Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
what dimension gideros actually use to figure auto resolution? — Gideros Forum

what dimension gideros actually use to figure auto resolution?

edited January 2014 in General questions
currently I had to set my @2 to 1.47 while @4 is 4

So my question is... this is 1.47 times or 4 times what? The width? Area? Height? Diagonal?

I am trying to make a table of devices, to predict what they multiply (based on our logic size) and find a optimal size for big resolution while avoiding devices with low memory (for example if you use only the width, this would be a problem if a guy make a 2048x200 device...)
I make games for children: http://www.kidoteca.com

Comments

• ar2rsawseenar2rsawseen Maintainer
    edited January 2014
    Currently the formula is calculating average scaling by
    scale = (scaleX + scaleY) / 2
    and choose the nearest graphics set.

But we are also open to other suggestions ;)
  • I suggest (and request) the addition of one word:

'...choose the nearest LARGER graphics set'.

Making that small change (or at least making it optional) would make Gideros games look consistently better on displays with a pixel density lower than 326ppi.

Developers must, of course, remember to include all of the necessary image files.
    Kate's Catalogue of Travelling Theatre Centres :
    Meet Kate. Grey is her favourite colour. Maths is her favourite subject. Decency is her favourite type of behaviour.
    She definitely does not like jewellery or modelling, but loves aeroplanes and other machines made of aluminium.
  • I think it is already the larger set, no?

For example for my @2 I set it to 1.47 so some almost 2x phones can use it.
    I make games for children: http://www.kidoteca.com
  • @Platypus as @atilim just changed the behavior with new version, now I'm not sure
    but where have you been on the previous thread where this was discussed and actually initiated this update process :)
  • PlatypusPlatypus Member
    edited January 2014
    I'm sorry I missed it.

However, on a previous occasion when bitmap scaling options were being discussed, one of the Britons (possibly @Scouser – I can't remember) was already saying everything I wanted to say, so I didn't bother chiming in*.

I'm sure most of us prefer to avoid enlarging non-vector images. Reduction is usually okay, though. (Of course, 1:1 correspondence with hardware pixels is ideal.)

I must admit, though, that on ≥326ppi hardware, a small amount of enlargement (say, 315ppi images resampled to 326ppi) can go unnoticed.

*The old discussion I'm referring to was about the scaling options. At the time, I had wanted to say two things:

1) The name 'Pixel Perfect' means, to me, 'No Scaling', so I have long wanted that name to be changed.

2) If there is to be a scaling option that does not resample the images, it can only ever employ whole square ENLARGEMENT of images (not reduction), which is perfectly suitable for games using deliberately blocky 'pixel' art.
    Meet Kate. Grey is her favourite colour. Maths is her favourite subject. Decency is her favourite type of behaviour.
    She definitely does not like jewellery or modelling, but loves aeroplanes and other machines made of aluminium.
  • Postscript:

By the way, the new image-selection behaviour that @Atilim has implemented in Gideros 2014.01 is an excellent step in the right direction. Thank you.