Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Leaderboard in Gideros: What are my options? — Gideros Forum

Leaderboard in Gideros: What are my options?

totebototebo Member
edited June 2014 in General questions
I'm planning to make an iOS game where a custom (100% custom graphics) leaderboard will be the main feature.

Initially I was looking to use Game Center, but it turns out the player needs to be logged in to view the leaderboard data. Not ideal, because I want to show the scores immediately regardless of authentication status.

Now, after a few hours research I'm here:

1. Game Center (with forced login) still seems best
2. GameMinion seems perfect, but it seems it was acquired by Corona, merged with their CoronaCloud which subsequently shut down. The GameMinion website is down, which is not a great sign.
3. HeyZap doesn't appear to allow completely customized leaderboards

Is there an option out there I'm missing?

Niclas
My Gideros games: www.totebo.com

Comments

• ar2rsawseenar2rsawseen Maintainer
    Accepted Answer
    For ios GameCenter is the best way to go
    1) even if you use any third party library, you should still use GameCenter also, or else there won't be any chance of feature or other additional visibility for you from apple
    2) basically all leaderboard/score apis will need some kind of authentication, meaning you will need to have an account with them,
    3) and it is much more guaranteed that on ios user has gamecenter account rather than google/amazon/facebook
    4) as you said yourself, GameMinion is dead, Heyzap is deprecated their leaderboards/achievements, openkit is closing, there is no other way other than using platform specific

My self, I usually use GameCenter for IOS, Google Play Services for Google Play, GameCircle for Amazon, my own backend for all other 3rd party stores
  • totebototebo Member
    Awesome answer. And saves me time. Thanks!
    My Gideros games: www.totebo.com
  • jdbcjdbc Member
    edited June 2014
    I use Parse + Facebook authentication in my game "Animal Wild Rescue" for keeping a custom leaderboard for a set of levels. Android and iOS users can share his progress with friends.

http://giderosmobile.com/forum/discussion/4957/which-is-actually-the-best-leaderboard-achievement-framework-to-be-use-with-gideros/p1

It seems that Facebook allows to use anonymous login, although I have not used yet. I did not know Openkit is closing.

Anyway I guess GameCenter is a good option if your game is only going to publish on Apple Store.