Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Hi there, nice to be onboard — Gideros Forum

Hi there, nice to be onboard

icorericorer Member
edited May 2012 in Introduce yourself
Hi my names Duncan and I've just come across Gideros only yesterday having never heard of it before then. From reading all about it and seeing the active community I feel it will hopefully meet the needs I have planned for my upcoming project.

I have very limited programming experience, however am a quick learner and extremely dedicated and motivated so hope that will work in my favour. I shall endeavour not to bombard you all with questions and will try my best to get going from reading various resources etc. I do however have a few basic questions just to get me started, that if answered would be greatly appreciated and point me in the right direction, thus I can hopefully make good headway with compiling my sprites and graphics whilst studying up on the coding side of things.

Basically the overview of my planned app is to help teach language to young kids via mini games (memory games, matching etc), therefore a large chunk of my app will be using sprites/images (often the same ones in multiple ways). Therefore would be great if the few points below could be answered.

1. Do I have to have my sprites in multiple sizes for each of the planned activities, thus increasing overall size of app or can I get away without doing this, thus having them scaled up and down on the fly according to my specifics?

2. As I would like to maximise the potential for the new ipad what resolution images should I aim to have sprites and backgrounds at, with a view of scaling these down for the iphones etc.

3. In view of the fact my app is going to be image heavy what alternatives could I implement to reduce overall app size? I've recently read a little about SVG format, would this be a recommended over png? I'm not sure about the pros and cons at this stage but any input gratefully received.

4. Lastly, as I plan on having different mini game types all within the one app, is it recommended/possible to create each one as a separate project and join them with a main project that loads each one accordingly when selected from the menu?

I apologise if some old ground is being covered in answering but I couldn't find specific answers regarding my queries.

Thanks and look forward to being part of the community :D

Comments

• ar2rsawseenar2rsawseen Maintainer
    Hello ;)

You can check this thread to best image practices:
    http://www.giderosmobile.com/forum/discussion/comment/5420

Short answer, usually it is done, by using multiple resolution images, but you can easily create multiple projects, that reuses same lua files with your code, but loads different graphics, making it easy to manage projects for different resolution devices, like Ipad and Iphone. Because you will be editing same code files, that both of them share.

And with Gideros OOP approach, you don't need to create multiple projects and then merge them. You can use SceneManager class, for example, where each game could be a separate scene with it's own scope.
  • gorkemgorkem Maintainer
    Regarding 4), yes, it's perfectly do-able, however it's usually meaningful when you have both free and paid games at hand, and you have the opportunity to drive IAP & sales using one , for another. There's the "Game Hub" app that comes preloaded on Samsung Galaxy S II, I'd say you can examine how it works.
  • Regarding 1) ... after you load in an image, you can rotate (Sprite:setRotatioin), scale in the x & y dimensions (Sprite:setScale), change colors (Sprite:setColorTransform, Sprite:setAlpha), and blend images (Sprite:setBlendMode).

Regarding 3) ... Gideros doesn't currently support SVG images. Depending on how complex your images are, you could draw then using the Shape class (Shape:moveTo, Shape:lineTo, ...).