Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
So I upgraded to ios7, and can't install the iOS Player anymore? — Gideros Forum

So I upgraded to ios7, and can't install the iOS Player anymore?

MellsMells Guru
edited October 2013 in General questions
Hi all,

I have upgraded my devices to ios7 and wanted to upgrade to Gideros 2013.06.03 also.
My mac is under OSX Lion.
  • So when I tried to install the player on ios7, xCode told me that the version (of xCode) I was running was not compatible with ios7 and I need to updated to the latest xCode
  • So I have updated xCode through the App Store to the latest version (was surprised the update didn't appear in the "Updates" list though). No warning, everything went fine.
But now I can't run xCode because it seems that this version is not compatible with OSX Lion. (Why did the App Store let me install xCode if it's not compatible with my OS? mmmmmm).

My questions
  1. Do you know any workaround? I can't downgrade my devices to ios6 and can't install the player on ios7
  2. Would you update to Mountain Lion ($20) and in a few days/weeks update to Mavericks ($?) or wait for Mavericks to be available?
I thought that a few of us would like to be aware of that issue (if that's not the case already).

Edit :
Ok, @OZApps already mentioned the issue :

The other problem with Apple (yes, it is doing what Microsoft did earlier, turning away its developers) is making it difficult to develop for their platform. My iMac is still running Lion so I cannot update to xCode5. My iPad is running iOS 7 so cannot use it with the older version of xCode for development or adding apps onto it, I have to use alternatives like iTunes and synching. To develop for iOS7, I need atleast Mountain Lion andxCode5... this will break compatibility with several other older apps and utils that I rely on or use, the removal of rosetta has seen some good apps fade away that were not updated for intel platforms.
twitter@TheWindApps Artful applications : The Wind Forest. #art #japan #apps

Comments

• I have the same issue, as for now, i'm waiting for Mavericks, and for developing, on XCode 4, i do Archive > AdHoc and then put the App to iPad with new itunes / iFunBox. I prefer iFunBox.
  • MellsMells Guru
    edited October 2013
    @tkhnoman
    thanks for commenting.
    So I've downloaded xCode 4.6.3 through the Developer portal (the App Store only offers xCode 5), and will try to install through itunes.
    iFunBox seems to be free? I thought it was a paid program.
  • john26john26 Maintainer
    This is worrying as I have an older Mac Pro which can only support OS X Lion. It cannot be upgraded to Mountain Lion or Mavericks. If apple is forcing developers onto Mavericks it would mean I need to buy more hardware.
  • MellsMells Guru
    edited October 2013
    @tkhnoman
    how do you Archive > AdHoc under xCode 4.x?
    My iPad and iPod (running ios7) don't appear in the list of destinations :
    Scheme > Destination
    GiderosiOSPlayer >
    • iOS Device
    • iPad 6.1 Simulator
    • iPhone 6.1 Simulator
    So any time I try to Archive I get an error : Archive GiderosiOSPlayer : failed.
    @ar2rsawseen how did you solve that?
  • ianchiaianchia Member
    edited October 2013
    @Mells - you can only develop for iOS7 under Xcode 5. Xcode 4.x does not support iOS7 devices *at all*. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

You *can* downgrade your iOS7 devices back to iOS6 though. Just reflash the firmware by doing a Restore (holding down the Option key) in iTunes. You can download the older firmware here: http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

All the firmware images are legit. The links are all downloaded from Apple, not a 3rd party. Note though, I'm unsure whether you'll be able to restore your apps' settings even if you do a full backup first in iTunes, and then after the re-flash, another backup restore inside iTunes. It works going upwards from 6 to 7. I've never tried it going backwards.

If you intend on reflashing the device to be a clean device, I've heard that putting it into DFU mode first makes it a "cleaner" install, though I'm unsure whether that's an urban myth. (-;

- Ian
  • @ianchia That's ok :)
    It seemed to me from reading the other comments in the discussion that there was a way to create an .ipa in xcode?
    I just couldn't generate that .ipa because xCode does not see any device.

Can't I create an .ipa at all?
  • @Mells - I always use Archive, so I dunno. :( I suppose you could manually re-sign your app using the other provisioning profiles and then create the appropriate zipped IPA bundle, but that sounds like a lot of hard work and many little bits that can go wrong along the way.

- Ian
  • @mells

you can create .ipa just select ios device and then use product --> archive there is no need to connect device while creating ipa

:)
    @ianchia

"you can only develop for iOS7 under Xcode 5. Xcode 4.x does not support iOS7 devices *at all*. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news."

What version of OS X do I need to run Xcode 5?
  • @hgvyas123
    I tried but I mentioned the failure above :
    ld: file is universal (2 slices) but does not contain a(n) armv7s slice: xxx/Plugins/libluasocket.a for architecture armv7s
    clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
    :-B
  • MellsMells Guru
    edited October 2013
    @john26 Moutain Lion " OS X 10.8.4 or later"
  • What version of OS X do I need to run Xcode 5
    ------> minimum 10.8.4 luckily all the builds even made with older xcode are working on ios7 and for next few months it will work at least until apple force us to upgrade to new xcode we are safe (atleast me :D ) later need to buy new mac :-B

• @hgvyas123
    I tried but I mentioned the failure above :
    ld: file is universal (2 slices) but does not contain a(n) armv7s slice: xxx/Plugins/libluasocket.a for architecture armv7s
    clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
    :-B
    must be something else is wrong just tried to create ipa with freshly exported gideros project and it worked

@mells and @hgvyas123, thanks for your advice above. I've managed to produce an iOS 6.1 app and submitted to the Apple app store (using Xcode 4.6).

@mells are you still having trouble? Can you not create an iOS 6.1 Gideros Player and install it on an iOS 7 device? iOS 7 devices should be able to run all iOS 6 apps I think?
  • @john26
    The troubles I had was to install an app for a device running ios7 on a Mac running Lion (and not Mountain Lion).
    I was not able to install the Gideros iOs Player on my device. So in my case it was not an issue with ios7 devices but an issue with compatibility :
    1. I needed xCode 5 to build for ios7 and install it on my device (xCode 4.x was not seeing my ios7 devices)
    2. I needed Mountain Lion to install xCode 4
    3. I did not want to update for Mountain Lion (was waiting Mavericks)

The workaround I had found was to :
    1. delete xCode5 that the Mac AppStore had let me install on my Lion install (despite the incompatibility)
    2. install xCode4.x from the developer portal
    3. Build an .ipa for ad-hoc distribution
    4. Transfer to my ios7 device through iTunes

I updated to Mavericks and installed xCode5 so I believe my devices should now showup in the list of devices in xCode, with simulators. But I didn't have time to check it yet... I might have other surprises when I do.
    I see, thanks. I will probably use this approach myself eventually. I haven't upgraded my iPad to iOS 7 yet. I always create .ipa files anyway since it is the only way I can upload to the App Store, via Application Loader (in my case Xcode cannot seem to do this due to "network issues", many others have similar problems).