Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Is it legal to use 8bit chiptune remixes in mobile game? — Gideros Forum

Is it legal to use 8bit chiptune remixes in mobile game?

Hi guys!
Does somebody know if it's legal to use 8bit covers of popular songs? (made by myself or used from permission of author of particular remix)
Like this for example:
I wanna put some "easter eggs" in apps and recognizable chiptune could be extremely handy.
Thx!
> Newcomers roadmap: from where to start learning Gideros
"What one programmer can do in one month, two programmers can do in two months." - Fred Brooks
“The more you do coding stuff, the better you get at it.” - Aristotle (322 BC)

Comments

• Without paying licenses to the copyright owners I'd say no, unless it's a very old tune.

Every country has its own rules, but I think that in the Axel F case US rules would apply
    https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/faqs/copyright-basics/#how_long_does_a_copyright_last

You may also try to fall in the "fair use" if you use those in hidden and "harmless" eastereggs, but without a written consent from the legal owner of the copyright I'm afraid that you are always "risking" legal issues.

However, "cheating" with music is usually possible if you have the right set of skills: you could trigger the same character or situation in the users mind without actually using the exact tune but copying the tune style, and this would leave you on the safe (legal) side.

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • And if you made zero dollars from any game that had such music in it.. I doubt you would be chased. If you made a million dollars though I would be prepared to be pursued to the ends of the earth ;)

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook