Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Game Center / Online Leaderboards / Achievements / Android (wibble) — Gideros Forum

Game Center / Online Leaderboards / Achievements / Android (wibble)

moopfmoopf Guru
edited November 2012 in General questions
OK, wibble was added into that subject just because that's how it's making me feel. I don't know if I'm over-thinking this or what, but in deciding what to support for social gaming, and how to do it, I'm kind of going round in circles. For iOS it's pretty obvious - you support Game Center with leaderboards and achievements.

And then, for Android, which way do you jump? Regardless of what system you choose you'll need to have the player either login or create an account and this is where it complicates things. If you're asking somebody to sign-up and create an account, but actually it's a third party that the user is essentially signing up for, there are possible T&C issues in terms of who they think they are providing details to and who they actually are unless you make it absolutely obvious. The reason for this is that all the ones that it would be possible to integrate into Gideros don't have a UI - so you have to do all that yourself, rather than palming them off to something like Openfeint (called GREE now, don't think this could be integrated into Gideros without built-in support really or plugins)

There is a slight pause for thought in that do you also offer local achievements for those that don't use Game Center / Android equivalent as well?

Then you've also got a problem of leaderboards being separated across platforms. I know things like Scoreoid are available on both but I just don't see the point of integrating that in an iOS release, when Game Center is already built in. If I remember rightly Openfeint used to feed into Game Center as well, but I don't think any do that anymore.

So basically I've got a headache. Do I just forget about online leaderboards and achievements for Android? Do I make achievements only if they're using Game Center?

Any thoughts from others would be appreciated.
+1 -1 (+3 / -0 )Share on Facebook

Comments

• atilimatilim Maintainer
    Do you know if there is a solution (both available in Android and iOS) other than OpenFeint that feed into Game Center as well? If so, I prefer that one compared to others.

Still signup is a problem. For example, although I'm playing a lot of mobile games, I've never signed up for OpenFeint.
  • Hi @atilim, I don't think there is a solution like that at present, certainly I haven't come across anything yet.

And you're right, signup is an issue. There have be rumours for a long time that Google is planning to launch its own Game Center thing and the only time I've seen a rough date mentioned is with the Key Lime Pie release but that was renamed Jelly Bean and is out now and doesn't include anything.
  • @atilim, just realised (didn't know as I haven't investigated it a lot) that Amazon have their own social gaming thing called Game Circle. What would be the chances of getting that integrated?