Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat
Box2D Version and off screen objects (culling) - Gideros Forum

Box2D Version and off screen objects (culling)

twisttaptwisttap Member
edited May 2012 in General questions
Hello,
I'd like to ask which version of Box2D is used in Gideros and how is the off screen objects are handled (both physics bodies and not)
Tagged:

Comments

• ar2rsawseenar2rsawseen Maintainer
    I guess, offscreen bodies are still in memory and in box2d calculations if that what you meant.
    There is no performance optimization there, you'll need to implement something on your own, which deactivates and reactivates bodies, when they are out of screen and coming back.

I'm not sure right now, but I guess that "invisible" (hopefully also off the screen) textures are handled differently, in a more efficient way, but this statement needs a confirmation from @atilim.
  • MellsMells Guru
    edited May 2012
    There was a topic ("Moving screen in Box2d world") and a comment by Atilim on March 28 :

On the other hand, rendering a much larger world than the screen will have performance issues. Currently the only way is dividing the world into some pieces (e.g. about the size of the screen) and adding only the visible parts.

I know this can be really complicated but we're also working on efficient culling of off-screen sprites.
    twitter@TheWindApps Artful applications : The Wind Forest. #art #japan #apps
  • Thank you, that was the thing I was looking for.