Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Getting Started with Apple — Gideros Forum

Getting Started with Apple

Hi everyone! I'm trying to get a handle on publishing apps for iOS. I'm running... MacOS 10.14.4, X-Code 10.2.1, and Gideros 2019.5.

I've exported the jumping ball example from Gideros Studio for iOS, and used the require plugin and ticked "requires metal".
In XCode I've updated and migrated the project.
On building I get a ton of warnings and errors...
- Multiple "This function declaration is not a prototype" warnings.
- Multiple "Implementing depreciated method" warnings.
- Multiple "Pointer is missing a nullability type specifier (_Nonnull, _Nullable, or _Null_unspecified)" warnings.
- One "Unknown type name 'CAMetalLayer'; did you mean 'CATextLayer'?" error.
- One "No type or protocol named 'CAMetalDrawable' EAGLView.h" error.
- One "Conflicting return type in implementation of 'supportedInterfaceOrientations'" warning.

Can somebody help me with ridding myself of those errors please? :)
xcode_build_issues.png
1920 x 1080 - 1M

Comments

• hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Don’t worry about the warnings, they have been there for ages. To get rid of the errors, you need to build for a real iOS device, not for a simulator. The simulator doesn’t handle Metal, and don’t even have stubs for metal libs. Unluckily unticking Metal in gideros is not enough yet, next release of gideros will fix that last point though.

+1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • antixantix Member
    Changing to "Build Only Device > Generic iOS Device" has gotten rid of the two errors relating to metal but all of the warnings remain and it will not compile.

How can I get rid of those? I was hoping that exporting and then importing to X-Code would be easy.. it seems it is fraught with issues.
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Could it be a signing error ? Handling developer account and provisioning profiles has always been painful with apple tools, although much easier nowadays. But if so you should get an error (in red), not a warning. Warnings don't prevent the project from building.
  • antixantix Member
    No there's no signing error. The code is riddled with "depreciated methods", "conflicting return types" and other such things.

This is the code that Gideros generated so I hoped it would not contain errors like this :(
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Sorry to say this again, but those are not errors, just warnings.
  • antixantix Member
    edited June 2019
    Ahh okay, my programs will still not compile with them. What should I do now? Give up I suppose.

For anyone elses reference.. I just discovered today that you can actually create a free apple developer account if you want to do a bit of testing.. before sinking money into it.. which I did :(

Here's hoping that one day Gideros can export directly for apple like it already does for Android :)
  • antixantix Member
    I deleted all certificates and stuff and after recreating everything the app compiles.

Is it okay to submit it with all of those warnings? Will they cause issues or will the app run fine?
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    It will run fine, believe me, otherwise I would have fixed them already. Can't tell for all plugins combinations though. I always publish my company's app for android and iOS at the same time.

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • antixantix Member
    Thanks. Now that I've built this thing, I wonder where the heck the bundle is? If indeed that's what I'm supposed to upload to apple.
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    You need to build an archive, it will then appear in your organizer window. From tehere you'll be able to upload to the store
  • antixantix Member
    Thanks, I'll try to do that now :)
  • antixantix Member
    Hey is it possible to get a Gideros Player on an iOS device?
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Sure, just export your project as 'player (no assets)' in the export dialog.
  • antixantix Member
    I thought so. I'm now trying to figure out how to get it onto my device. My apple emulator doesn't recognize my iPhone when it's connected.
  • antixantix Member
    Ughh, I gave up for the day when I got the message "The app store icon in the asset catalog in 'crappletest iOS.app' can't be transparent nor contain an alpha channel" *sigh*
  • antixantix Member
    I somehow managed to get the app published and working on my device through testflight :)

However, there is a little Gideros splash screen that shows up for like 1/4 of a second before my own splash screen starts. Is this normal for apple? because it doesn't appear on Android and I've disabled splash in the projects settings.
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    You can't disable splash screen on iOS, it is shown by the OS before app code is executed. Just supply one in gideros project properties.
  • antixantix Member
    Thanks, I'll try that :)