Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Export to HTML5 with Gideros - Last call for the kickstarter - Page 4 — Gideros Forum

Export to HTML5 with Gideros - Last call for the kickstarter

Comments

• Can I just add - if for any reason the Kickstarter doesn't reach it's target, I'd be happy to move my pledge over to IndiGogo - that platform doesn't require you actually reach your goal to still get the money, as a lot of the work has already been done I'm guessing it'd be fair for @hgy29 to still get something for his time and maybe the scope of the final product could be dependant on the amount raised.

In fact - it might be an even better idea to run the campaign through the forum and send funds directly to @hgy29 via Paypal, I'm sure he'd be prepared to be transparent with progress updates on the forum and if we can see progress being made it might encourage other forum members (the ones who are most likely to benefit) to contribute (and maybe even re-contribute if required) - plus there's no end date..

Just my $0.02

WhiteTree Games - Home, home on the web, where the bits and bytes they do play!
    #MakeABetterGame! "Never give up, Never NEVER give up!" - Winston Churchill
    +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • @techdojo, although i agree with you, let's wait with alternative solutions until the kickstarter ends. we cannot expect already @hgy29 to do the same work for half the money or similar compromises.

later, in case it fails (hopefully not) then @hgy29 can indeed contemplate if the partial amount that was raised would be enough for him to achieve some of the goals of the original kickstarter and if he wants to make another - expectedly successful - (crowd)funding which aims to raise a lower amount of money.
  • "Never give up, Never NEVER give up!"

More than halfway through.

:)

My Gideros games: www.totebo.com
    +1 -1 (+3 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Just backed this - sorry for the delay.

This is fantastic opportunity to get Gideros working for the web.

Lets get behind this :)
  • SinisterSoftSinisterSoft Maintainer
    edited October 2015
    Just got the Kickstarter update email...

"antialised shapes" Ehh? I'm going to be updating my Bacteria game with this! :)

Logos automatically shrunk :)

Direct APK export! :)

Auto include plugins! :D

Keychar - just what I need for the GUI interface!!! :D

Can't wait!!!

Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Note that these aren't within the KS limits but beyond. But this is what I am after in the long term, with the help of other maintainers.

• Tom2012Tom2012 Guru
    edited October 2015
    @hgy29

Thanks for the update. Really like the sound of direct apk export.

The major downside for me, and I'd imagine a lot of folks using Gideros, is creating a game is one thing. Then there's a pretty arduous process of creating the apk or the ios upload. I'd say this was the most difficult part of the process for me.

Anything that can make it more simple is very much appreciated.

Good luck with your kickstarter. HTML5 with Gideros will be FANTASTIC!

Edit: I started making by Flash games. http://www.acornsbigadventure.com - years old. :)
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    @Tom2012, thanks.
    Yes I once thought about adding direct APK export as an official target for the KS, but there is still the 'signing' stuff, and also it could be done, it may be hard and I didn't want to promise something if I am not sure to succeed.
  • @hgy29 We have increased our pledge.
    +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Thanks to everyone who backed the project so far. We are almost there: more than 75% done. With only three days left, this message will be my last call on this forum, and mainly dedicated to those who didn't backed it yet.

Maybe you thought the target was too high and didn't believe in it ? now I am confident we can make it.
    Maybe you just waited until the last time to see how it will go, now this is the last time.
    Maybe you do not feel concerned about HTML5 ? Consider that the KS is not just about HTML5, improved Gideros shape drawing code will benefit to all existing targets too (I managed to write specific shaders that allow drawing antialiased lines last Friday).

But if you simply can't, that's ok, please excuse me for pushing this once again. We are so close, I just can't stay silent at this point!
    +1 -1 (+7 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • I posted something on twitter yesterday about the campaign. Hope you did too.
  • Ok. Backed. But i hope that we'll receive wp monetizations soon too.
  • @Garyk1968, I agree that a lot of work should have been done beforehand, but you seem to miss something important: Gideros is no longer a company, but a community. Which mean that contributors like me do it on their spare time, and mostly for free (this KS being a notable exception).

Promoting Gideros is thus something that we all should do (you included), not only limited to maintainers.

Basically maintaining Gideros is already an unrewarded time investment in itself, and somehow I take your critic a little bad, because we do constantly make our best to spread the word about Gideros, even spending hours to write press releases and announcement here and there. With no result so far, I must admit. It is well known that good engineers are often poor at the marketting stuff. I am afraid this applies to me too.

