For me - the whole process from start to finish was easier with Gideros, the code seemed cleaner and more structured. Yes the Corona api list is a little more mature which is to be expected as it's been around longer, however last time I looked vector support was far far behind Gideros (lines / circles etc were rendered as textures and drawn as sprites).

I think Gideros is PERFECT for a small to medium sized apps and really hits the spot with indies and small teams. If your any bigger than this then an evaluation of other technologies might be in order but then again other corperate discisions and corperate polictics might have to be taken into consideration.

As I said it's down to personal preference, and I know which system I prefer :)
    WhiteTree Games - Home, home on the web, where the bits and bytes they do play!
    #MakeABetterGame! "Never give up, Never NEVER give up!" - Winston Churchill
  • @techdojo: Totally agree :)

"I think Gideros is PERFECT for a small to medium sized apps and really hits the spot with indies and small teams."
  • john26john26 Maintainer
    edited January 2013
    @Deniz, That would he explain why he was so touchy about any criticism of Corona, describing my comments as "hostile to Corona" and "childish", despite the fact that I made comments which were simple facts and undeniable. Someone who genuinely wanted to solicit opinions would not become angry when a fair minded opinion is given! He certainly seemed to have an axe to grind from the start...
  • GameMinionGameMinion Member
    edited January 2013
    I sent Atilim a message regarding this, but I guess there is no point.
    Mark was pointed to Gideros by me. He is a long time friend who is relocating to the US from Jordan with a new studio and was looking for Lua based mobile SDKs.

So everyone should relax, there is no grand conspiracy. My fault for pointing others to look at Gideros.

@deniz, I wasn't trying to hide my IP, if I wanted to, its not too hard. Sorry for ruining the excitement, nothing here to see. So before you start making accusations, please get your facts right. Otherwise you will just end up not looking good for no reason.
  • @GameMinion if that was the case, then sorry for making you uncomfortable :)

Could you ask Mark to share his test project? I am more interested on benchmarking

have fun with our games~
    http://www.nightspade.com
  • denizdeniz Maintainer
    So he is sitting next to you or using your computer.
    This is what we have been saying if you are reading carefully. Since he is your friend, he of course favors you and your company. Understandable but not cool.

• @deniz I think he is his own person and can make his own decision. I don't think that its cool that all of a sudden you guys all go up in arms because he doesn't select your product.
    I know very little about Gideros and thats why I pointed him to the forum and even went as far as giving him Atilim's email.
    I really don't have to do any of this, I only did it because I thought Gideros was worth looking at. But I guess it wasn't welcomed.

So anyways, wish everyone good luck. And I hope you guys try Corona Cloud in the future, if there is enough interest, will be more than happy to add specific support for Gideros.
  • MellsMells Guru
    edited January 2013
    Apart from this IP issue, I didn't see anything biased in what @MobiDevMark said.
    It's either a "conspiracy" :
    a) "hey mark write a fake comparison that favors Corona on my laptop!")

or the opposite :
    b) "hey mark I work with Corona but it might not be the best tool for your needs so you should take a look at other SDKs, make your own tests and see which one fits the best"

That would be great if we could get the test files so we can see for ourselves (performances). That would be constructive.
    Other things (a more visible road map, dedicated resources allocated to support the community) are just facts that were important in Mark's checklist, which might not be the case for other devs.

@GameMinion
    I don't think that its cool that all of a sudden you guys all go up in arms because he doesn't select your product.
    I think this is the result of a big misunderstanding. Maybe that could have been avoided by being more transparent upfront about your connection with Mark but anyway now it's done.
    I really don't have to do any of this, I only did it because I thought Gideros was worth looking at. But I guess it wasn't welcomed.
    Misunderstanding. You are welcome here, and we wish you good luck too.

That's not such a big deal, is it?
    What I am interested in are @MobiDevMark 's test files :)

twitter@TheWindApps Artful applications : The Wind Forest. #art #japan #apps
  • @Mells apart from the test files, which he mentioned he can not not share. I will be happy just with the results of the comparasion of the products :D
  • @Mells, I actually didn't want to be in the picture for the very reason so his conclusion was not biased. Even with his Corona evaluation he worked directly with the Corona team and not me.
    On the IP issue, we were together but as anyone who's been to the UAE will tell you that the telco NATs everything and in most cases public IPs are limited, so you will most likely than not have the same IP.

