Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Need android beta testers! — Gideros Forum

Need android beta testers!

Well i would like to publish my first game. As a beta :)
I know it's kinda boring but bear with me.
BUT before publishing i want to test it throughly and for that i need help from you guys.
I only have my Galaxy SIII to test my games on.
So if you can download and test my graphics, performance etc. and give me feedback i will appreciate it...
My main questions are;
1- Can you control player easily with josticks (Left one controls the "hook" Right one controls the "player" btw.)
2- How are the graphics, colors on your screen. (I know that Galaxy S III gives more saturated colors, so how it's looking on your devices -maybe a screenshot :) - )
3- Performance ofc.
4- Any bugs? :(
5- Any advice -which isn't really hard to implement :P - always welcome :]

Keep in mind that this is an early beta game.:)

Here is the link; https://dl.dropbox.com/u/69915219/Balloon.apk

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook

Comments

• @kontinyu

Just downloaded now, will test out and take screenshot. Will report back with results :)

-Landon
    JLS
    Lead Coder and Designer
  • @kontinyu

After testing it for about 10-15min, here are my results:

Phone Specs:
    Type: HTC Rezound
    Android Version: 4.0.3
    HTC Sense Version: 3.6
    Processor: SnapDragon S3 Dual-Core 1.5GHz
    Screen Type: SuperLCD 2, 720p 4.3in screen

Gameplay:

Pros:
    -Runs very smoothly
    -Colors are nice and vibrant :)
    -Joysticks are spaced well and are very responsive
    -Fish are easy to catch :)

Cons:
    -Way to dark! Should be a little lighter and fish bowl should be lit up also when it's dark in the game so the user knows where it is at all times.
    -The LEFT Joystick, isn't as responsive as the right one. Still trying to figure out what it does. This brings me to my next point.
    -Where is the help screen?! It took me about 2 minutes to figure out how to play. There should be a help button at the start screen.
    -What does the arrow up in the top right do? It seems as if it is a back to main-menu button. If it is, you should prompt the user if they want to exit or not, not just go to the main menu.

Conclusion:

Overall it is a good game. It just needs a few tweaks here and there :)
    Score: 8/10

-Landon

Screenshot_2013-03-23-20-51-01.png
    720 x 1280 - 1M
    Screenshot_2013-03-23-20-51-25.png
    720 x 1280 - 484K
    JLS
    Lead Coder and Designer
  • @ljp1203 Wow! Really nice review. Thank you for your time :)
    Well i would like to inform that surprisingly all of your cons are on my todo list before release :D

With the exceptions of darkness maybe. Because you will earn double scorepoints for your night catches. :D
    Also lighting up the fish bowl is not possible unless we get masks sadly :(

The left jostick controls the "hook" :D but you are totally right about a help button.
    I'm gonna put some "are you sure" dialog boxes for top right controls too.

Again, thank you for your time and support, really. I'm glad you liked it. 8/10 is a good score for my first game at beta stage. :D

--
    I need more and more ideas and testers guys. If you can just run it few minutes and give feedback i would be pleased. Give me moarrr :D

• Tablet Google Nexus 7

I will only write what is wrong for me:

1) In my test i didn't taken all the fish, what should happen? Next level? There are more levels?
    2) The movement of the rope sometimes is a bit unreal...maybe too slow.
    3) As you can see in the screenshot a fish is flying(???). Is a bug?
    4) You should add some "air enemies" or something else, the game is too easy...can i die?
    5) You should add an help and a game menu!

Bye and good luck
    Screenshot_2013-03-25-09-24-11.png
    800 x 1280 - 810K
    Screenshot_2013-03-25-09-25-11.png
    800 x 1280 - 807K
  • The first thing I would suggest is read this thread to find out how to make your app run in landscape mode.
    The second thing to do is remove some of the permissions that are not required (i.e. GPS Location). There are people who will not download your app if it requests permissions that the game doesn't need.
    • Overall the game appears to play well although I find controlling the balloon with the on screen controls rather awkward. I preferred dragging the balloon round with my finger.
    • It does need some form of instruction screen.
    • I also noticed the flying fish. I think it happens when you hook one fish and drag another one out of the water. It just flies off the screen.
    • As arcadia says, you need some enemies, maybe a bird which can pop your balloon
    • The scoring is difficult to understand, how do you get a negative score? These things need explaining
    I have tested your app on 2 of my devices.
    Novo 7 Elf II (7" Tablet):
    Dual core 1.5GHz Cortex A9
    1GB Ram
    7" 1024 x 600 screen
    Android V4.0.3 (custom rom)

Google Nexus 4:
    Quad core Qualcomm Snapdragon™ S4 Pro
    2 GB RAM
    4.7" 1280 x 768 screen
    Android V4.2.2 (Jelly Bean)

The app ran well on both devices but as you will see from the images, there are some blank areas around the playing area.

