Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Objective C in Gideros Studio — Gideros Forum

Objective C in Gideros Studio

edited July 2012 in General questions
Hi All,
I am an iOS Developer and totally new to Gideros Studio. I just went through its documentation and got to know that we use Lua programming (scripting) language to create games. Once the game is developed we can export the project in XCode.
I just want to know that can we use Objective C language and its frameworks in Gideros Studio so that i utilise my Objective C experience without using Lua Language.
All answers will be appreciated.
Thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• Without being harsh - if your comfortable using Obj-C then there's little if any point in using Gideros.

Gideros is aimed at people who can (or are willing to learn to) program in Lua and use that to write apps - the Gideros dev team recognise that they can't provide all the functionality that everyone requires so they allow people to write native extensions (or plugin's) to the engine.

These plugin's can be written in the language of your choice but allow you to access native device features (or just the raw power of the device if required for "heavy lifting") - currently it's not possible to integrate any graphics directly within the Gideros display hierarchy (although it is possible to render extra items on top of the Gideros display).

Hope this answers your question.
    WhiteTree Games - Home, home on the web, where the bits and bytes they do play!
    #MakeABetterGame! "Never give up, Never NEVER give up!" - Winston Churchill
  • @techdojo -- So what you are saying is i have to learn Lua programming first to create games in Gideros and Gideros doesn't support Objective C. Am i correct ?
  • techdojotechdojo Guru
    edited July 2012
    Pretty much yes.

Gideros is basically a general purpose "retained mode" OpenGL engine that exposes it's functionality through the lua scripting language.

If you want to write games in Objective-C then your best choice is either Cocos2D or Sparrow.
  • Or Kobold2D which provides more utilities on top of Cocos2D.

But you may like Gideros and Lua after trying, they're pretty easy and quick to learn.
    You can still harness your Objective-C skill & knowledge for writing Gideros plugins :)
  • I think that Gideros is also good for prototyping - I have worked out some concepts and layout designs in Gideros, that I will be transferring to Objective C.
  • Seconded - the ability to quickly prototype ideas is one of Lua's strengths - especially when combined with a competent display engine (like Gideros's)
  • @techdojo Third-ed? Can't agree more, I loved Qbasic for the same reason back in the day, and Gideros is quickly becoming my favorite for prototyping games--even if I am not writing them for the cellphones.
    ThumbHurt Games / FB: ThumbHurt Games / FB: Eli/Teranth | Skype: teranth37
  • For touch (mouse) based games sure - not sure what (if any) keyboard support Gideros has - although I suspect that'll come with "official" desktop build support.

To be honest - I just love prototyping game ideas most of which will probably never see the light of day, a lot of which I used to use GameMaker for, Gideros is certainly starting to take over in this area.

I believe we (as a community) actually need a good set of tools (like the ones built in to GameMaker) to aid and speed up devlopment.

@GregBUG's animator tool is I think a great start, as is Tiled (for maps) however what would be really great would be if the IDE had plugin support so that people could write the path layout, room layout, timeline editors all of which would be able to generate the appropriate lua code

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • So people are using Gideros a lot for prototyping only? What are you developing your games in then?
  • @zakkwylde: all my games so far are made with Gideros only. You can check the portfolio in my signature below :)