FYI I've shared this with the Gideros team, so I made them ware of this before Deniz's last comment.

I understand the misunderstanding, but I took it a little personal considering the Gideros guys know me and know that I've tried to help them out. Yet they come out accusing me of unethical and unprofessional things.

There is nothing for me or Corona to gain from this, I doubt anyone will choose one SDK over another based on one person's experience.

I consider this issue closed, and the Gideros team as well as the community can directly contact Mark.

Best of luck to you all.
  • edited January 2013
    This is really a bad drama by a bad actor!!

Truth be told, we are not 10 years old baby boys, we all know what the truth is :) So no need to justify yourself. To me, it's clumsy too.

• gorkemgorkem Maintainer
    @gameminion

FYI I've shared this with the Gideros team, so I made them ware of this before Deniz's last comment.
    You are simply trying to disinform people. What you send us is what you wrote on this list. Nothing more, nothing else. You didn't warn us beforehand.

I consider this issue closed, and the Gideros team as well as the community can directly contact Mark.
    There's no Mark. Please tell Walter know that we need an explanation from him. It's nothing about you anymore. Otherwise I'll write a good, long blog post about it, with many points coming from Coronalabs' history and logs of our Apache server including your machine IDs.

I mean it. Take it seriosly.

• hgvyas123hgvyas123 Guru
    edited January 2013
    Just to get things straight in my head, is @MobiDevMark actually a member of Coronalabs team?
    we can't find any info about the username MobiDevMark. when i search on google with "MobiDevMark" as a keyword all results points to Gideros forums and not a single result from corona forum.

he is trying to jump in mobile development and that's why currently comparing corona and gideros although he has already purchased the licence of corona (no one can use daily build untill he has licence) and already have enough knowledge to compare the benchmarks. where are this benchmarks can we saw this?

after atilim's post about same ip address he has not given single reply over here and most of his post are trying to say that corona is good.

all this things at least put him in solid doubt able case

:)

• edited January 2013
    @Scouser: to get things straight in your head. @MobiDevMark just a fake nick of @GameMinion, who just draw a big fake story about his studio with big fake money - which is going to buy a good SDK. After take us into the conversation, at the end, he choose Corona SDK and try to take Gideros down.

I can confirm this since both of these 2 nicks use the term GiderOS, both use the same IP and when we ask for his test case on which Corona perform faster, the answer is just silence and ignorance.

Now you wanna know why? Go to gameminion.com, did you see a big banner saying Corona + GameMinion :)

• Oh cmon, even if this really was the case and and account was fake, or if Corona really with a fraction beat Gideros in some specific test case, it won't change anything, not the way I feel about Gideros, not many of developer's here. So why such a hassle?

• Seriously folks - stop looking for "Carlos under the bed" and get back to coding, if you really want to show your support for Gideros release more quality games!
  • evsevs Member
    edited January 2013
    @all

Gideros is my weapon of choice, forget the conspiracy theories, enjoy the SDK, 3rd party tools, support team and community!

I see no reason to go elsewhere

Just my tuppenceworth

cheers

evs

• gorkemgorkem Maintainer
    I'm not surprised, as this is a company culture:

Ansca's Corona SDK is promoted by idiots

This has happened in GameSalad forums. Two "so called" forum members, same IP, promoting Corona in GS forums and caught by system admins.

Thanks to everyone who remained calm here. This sprit is what makes this forum friendly, honest and technically more advanced.
    +1 -1 (+4 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Maybe you should take it as a compliment that Corona views Gideros as a competitor / threat?

But - seriously 80+ posts on this thread and nothing of any value added to developers pool of knowledge, waste of bandwidth if you ask me, I vote for this whole thread to be deleted to make room for some proper questions / intelligent answers.
    +1 -1 (+3 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • evsevs Member
    Yes maybe this thread should be locked down, not deleted, as that would possibly defeat the object? I agree with @techdojo though let's keep on helping each other, I don't think there's a more open forum out there

cheers

evs

• atilimatilim Maintainer
    Hi @all,

I'm closing this thread. If somebody wants to write about it, he/she can create a new discussion or ask me to reopen this thread.

This discussion has been closed.