It also appears that the grid effect of your screen doesn't work well on different resolution screens as you will see from my screenshots.
    Elf_II_img_1.png
    600 x 1024 - 566K
    Elf_II_img_2.png
    600 x 1024 - 308K
    Nexus_4_img_1.png
    768 x 1280 - 403K
    Nexus_4_img_2.png
    768 x 1280 - 411K
    Nexus_4_img_3.png
    768 x 1280 - 794K
  • Tablet Google Nexus 7

I will only write what is wrong for me:

1) In my test i didn't taken all the fish, what should happen? Next level? There are more levels? -- There will be more levels. Right now you can't catch all the fish. Because when you catch one, new one will be "created" :D
    2) The movement of the rope sometimes is a bit unreal...maybe too slow.
    3) As you can see in the screenshot a fish is flying(???). Is a bug? -- yes definitely :) will look into it.
    4) You should add some "air enemies" or something else, the game is too easy...can i die?- yes you can. and i will add a help menu asap. If you touch any surface or sea you will explode :D
    5) You should add an help and a game menu!

Bye and good luck
    Thank you! A lot!
    The first thing I would suggest is read this thread to find out how to make your app run in landscape mode. -- will do! thanks!
    The second thing to do is remove some of the permissions that are not required (i.e. GPS Location). There are people who will not download your app if it requests permissions that the game doesn't need. -- how to do that? is it okay if i just remove them from android manifest xml file ?
    • Overall the game appears to play well although I find controlling the balloon with the on screen controls rather awkward. I preferred dragging the balloon round with my finger. - Me too. But for small screens you cant see the screen while playing :D
    • It does need some form of instruction screen. - on the list.
    • I also noticed the flying fish. I think it happens when you hook one fish and drag another one out of the water. It just flies off the screen. - i noticed that too will look into that.
    • As arcadia says, you need some enemies, maybe a bird which can pop your balloon
    • The scoring is difficult to understand, how do you get a negative score? These things need explaining -- I think i can add a textfield when your actions cause your score to change on the scene. Also instructions will help too...
    I have tested your app on 2 of my devices.
    Novo 7 Elf II (7" Tablet):
    Dual core 1.5GHz Cortex A9
    1GB Ram
    7" 1024 x 600 screen
    Android V4.0.3 (custom rom)

Google Nexus 4:
    Quad core Qualcomm Snapdragon™ S4 Pro
    2 GB RAM
    4.7" 1280 x 768 screen
    Android V4.2.2 (Jelly Bean)

The app ran well on both devices but as you will see from the images, there are some blank areas around the playing area. -- I'm using the letterbox method. And i think i can't do a lot about them right now?

It also appears that the grid effect of your screen doesn't work well on different resolution screens as you will see from my screenshots. -- Yes i noticed. Do you think it can be improved with pixelperfect as a scaling option or is it a ppi problem? How can i solve this - keep in mind i can't reproduce this problem sadly i've got only one device :(

Overall; Thank you all your time and effort to test my humble game. I will take all of your ideas and try to make it better.

• Works well on my 10 inch Kogan branded Agora tablet running jellybean.

I also got the flying fish 'feature' :D Change them to salmon and say they are migrating upstream.

A little difficult to control with the control thingies, but any easier and the game would get boring fast. Discovered by accident I could touch the screen and control the balloon, although I didn't find it very responsive (but my tablet doesn't have the greatest response from touch, in general).

Agree that I was wondering why I had a negative score.

I'm not sure controls are refined enough to use the hook left-right movement to much advantage. I tended to mostly leave it straight down.

Keep up the good work. Nice 'arty style' graphics.

Cheers,
    Max
  • @loucsam
    Thank you for your time and effort :)
    Flying fish are created when you have catched a fish and die with it. It's beign fixed right now :D
    Also you get negative score when you explode. It will be clearer with the score texts i hope :)
    Hook control will be improved!
    I believe balloon controlling issues are indeed belong to your tablet :(

Thank you again. I create my own graphics and music with free resources from internet. And compose them to something new :)