Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Retro low-res games with Gideros — Gideros Forum

Retro low-res games with Gideros

john26john26 Maintainer
edited July 2013 in Suggestions & requests
Retro games are often popular, e.g. Orange Pixel games, and they tend to get good coverage in Touch Arcade and other places. In a recent discussion I noted that the iPad has exactly 4 times the resolution of the ZX Spectrum (1024x768). So I was thinking, could a logical resolution of 256x192 be supported in such a way that the game is written relative to 256x192 then pixel quadrupled onto the iPad screen? This pixel quadrupling needs to preserve the original pixels but convert each pixel to a 4x4 block. Thus the iPad screen looks exactly like a Spectrum screen with clearly visible pixels.

This should work with vector graphics as well: if I draw a 45 degree line on the virtual 256x192 screen the "staircase" appearance of the line should be clearly visible. I.e. the line should not be redrawn at higher resolution when in "stretch" mode. Vector images need to be magnified pixel-by-pixel not simply redrawn on a different coordinate system.

Of course the example I gave iPad/Spectrum is just one pairing that might be considered. But the two resolutions should be exact multiples.

Comments