Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Home Made NAS — Gideros Forum

Home Made NAS

GregBUGGregBUG Guru
edited December 2012 in Relax cafe
i'm fighting to setup my next NAS... Media Streamer, file server, private cloud server (for home use anyway)
try to select fast hw but with low power consumption...

for now i'm using micro ITX Intel Dual Atom 1.6, 2GB RAM, 2GB CompactFlash as system HD,
and 2 Green WD 1TB (RAID 1, mirror)
then i'm not sure if is better to use FreeNas or Nas4Free (similary but not equal)

anyone with some experience?
TNT ENGiNE for Gideors Studio - Particle Engine, Virtual Pad, Animator Studio, Collision Engine - DOWNLOAD NOW !!! IT'S FREE!!! -
www.tntengine.com

Comments

• I've used FreeNas with good results about 12 months ago.

To be honest, unless you are wanting to tinker and have FULL control over the setup, it's a lot of overhead to manage where an off the shelf option that you just add your HDD would take care of most requirements. They are already designed for low power consumption and handle streaming options fairly well.

Myself - I have a HTPC running ubuntu and XBMC for media streaming with DLNA + AIRPLAY for my iOS devices. XBMC is great! :D
  • Seems like a lot of work and cost. Depends on what you want with the server.

I am using a ready-made solution.
    I use an Astone media player 1080p wired directly into my wireless router.
    This has a built in NAS as well as Bittorrent and of course Media Player that plays any format. It has 2 USB ports and I have a 2TB drive pluged in. It uses a Linux OS embedded on the chip.

There are newer and cheaper models with Smart TV included.

This system has worked flawlessly for the past 2 years

Since the router is wireless it is available all over the house. Startup time is very fast.

I can play files stored on my computer directly from it using file sharing and vice versa. It is also DNLA compatible.

It can also play directly from a plugged in DVD/ iPhone/iPod

Costs[2 years ago] ?

Cable $10- 15m cable
    Astone - $110
    Drive - 2TB - $110

I find this the easiest since setup is quick and easy.

Reminds me that my 2 TB hd is almost full. Never thought it would fill so fast. Time to upgrade it.:)