Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
render to texture related feature request: create virtual sprite hierarchy to render — Gideros Forum

render to texture related feature request: create virtual sprite hierarchy to render

keszeghkeszegh Member
edited July 2013 in Suggestions & requests
so atilim said that export to file will be added later. that's cool.

i have another thing, that might be easy to do and seems that it would be quite useful.
what i want to achieve is to put together sets to render to texture more freely than what the sprite child/parent structure allows. basically i want to be able to build a virtual child/parent structure just to render it to texture.

why i need this?
i want to render out lot's of meshes, half of them added to a sprite A visible on screen, other half not visible on screen (let's say it is added to a sprite B). one can forget about the small parts, let's say i have a sprite A added to stage and a sprite B not added to stage. what is the way to render all these to one texture?
if i add A and B to a sprite not on stage than A disappears from screen, if i add A and B to a sprite on screen than B appears on screen, none of these i want.

one solution would be the ability to be able to add a sprite to several parents at the same time. i understand that in general this could lead to complications etc there are probably many reasons why this can't or won't be implemented. on the other hand just to render to texture there could be a possibility to build a virtual sprite hierarchy.

actually while writing this i realized that using tables and multiple draw()-s, one for each element can emulate this, e.g. put the sprites in a table hierarchy (instead of a child/parent hierarchy) and sweep through them, drawing them one-by-one to the rendertarget.

so @atilim, a question about the performance of the latter idea:
is drawing 1000 sprites to a rendertarget in a for loop the same speed as adding the sprites to a common parent and drawing this one parent to the rendertarget?

if yes, still an addon class to make this in a clean way would be useful (emulating the sprite hierarchy to make 'virtual' sprite hierarchies for using in rendertarget draws).

Comments