I really love Gideros SDK, but Gideros community will die unless we have more people in our community. This is not at all related to the KS. As a matter of fact, since Gideros is free and I know pretty well how it works, I could make it evolve on my side even if everyone left Gideros. But we have so nice and helpful people in there that I would be very sad if it died...
    Point taken and please do not think I am here to bash you in any way at all. The effort is extremely commendable and I praise you for that and just having the raw talent to make it happen!

I know how tough it is, its quite frustrating to see exceptional technology flounder whilst mediocre technology (with big marketing spend) can become mainstream.

I would have to agree with @sinistersoft that its collateral that helps push tools mainstream; tutorials, demos and books. I know thats alot of work but its all about lowering the barrier to entry to newbies. I was playing with Phaser (js framework) some time ago and that comes with a whole stack of demos, tutorials etc.

The market for game dev tools is becoming more fragmented and it seems every month there is a new html5 game engine out and with the performance of desktop and mobile browsers that is becoming a viable cross platform technology.

• Even if someone can't manage the time to help add tutorials, documentation, videos, etc then just spreading the word about how easy Gideros is to use would help.

Almost everyone has a friend or relative who would like to get 'into' creating their own video game...

Show them Gideros and encourage them to pledge anything, even just €5 would do, to the HTML5 kickstarter - anything will make a difference. :)
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
  • talistalis Guru
    edited October 2015
    Unfortunately i am not using Gideros these days, of course it doesn't mean that i will not use it in future. I am always following the forum and changes.
    As for myself i am really satisfied with the process after going open sourced and want to congratulate the people behind it. (Core ream an all the other contributors)

Backed it up. Hope the goal will be reached.
  • john26john26 Maintainer
    edited October 2015
    Guys, 76% funded and 66 hours to go. Let's push this over the finish line! it's now or never, remember Kickstarter is "all or nothing funding" so we've got to get it over the line.

Good luck everyone...!
    76percent.png
    287 x 481 - 31K
  • talistalis Guru
    edited October 2015
    My idea still the same about this kickstarter project as previous one.

The functionality that is proposed is a milestone and will increase the value of the framework so much. IF this framework will be licensed i will be ready to pay a fair amount of license fee to it.
    So after these facts why not to pay this amount to the kickstarter campaign.(maybe a little bit less :D) . It is obviously a win - win situation in any way.
    1-If it will be the second successful kickstarter campaign it will wind up - provoke other users to add more functionality to the framework.
    2-More platforms means more money more income.
    3-Continuation of the members sharing power and the soul of gideros.
    4-As for the 3rd point the power of open source will increase. I myself always a true supporter of open source community.

So as a conclusion according to my budget i increased my pledge amount. Please do not misunderstand my post no one needs to agree with me. These are my personel ideas, if you will agree give a final chance and according to your budget if you can, increase the pledge amount.
    +1 -1 (+4 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • I deleted my pledge under one account and repledged it, and also raised it to 75.

If everyone below 75 would raise their pledges to 75 too, I think we make it. Come on people. :-)
    +1 -1 (+5 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Many thanks @talis and @MikeHart, I hear some people say I could still sell/license the work if the KS is not successful. While thats true, I believe it would be better for everyone if it becomes open source and free to enhance afterwards. Thats why I choosed the KS way at first.
  • @hgy29. If it gets near to the goal, we'll push it further by increasing our pledge.

• MikeHartMikeHart Guru
    edited October 2015
    @simwhi why not increase it now? It would motivate others even more. If everyone waits till its near the goal, it won't happen. Just saying :-)
  • I've upped my pledge as well, even though I'm unlikely to use html5. I used to buy the license before Gideros was open source and see this as being simiar. Just the way I see it...
  • Count me in. Backed.
  • hgy29hgy29 Maintainer
    Many thanks, we are approaching the goal: 82% funded.

• mertocanmertocan Member
    edited October 2015
    Backed. Good luck.
  • Backed, I wish you reach the goal.
  • @MikeHart. @hgy29 We have increased our pledge again. It's so close!! I really hope it reaches the goal. We're feeling very optimistic about it. Come on guys. Let's push this to the finishing line!!!
  • I've upped my pledge as well, even though I'm unlikely to use html5. I used to buy the license before Gideros was open source and see this as being simiar. Just the way I see it...
    Same here I paid for the original Gideros, I no longer use it but have still backed the project as I do wish you well with it (despite my earlier comments!)
    Same here I paid for the original Gideros, I no longer use it but have still backed the project as I do wish you well with it (despite my earlier comments!)
    Same here! Come onnn!!

• 10 hours to go and still €620 to raise...

Please tell people about it via Twitter, Facebook, etc...