Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Gideros at NPL — Gideros Forum

Gideros at NPL

john26john26 Maintainer
edited July 2013 in Announcements
This week I'm getting some school students to work with me at the National Physical Laboratory London. They will be learning to program using Gideros, in particular studying Box2D. I intend to get them to set up a molecular dynamics simulation with several molecules bouncing around on screen, possibly with joints so you can have a water molecule with 3 atoms etc. It's probably their first exposure to programming and I chose Gideros because of its simple language (Lua) and easy-to-use IDE. On the physics side I'll get them to check if Box2D correctly conserves energy and momentum, concepts they have probably learned in school. I suspect it will as Box2D solves mechanical laws accurately AFAIK.

At the end of the week, they will install their MD apps on their phones and show off to their friends! I think it's a fun way to get started in programming. As a 1980s dinosaur (started programming on the ZX Spectrum) I'm keen to encourage youngsters to program and I think the whole thing of mobile development is very exciting -- and Gideros is a nice way to do that. Who knows maybe they will turn out to be the next Oliver Twins:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Twins

+1 -1 (+5 / -0 )Share on Facebook

Comments