Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
OpenGL Deprecated on iOS / OSX — Gideros Forum

OpenGL Deprecated on iOS / OSX

appymediaappymedia Member
edited September 2018 in Roadmap
Hi Guys,

I'm coming back and looking at Gideros after a loonnnggg time and am really impressed with how its transitioned into an opensource project, fantastic work.

I do have a little concern regarding the long term usage of Gideros on iOS / OSX since Apple announced its deprecation of OpenGL.

Obviously deprecated doesn't mean removed but they will do that at some point to push people towards their Metal API, and knowing Apple that might not be too long away.

Are there any plans on how to manage this in the future with Gideros yet?

Cheers all!
Tagged:

Comments

• hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Gideros has already splitted its graphics backend from the main API, and supports both openGL and DX11 already. Making a Metal backend should be possible, but I have no idea if this is a big task or not. Hopefully Metal is not too different from OpenGL pipeline-wise
  • appymediaappymedia Member
    edited September 2018
    I've got no idea myself :smile: , there are also options like MoltenVK for a Vulcan style approach.

I wish Apple would be a little clearer about exactly if they are intending on removing OpenGL support anytime soon although I can't imagine they will rethinking it even with it being Apple.

Surely there's a good percentage of OpenGL app's on their store/s that would just fail to work?
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Yes, and furthermore Metal is only supported since iPhone5s, devs will want to retain compatibility to most of devices, and go to metal only if it is widely supported.
  • Adoption is pretty good with new devices within the Apple world.

Stats I'm finding online suggest its a very very small percentage of devices in the wild now that don't have Metal capabilities.

I just worry about Apple as they tend to force people into their mould even if that means breaking some eggs along the way.

Removal of CD drives, older style USB ports, headphone sockets etc :wink: