Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Applications with gideros — Gideros Forum

Applications with gideros

b83devb83dev Member
edited February 2012 in Game & application design
I am thinking of doing a few small apps (not games) with gideros and wondering if the app store/android market allows applications with out using native UI controls. I would create all the controls myself. Would doing this have an extra drain on battery since the app would be using opengl?

Comments

• gorkemgorkem Maintainer
    Android uses OpenGL to draw UI widgets for fast rendering too, not sure what the rendering technology behind iOS however.
  • Yes, the app store allows such things. And I am positive that it would not drain the battery more than with a native UI.
  • iOS either uses the same thing as Mac OS X or a subset of it (I've compared the file system of iOS and Mac OS X and they are the same underlying OS just with all of the desktop layer missing from iOS). And Mac OS X uses Quartz Compositor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartz_Compositor

If you have a Mac capable of it (I think all new Macs for the last 5 years are capable of it), the entire thing switches to OpenGL, what Apple calls Quartz Extreme. For example, if you've used Mac OS X fast user switching where the whole screen rotates like a cube, that is just a 3d cube with the "desktops" of each user being displayed as textures on different sides of the cube, and it's OpenGL. On Macs without Quartz Extreme, the screen cuts from one user to the next (no OpenGL). Here's what Quartz Extreme fast user switching looks like.