Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Debugging Info for Gideros Player (Desktop Simulator) — Gideros Forum

Debugging Info for Gideros Player (Desktop Simulator)

TeranthTeranth Member
edited June 2012 in Suggestions & requests
I was wondering if it would be possible to add some sort of status window option for the player, something as simple as current Memory Usage/FPS/Number of Sprites Active in Memory/etc in a little window next to the Gideros Player?

I would like to be able to track things like it my app has a memory leak in the Lua code, and such before I send it to the Xcode/Eclipse stage. Nothing too fancy just a little internal readout of sorts would be handy I think.

ThumbHurt Games / FB: ThumbHurt Games / FB: Eli/Teranth | Skype: teranth37
+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook

Comments

• Adding an FPS counter yourself is easy (and there are a few examples already on the forum), however I think the idea of a stat's window for the desktop player that gives you all the info about the current VM is a fantastic idea +1 from me!
    WhiteTree Games - Home, home on the web, where the bits and bytes they do play!
    #MakeABetterGame! "Never give up, Never NEVER give up!" - Winston Churchill
  • evsevs Member
    @Teranth

On a mac if you run the player from the terminal with

"/Applications/Gideros Studio/Gideros Player.app/Contents/MacOS/Gideros Player"

or whatever, you'll get some info in the terminal window from the player like this...

cheers

evs
    terminal.png
    1000 x 690 - 70K
  • In which case I vote for the above contents to be sent to a log window on both Mac and PC instead :)

However I still think it's a good idea to maybe add a status bar to the player that contains the current values so they can be watched in realtime
  • evsevs Member
    @techdojo yes, or a fully fledged debugger like in the ZeroBrane Studio IDE [-O<

Here's a video of it in 'action' - if the narrator doesn't lull you off to sleep ~O)

http://notebook.kulchenko.com/zerobrane/love2d-debugging

cheers

evs

• Now - the ability to single step through code and put watches on tables, variables etc.
    THAT I would pay for!
  • @evs, indeed I would LOVE(2d) to have that debugger available :) heh and yes since I do use a mac I could do the terminal log--which I didn't even know about! Thanks I will certainly be making use of it shortly in looking for a memory leak issue I am having in ClickFish (I will be looking into ZeroBrane Studio, as I have used Love2D but never checked it out, seems like the debugger would be worth using it just for it :)) but really I would be happy with a few useful stats display about my currently running app.

@techdojo, Yes I think Gideros Studio could benefit from the player even just redirecting that log information into some kind of stats window, just some sort of look under the hood while it's executing the code would be helpful I think :)

Thanks for the input, I will check into using the logs and see if that helps me find the issue-can't hurt heh.
    ThumbHurt Games / FB: ThumbHurt Games / FB: Eli/Teranth | Skype: teranth37
  • paulclingerpaulclinger Member
    edited October 2012