Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Design vs. Development — Gideros Forum

Design vs. Development

GeoFruckGeoFruck Member
edited September 2012 in Game & application design
Hi all, I recently found this forum, and you all seem to be a little more welcoming than some of the dev sites I've found, so I've decided to step out of the shadows and ask something that I really have been dying to know.

Do you HAVE to know how to program/code in order to design a mobile game?

I have done a fair amount of research on this topic and found that the design process of a game is a very specific process, which doesn't necessarily need to have any actual programming involved. My best guesses from what I have uncovered so far is that it's either one or a combination of the following:
1) A holdover from when job functions were less specialized
2) An actual unspoken requirement to get your game out there, meaning it's more realistic to actually learn how to code in order to get your game out
*3) Programmers are so barraged by people approaching them with the next billion dollar app that they become jaded and numb to people, who don't know how to program, who want to make an app.

Of course, there are probably also other aspects that I am not aware of yet. The main reason that I am curious is because I am currently designing a game for mobile, and the most realistic way I can see to get it out there (which is still a long shot) is to finish the game design document, show examples of my progress and history in public view online, then try to convince donators on Kickstarter that I'm actually for real. Then I could hire a group to get my game done.

Any feedback would be most welcome.

*Edit: After some sleep, and re-reading this, that number 3 doesn't really fit there. I guess that is really pertaining to why programmers seem reluctant to work with people who just have an idea for an app.

Comments

• zvardinzvardin Member
    Accepted Answer
    I would argue it doesn't hurt, but not required. I'm no expert on the matter, but from any process that involves developers having a developer be there in a lot of the decision making processes can help a lot because you have a general idea of what is realistic. On the flip side, lot of developers maybe code geniuses, but have very little design principle knowledge outside of how to structure their code. The best scenario is to have both. I don't know what's realistic, but my impression is in the mobile world it tends to frequently be smaller shops and so you have people wearing multiple hats a lot, so to speak.
  • Thank you for the response, zvardin. That is actually quite interesting. I was under the impression that the market can't get enough mobile app developers. The thought never crossed my mind that there would be a lot of small shops, but I suppose that makes sense, since that's the direction I'm headed in. I also agree about having a developer there during the process. Most of the decisions I've been making are based on what is currently out there, and what I remember from the earlier computer games.
  • Keep in mind, this is somewhat of a hobby I'm looking into and would love to pursue further at some point when feasible and that I actually do contract work currently, so this is kind of my guess as far as mobile development goes. In fact, even in a lot of bigger companies, you may be dealing with a somewhat small team, or it could just be disorganized and have a similar effect where people who can take on multiple roles are highly regarded. I know with government contracting I get to do a lot of jobs.

As far as your idea, that's fine, but I think it may be very difficult to have a realistic design document without a developer to consult with as well. There are many stages of design with any project and the beginning ideas are honestly a small fraction of what has to be done. Hopefully, someone else may chime in who is more experienced in mobile development in particular though.
  • Well, I'm sure that there are still aspects of the game design that I may currently not be thinking of. In fact, while I have been progressing, I keep realizing that...oh, if I'm going to do this like this, I'm going to have to include this.. So, yes, it would be very beneficial to me if there was someone, who has experienced the process, to turn to for guidance. In any case, I can't wait for anyone, if I ever hope to get this game done and out there, I have to do it and muddle through as best as I can.
  • Hmm, I guess I should have read a few first. Yes, after looking at a few game design documents, they aren't exactly what I had envisioned. From the previous research I did, I decided that it should include all of the specifics necessary in order for a coder to take it and be able to turn it into a video game. From the few that I just looked at, they do seem to be fairly general, just specific enough to give an idea of what the game will be about. What I am documenting will be basically what you can find on a good game wiki. I expect that this would be enough detail to do the programming, but again, I'll keep moving forward with this intent, keep scrounging for any valuable information regarding the process, and eventually, I will get my game out. If I have to learn how to program it myself, then that's what I will do. Thanks again, zvardin :)
  • paul_k_clarkpaul_k_clark Member
    Accepted Answer
    If you are handing the document off to a third party then it is best to be specific as you can. If you don't then they could come back to you and say that this wasn't their understanding and that feature will cost more.

If it is inhouse then you can be more general.