Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Gideros 2016.8 released! (WITHDRAWN: 2016.8.1 in testing) - Page 3 — Gideros Forum

Gideros 2016.8 released! (WITHDRAWN: 2016.8.1 in testing)

13»

Comments

• @hotbuttered I totally agree with you. Gideros needs more maintainers and the would-be maintainers need to gain knowledge and experience.

I'm happy to maintain some plugins on The Android side. Let's start a new thread theat provides step by step instructions (plugin guide for Dummys!!)
    +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • @simwhi, good luck man, mayne you'll get a better response than I have :D

I've had a wee look at @ar2sawseen was talking about and it seems to me that it is really not as simple as changing a few if then statements. From what I can decipher the reward advert seems to be structured a little differently than a normal advert and almost seems to be it's own class or something. I don't know because I'm not a java person but it just doesn't look as easy as it's been stated to be.
  • @simwhi, since a few versions ago my method with Gideros releases on windows is to firstly rename c:\Gideros to c:\@Gideros. Then install and test the new release. If it doesn't work or has serious issues (like this release unfortunately did) just delete c:\Gideros and rename c:\@Gideros as c:\Gideros and you're all back to a stable release.
  • SinisterSoftSinisterSoft Maintainer
    edited August 2016
    I'm sorry some of you had problems with the latest release, we try test things out at much as possible - nothing seemed to break for me and I try to use every Gideros feature.

@N1cke added extra functionality to Lua to make it much better than standard - the mod he made was tried and tested for several years by other people - we had no errors in testing - imho he wasn't flying too close to the Sun. ;)

Unfortunately it looks like some other earlier mods to Lua (in order to make it faster and more suitable for Gideros - like file redirection and better memory allocation) may have interfered with one of the changes he made. He made fixes as soon as possible.

In future we will continue to evolve Lua - but make the replacement Lua files available as a patch download - you unzip it over a copy of the Gideros folder - like the LuaJIT patch I made for Windows. If people want to try these new versions they are then welcome to and eventually they may replace the built-in version.

Is that ok for everyone? Let me know if anyone has any thoughts or ideas...

btw, the bitwise operators that he made are amazing - they make things much easier and are 8x faster than using the bit library - so some of the additions are not too bad. :)
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
    +1 -1 (+5 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • piepie Member
    Gideros 2016.08 (when working ;) ) on my laptop is the fastest release I tried. I think that maybe wasn't a bad idea to try improving lua.. of course there are troubles sometimes, but even big companies products have those.. bottom line is that you're doing an amazing work! :)

Thank you
    +1 -1 (+6 / -1 )Share on Facebook
  • @pie I second that!!

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • You will REALLY like what @hgy29 has fixed then for the 2016.8.1 update. I can't wait for it to be released, I'm sure @john26 is busy building the release as I type this as it's a fix that a few people have been waiting for since Gideros began!
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    I spent my Saturday afternoon on this and my wife wasn't very happy I did... So hopefully it wasn't in vain ;)
    +1 -1 (+3 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • SinisterSoftSinisterSoft Maintainer
    edited August 2016
    I was getting told off just driving home (from swimming) too fast to test it and making everyone wait for tea for 3 hours whilst I tried out the changes as you made them. Great result though. :)

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Sometimes the outcome of hard work is not reflecting the job done, or even while trying to correct something some other thing can be broken. But it is not changing the fact that someone with a good intention spent his/her free time to improve gideros and contributed to the community.
    To everyone who contributed to this release i myself, one more time grateful and can not wait to see the next one.
    Thanks again to all maintainers.
    +1 -1 (+10 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • john26john26 Maintainer
    Thanks very much for your support and patience everyone. We will certainly learn lessons from this mistake. We need to test more thoroughly especially after making changes to very sensitive areas like the Lua virtual machine.

We've now built Gideros 2016.8.1 and it is in testing so hopefully we can release it very soon.
    +1 -1 (+9 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Awesome & can't wait! :)