Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Issue with scaling on the iPhone only using letterbox mode — Gideros Forum

Issue with scaling on the iPhone only using letterbox mode

NatWobbleNatWobble Member
edited August 2017 in Bugs and issues
Hi guys,

EDIT. You have to include portrait splash images in Xcode even if your app is in landscape. It seems to be a quirk with iPhone 5s and we did this with our previous release, hence how there were no issues. See this discussion.

We have a strange issue in landscape, on the iPhone 5 only (I haven't tested on other iPhone versions), and only with a proper export and not with an exported player.

Our games have always been set to letterbox, and everything used to scale correctly.

We use 800x480 logical dimensions, which should give the left of the screen a negative x coordinate value on the iPhone 5 (and most modern phones) using the following:

screenLeft=-application:getLogicalTranslateX()/application:getLogicalScaleX()

On the iPhone 5 it's as if screenLeft is returning as 0 and we get black bars on either side of the screen and all our objects anchored to 0. There isn't any clipping going on and we don't have any clipping set to the stage.

It scales properly vertically on the squarish aspect ratio of the iPad and we get a negative y top of the screen as expected with screenTop=-application:getLogicalTranslateY()/application:getLogicalScaleY().

It's OK on all our Android devices (including ones with wider aspect ratios than with our logical dimensions). Strangely, it is also OK on the iPhone 5 when I export and build a player from the same project.The issue only affects a proper build.

I've tried clean builds with both the 17.4.1 and 17.6.3 versions of Gideros and we have the same problem. Our last release build used 16.10 and there wasn't an issue.

Update: I have built another app in portrait, and there are no issues in portrait.

Update: I rolled back to the 16.10 version of Gideros and the problem still persists, so I'm very confused now. Perhaps something has changed in Xcode?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks.