Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
I'll quit the game creation stuff — Gideros Forum

I'll quit the game creation stuff

marcmarc Member
edited February 2014 in Introduce yourself
I won't have any review contest in twitter on my game. I just know it. And I don't know how to create a game taking hard earned money away from people for virtual candy or any game mechanics that was not new in the last 10 years. It's just not my morale, my attitude.

Making games for fun? C'mon, then I'd do it on a C64. Java is no fun, really not, neither is Android. For me. The only fun is touch input.

There's other stuff to program that I actually like and is not much of a financial gambling at all. Shouldn't I just freakin quit the creating games? I should.

Here I come, audio software. Go to hell, stupid Android game market. :)

That was Introducing myself. Hi and bye. :)

Comments

• ar2rsawseenar2rsawseen Maintainer
    edited March 2014
    @marc If you don't want to take money form people, do ad based games.
    I think there are some developers here on the forum making great deal only from advertising (no selling, no iaps).

In this case you will need to really concentrate on quantity of apps and crosspromotions, but it is possible to get there :)
  • or just do it for fun and put it for free on some app store and enjoy enthusiastic review that how such an awesome game can be free and without ads.

there are a lot of good free (and open-source) games around in fact, maybe more for pc, but that's more the reason to do it on android.
  • ar2rsawseenar2rsawseen Maintainer
    Or write tutorials, books, make a blog, sell templates

Lots of possibilities here :)

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • @marc, not sure understood your outburst.
    Is it ethics or something else that is the problem? Make games for the Retro platforms, you know that there is a big community that is still active making games for the C=64, ZX Spectrum and such other computers.

Do you want to create or you are against creating it yourself. Have you made any games in the past? and maybe you want to discuss what has ticked you off.

While it seems that you are against people taking the money for candy, etc. I feel that the way the top charts are set and the things that happen there is unethical and unfair.
    twitter: @ozapps | http://www.oz-apps.com | http://howto.oz-apps.com | http://reviewme.oz-apps.com
    Author of Learn Lua for iOS Game Development from Apress ( http://www.apress.com/9781430246626 )
    Cool Vizify Profile at https://www.vizify.com/oz-apps
  • marcmarc Member
    edited March 2014
    @marc, not sure understood your outburst.
    Is it ethics or something else that is the problem?
    It's a lot of tiny problems plus me thinking about them too much.

Make games for the Retro platforms, you know that there is a big community that is still active making games for the C=64, ZX Spectrum and such other computers.
    Actually I love the simplistic and great sounding C64 sound. And what I love about it is that it seems so possible to understand everything about an older computer, whereas with Java, Android, Eclipse, Play api etc, it's like a very complicated job put into the tiniest device. And I constantly need two devices, PC and the mobile device.
    But actually I know, it's the outcome that counts.

Do you want to create or you are against creating it yourself. Have you made any games in the past? and maybe you want to discuss what has ticked you off.
    Last year I made game with Direct X. I've used Lua to create an API that I liked a lot, it had no scene graph (which I think I prefer now, it needs less code to build the scene obviously), but it had a nice draw("mypicture.png") that was the only command you needed. It "cached" and repacked the textures on the fly, based on when they were last accessed. Kinda like if you'd draw with HTML/JS but even easier. And when my game was ready, looked nice, had multiplayer support and had everything tidied up nicely into the API etc.... I threw all away.

My newest idea is to create a digital audio workstation with the help of Lua. On the one hand I hate deciding what to put into C-based code and what to do with Lua, but the scripting might still boost it a lot. And nobody has really tried yet to use the scripting for building nearly everything. I'm not sure if I should start that project. Well.. yep.

While it seems that you are against people taking the money for candy, etc. I feel that the way the top charts are set and the things that happen there is unethical and unfair.
    Like King.com cloning Scamperghost and now trying to forbid the use of the word candy and things like that?

With the in-app-buying I really dislike that there's no control what you spend. It could mean everyone just spends what's reasonable to spend for a game, ... but it could be lot more and many reviews on Google Play state "they stole my money" kinda. I just would not be able to handle that kind of review and I would give back 200% the money, in order to feel not taking away something. Hmm... crazy.
  • marcmarc Member
    or just do it for fun and put it for free on some app store and enjoy enthusiastic review that how such an awesome game can be free and without ads.

there are a lot of good free (and open-source) games around in fact, maybe more for pc, but that's more the reason to do it on android.
    My current job is between low wage and nothing. I'm virtually working as a room cleaner. That's why in the end I chose projects that looked financially promising. I don't know how to decide on that part anymore.

(I'm looking at job listings virtually every day...)
  • marcmarc Member
    edited March 2014

My friend makes money with blogging about ... everything. Pets, computer, tv... I tried to start a blog now at least two times. It felt awkward not to do programming for a project. After two entries I actually started thinking about how I could create the blog with artificial intelligence...
  • jdbcjdbc Member
    edited March 2014

My friend makes money with blogging about ... everything. Pets, computer, tv... I tried to start a blog now at least two times. It felt awkward not to do programming for a project. After two entries I actually started thinking about how I could create the blog with artificial intelligence...
    It could be fine an artificial intelligence and neural networks, I think it is very interesting.

Anyway about make money with games is difficult, but the good thing are the following:

- You are learning a lot while you develop games. I do not know Lua language one year and a half ago.
    - Meanwhile programming you have most reusable code base and programming time is reducing. I have programming a Flappy Bird clone just in three days using most of my previous developed code.
    - People is playing your game and you can earn some money. Some money is better than nothing.
    - If your code is quite good you can sell it
    - You can write tutorials, books, forums.
    - You do not need much time to write a simple but addictive game.
    - There are several ways to monetize games.

This is my current plan for making games.
  • marcmarc Member
    or just do it for fun and put it for free on some app store and enjoy enthusiastic review that how such an awesome game can be free and without ads.

Anyway about make money with games is difficult, but the good thing are the following:

- You are learning a lot while you develop games. I do not know Lua language one year and a half ago.
    - Meanwhile programming you have most reusable code base and programming time is reducing. I have programming a Flappy Bird clone just in three days using most of my previous developed code.
    - People is playing your game and you can earn some money. Some money is better than nothing.
    - If your code is quite good you can sell it
    - You can write tutorials, books, forums.
    - You do not need much time to write a simple but addictive game.
    - There are several ways to monetize games.

This is my current plan for making games.

I was somehow too negative about it.

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook