Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
A Stackoverflow like QA system, instead of this forum — Gideros Forum

A Stackoverflow like QA system, instead of this forum

gorkemgorkem Maintainer
edited August 2012 in Suggestions & requests
This discussion was created from comments split from: A Stackoverflow like QA system, instead of this forum..

Original message by @___:

Pros:
You can mark things as solved.
Best rated answers are shown on top.
Rep system will encourage people to contribute more (You can give people with top rep a free pro account )
You can sort questions by number of votes, to find interesting questions.

Cons:
Another site to manage.

The best open source scripts for this (that I know of) are these
http://gitorious.org/shapado (Ruby, MongoDB)
http://www.osqa.net/ (Python/Django)

Edit: Oops, posted this in General questions. Please move this to Suggestions & requests

Comments

• @___ I once thought just like you.
    But now I'm so used to this forum, even with it's crappy search :D

Let's say if we move support questions to QA system, what will be left to chat about in forum? :)
  • gorkemgorkem Maintainer
    @___ I'm not sure if q&a model is a lot more advanced than a generic forum system. Even if it does, then we need to find a way to migrate all user generated content. If there's a way (a short Google'ing shows there isnt) then we could discuss merits and benefits of migrating.
  • ______ Member
    @___ I once thought just like you.
    But now I'm so used to this forum, even with it's crappy search :D

Let's say if we move support questions to QA system, what will be left to chat about in forum? :)
    After spending about a week with Unity 3D's QA system, and earning 19k+ rep on StackOverflow (:D) in 2 years 4 months, I really don't want to go back to a normal "forum".

For QA questions, that platform is soo much better. For discussions, like this one, we can still use this forum.

Also, what if there's nothing left to chat about in the forum, as long as users benefit from it? :D

People call me "underscore".
  • ______ Member
    @___ I'm not sure if q&a model is a lot more advanced than a generic forum system. Even if it does, then we need to find a way to migrate all user generated content. If there's a way (a short Google'ing shows there isnt) then we could discuss merits and benefits of migrating.
    Hmm. Is there any need of moving existing discussions? They can continue to exist here. Auto moving won't have any point, as the answers need to be selected manually. You can just add a notice to the start a discussion page to post questions which have a definite answer or is not a normal discussion thread, should be posted on the qa site.

Sidenote: Shapado.com offers free and paid hosted services. I tried setting up a test account for Gideros, but there signup page doesn't seem to be working right now.
    @___ To be honest, I'm very skeptical about moving to another infrastructure without knowing (dis)advantages first. I'll check to see if there are more merits other than bonus points and so, by experimenting some community Q&A forums.
  • ______ Member
    Sure :)
  • ar2rsawseenar2rsawseen Maintainer
    edited August 2012
    @___ QA forum with point system, well I don't know. Don't you afraid of being "under scored" ? :D
    @___ QA forum with point system, well I don't know. Don't you afraid of being "under scored" ? :D
    Probably not. See the top posters block. He's climbing one by one. :-bd
  • ______ Member
    Good one ;)
  • ______ Member
    Probably not. See the top posters block. He's climbing one by one. :-bd
    You can't climb two spots at once, unless two people are tied :D

I have severe mood swings, I may disappear from here any day, and return 6 months later :D

• May be there is some addon or plugin for vanilla forums which is improving the search functionality.
    If it will be improved this place is really good:D
    And i totally agree with @ar2rsawseen if we move support topics then we will have nothing to chat about.
  • While searching vanilla forum plugins i found this one it seems not bad.
    @gorkem http://vanillaforums.org/addon/qna-plugin
  • ______ Member
    While searching vanilla forum plugins i found this one it seems not bad.
    @gorkem http://vanillaforums.org/addon/qna-plugin
    Ohh, this is cool! Nice find @talis. This is the plugin Vanillaforums.org uses on their site too.
  • @___ as you stated this this addon has been reviewed and approved by Vanilla Forums staff. So it means that it is stable and bug free and waiting for approval for installation :D
  • MellsMells Guru
    edited August 2012
    I really like UnityAnswers because best answers are voted and appear at the top of each question.
    Also, there are some guidelines about how to post good questions (to get good answers) and this format is the best in my opinion to find an answer quickly.
    And last, answered/unanswered questions are easy to find.

That's why I would add my voice for a Q&A system, if that's something that the Gideros team is interested to experiment in the future.

Just my 2 cents :)
    twitter@TheWindApps Artful applications : The Wind Forest. #art #japan #apps
  • ar2rsawseenar2rsawseen Maintainer
    edited August 2012
    Wow that plugin seems like really unobtrusive integration of QnA into forum :)

It shows best answer first and marks answered questions, which are like threads in any category.

Only I don't know about point systems, but that is additional incentive. But this addon can really improve the quality of support provided inside the forum.
  • ______ Member
    Ok, but one thing I hated about this (when I was browsing Vanilla forums's site a year or two ago, was that you couldn't comment on answers. You had to post another answer. Everything turns up into a mess.

Tiny example: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/19965/changingediting-the-profile-page

Check out stackoverflow for the ideal implementation of a QA system.

I vote against using this plugin.
  • Well of course, there are disadvantages, like when you posted on the question thread, even if it was not marked as a best answer, thread still shows as answered on a main page. I don't know if that's configurable or not.

But anyway, let's at least give this a try. :) While @gorkem exploring other options :D
    And I see that this addon is on! :)
    How can you see it? I mean, I enabled, but cannot see any changes on the interface.
    Oh, if it's started as a question then there's the option. Ok. Solved :)

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • talistalis Guru
    edited August 2012
    i guess we can not apply this system for the older posts, but anyway from now on it will be superb:D