Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Chartboost (Android) — Gideros Forum

Chartboost (Android)

MobAmuseMobAmuse Member
edited February 2014 in Plugins
I've been using chartboost with gideros apps for iOS and had good results for quite some time.

When I use chartboost with Android apps build with gideros although it works and I see test ads, when I turn off test ads at the chartboost end I rarely see a 'real ad' at all on any of my chartboost enabled gideros apps. Is this gideros or chartboost?

I've since contacted chartboost about this problem again regards Android (not iOS which is fine).

If I stays this way I'm going to swap to AdMob or something else on my Android apps in about a week as not making much at all from android side using chartboost.

Odd?

Comments

• unlyingunlying Guru
    Accepted Answer
    Chartboost has a really low fillrate on Android

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Yes it must be that as I can't think of anything else :P
  • Er nope it's borked...

Risto Laine (Chartboost)
    Feb 18 05:14 AM
    Hey,
    I think I found the issue. I retested the app and the calls are made now correctly and they return the interstitial assets as expected (see attached network logs). However, the interstitial does not appear on the screen. (Tested on Samsung Galaxy S3 mini) What device did you test successfully on?
    The impressions are counted whenever a request call is successfully answered by returning an interstitial to the device. However, as the interstitial itself does not appear on your app there can be no clicks from the user - not to mention installs leading to the decline of your revenue.
    I do not have experience with Gideros, but typically these kind of issues are due to the view management of different third party development frameworks. Would you be able to discuss this issue with your developer for possible insights? I can also take a look at the parts of source code where you call Chartboost methods, but might not be able to help out much as the methods do trigger as expected.
    Sincerely,
    Risto Laine
    Support Engineer
    Chartboost
  • Hmm, ok you can email them AdsChartboost.java to look at and tell what can be wrong ;)

• Will do later this afternoon no probs.
  • Risto at chartboost can be reached via: support@chartboost.com

I sent him the file but have taken the problematic android app offline for now as not making any money from it as it is like this of course.
  • For the record I tested on Galaxy S4 and Nexus 7 but have seen adds now and then which is even more odd.
  • I saw ads on an S3 for about an hour - then no more. lol

I think it's them.

Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
  • iOS is fine but the android side of chartboost just isn't working as it should. I saw loads of ads on s4 then nothing and hardly ever on nexus 7. I think I'll stick with them for iOS but use another ad provider for droid as this problem is not good.
  • @ar2rsawseen did 'Risto' get back to you with what the problem might be? Is it them or is it us?
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
  • No heard nothing further since I sent them that file.
  • Chartboost worked fine to me. However, you can consider Heyzap for monthly income. Heyzap performance on android is quite good.

• Well I've since had another bash at chartboost on android and now have a new version of the app v5.0 live in a few hours that does show both test and real ads across a range of devices just that they sometimes come thru quickly and other times not so my money is the problem is with chartboost too and not Gideros. The app (currently v4.0 but soon today v5.0) is here for anybody interested in how all this is going. I have taken note of Heyzap tho yes thank you thanquan1512.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobileamusements.FlyChookyFlyFREE
  • I sent the v5.0 api to risto too so will see what he says about it and report back later.

Chartboost is great cash on iOS so I would really like it to work on Android correctly too.
  • What did you do differently fro v4 to v5? I have very intermittent ads on chartboost - even in test.
  • MobAmuseMobAmuse Member
    edited February 2014
    I reverted my code back to v2.0 codebase which uses the chartboost install process as outlined in the gideros docs to the word. Both test and real ads are served on Android but they are very erratic in frequency of appearance I've found. Almost as if they are being throttled by chartboostat random on android. None of this applies to iOS which works great as usual. I still await Ristos response to v5.
  • This far regards and older version at least...

Hi again,

I got a similar like of support request today from another client. It might very well be part of this weird behavior. However, they are using the 3.3.0 SDK from Chartboost and I haven't yet received an answer wether they use Gideros. I'll get to the bottom of this and keep you looped in as the investigations progresses.

Sincerely,

Risto Laine
    Support Engineer
    Chartboost
  • and...

Update,

I am unable to reproduce the issue on our native Android sample project with the 3.4.0. Android SDK. The interstitials come in normally and every interstitial that is called to show do pop up as expected.

Haven't had an answer from the other developer if they also use Gideron.

Sincerely,

Risto Laine
    Support Engineer
    Chartboost
  • and latest...

Hi,

The 'ads in bulk' is expected behavior. When you run the app most advertising campaigns have a limit of 1 add / 1 device / 1 day. With a normal EU/US fill rate it is normal to see 3-5 interstitials before 'running out' of available advertisers.

I'm very happy that you can get the advertisement to show up normally - it means that the issue is not persistent across the network, but might in fact be something trivial. However, as you mention others are also wondering the erratic behavior of Chartboost and the recent similar request I got this definitely needs to be investigated thoroughly.

I'll keep working on this and discuss this with our US colleagues tonight in more detail in hopes of finding new angle to approach.

I'll keep you updated,

Risto Laine
    Support Engineer
    Chartboost
  • It still seems eratic even in test mode for me. :(
  • It's very erratic compared to the ios version but it does appear to work even tho it's a bit odd really. I think they need to tweak something soon!
  • Risto Laine (Chartboost)
    Feb 21 07:33 AM

Hi again,

We haven't made too much of progress, but neither have we had more similar tickets. You could ask your developers to try to use

cb.setImpressionsUseActivities(true);

and edit the AndroidManifest to have an activity for Chartboost.

Sincerely,

Risto Laine
    Support Engineer
    Chartboost
  • I wondered if it should have an Actvity - it looks like it's the only one that doesn't.

• Yes it seemed to me weird too, but there is no mention of activity in their docs and it worked correctly before, so I thought it was supposed to be that way :)

I added the activity and use activity call, it still does not work.

What I noticed that cacheInterstitial (which in my opinion has misleading name, as it preloads an ad, not caches it) always result in successful callback, but showInterstitial did not fire any callbacks for me. Since there is only single delegate provided, they both should have worked or shouldn't work. So if one works and other not it seems the problem is with the sdk.

So my first thought is that showInterstitial does not load an ad from the server.
    But then in docs it is said that showInterstitial would show a cached ad if there is one or load it from the server.

So I tried to call cacheInterstitial which again resulted in successful call back and then calling showInterstitial.
    Again nothing.

How ever if I do not include activity in manifest but leave setImpressionsUseActivities(true); it will crash, so it tries to do something internally with showInterstitial call.

So again I'm clueless

• Maybe you should contact 'Risto Laine (Chartboost)' - he might be able to give you more insight?

• Yes please contact him directly perhaps as I'm just 'pig in the middle' here and have no idea what is going on now :)
  • Risto can be contacted directly via support@charboost.com
  • It does work tho and I am seeing money in my chartboost dashboard from it when it does. Thing is he said earlier it's only supposed to show a few ads per day per device anyway but given the test ad is erratic I just know there is something wrong all the same.
  • Yes, the worrying thing is that the test ad is erratic - so you don't know if your own code is working or not.