Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Is Google glass going to destroy mobile and tablet business? — Gideros Forum

Is Google glass going to destroy mobile and tablet business?

zoolaxzoolax Member
edited July 2013 in Marketplace
I have been wondering about Google glass for while,It seems not that far in the future as you might see many people would use it.Look at smart phones market now,every body got one.
As a game developer I have talked to some developers who were saying games can be played through Google glass as a 3d interactive form.
When a new technology comes it raises concern that if it would wipe out the old ,the whole 2d screen interaction.
I personally still like to interact with a 2d surface and many people still prefer that.
But as 3d animation killed 2d animation ,and on other hand 2d games still are very much in demand ,even pixel games are a new trend now.

I like to hear what you think as a mobile and tablet developer?

A.Dose it concern you that it might wipe out the whole mobile business and you have to relearn and re adjust completely to a new technology?

B.How far in the future you see that it would effect the market?

C.Would people abandon their 2d screen mobile over a interactive glass they can probably do all the same things eventually or even more?

These questions might sound silly now ,but I think it might help if we keep it at the back of our minds as developers.
some article regarding this matter:
http://www.adweek.com/news/technology/why-brands-are-already-looking-google-glass-and-why-apple-should-be-worried-147435
www.zoolax.com

Comments

• MellsMells Guru
    edited July 2013
    Those questions certainly don't sound silly to me.

A.Dose it concern you that it might wipe out the whole mobile business and you have to relearn and re adjust completely to a new technology?
    Not at all. I still eat my rice with chopsticks.
    Adjust and evolve well yes, and more than often when you work in the tech industry. But wipe it out I don't think so.
    You will have to evolve anyway, some people might be expecting more Augmented reality Imagine someone with Google Glasses looking at his tv screen which displays AR dynamically, powered by an app you have developed for ios ou android and displayed on tv through the apple tv, ouya, google console, etc

You have now a product that you know how to produce that is leveraged by this new device.
    Why not selling those apps (2D with AR) to shopping malls, airports..?

B.How far in the future you see that it would effect the market?
    It's already effecting the market but I guess this is fine?

C.Would people abandon their 2d screen mobile over a interactive glass they can probably do all the same things eventually or even more?
    Why do you see it as separate things?
    2d screens will evolve, markets will converge, etc...

(The headline of the article you linked to certainly stretches itself to get the reader's attention).
    twitter@TheWindApps Artful applications : The Wind Forest. #art #japan #apps
  • Until it's less visible, which it eventually will be, there's a big difference between the acceptance of carrying something (like a phone) and wearing something (like glasses) that a lot of people will have trouble getting over. A smart watch could have more effect on the market in the shorter term because it's less obtrusive whilst still worn.

But it's all leading towards implants anyway. If you haven't read Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow (you can grab it free in lots of places) then you should, people have what's basically an implant that instantly shows you the social standing etc. of everybody you meet. When I first heard of Google Glass I instantly thought of that book.

And, of course, there's currently huge privacy implications as well that might actually curtail the adoption, either through public opinion or even legislation (possibly).
  • zoolaxzoolax Member
    edited July 2013
    @Mells
    I agree with most of the points you make,but as it is effecting the market at moment or not in compare to tablet and mobile maybe not as much.
    @moopf
    when we get to the point that we show ads in people's dream or use implants for gadgets ,I hopefully be dead or walk away from the business ,and go to live on a island :)
    As for acceptance ,as for myself,I have trouble wearing that around.
    www.zoolax.com
  • @zoolax Ah now, you see, implants are something I could get on board with. I think there's massive potential there, not just for consumer gadgets but in a whole host of areas.

There are developments such as implants for glucose monitoring that are in trials at the moment, for instance, that would make a big difference to diabetics (like my son). And yeah, on the consumer front, I could be tempted my an implant that overlaid things onto my eyes. But there's a whole crap-ton of issues to solve before that becomes reality - including moral issues.

We have essentially have had implants for years already - a pacemaker is really an implant and these days they can be programmed externally to tailor them to an individual after they've been put in.
  • zoolaxzoolax Member
    @moopf
    Sorry about hearing that your son struggling with diabetics.
    Well battery heart implants have been around for ages,and now there are lots of stuff for people with no leg or hand to make their life a bit easier,nobody can argue with that.
    What I mainly meant as a entertainment or communication device which can be implanted into our body.I think just like plastic surgeries or tattoos it might have its own addiction for people too.
    I guess my main concern was how far away from now people abandon their phones or tablets(maybe I should concern myself with bigger thing in life;)) ,but when I rethink it,this just adds to other devices for them to use,games always as long as they are entertaining will be in demand either 2d or 3d.
    www.zoolax.com
  • ... And yeah, on the consumer front, I could be tempted by an implant that overlaid things onto my eyes. But there's a whole crap-ton of issues to solve before that becomes reality - including moral issues.
    @Moopf,
    Moral (etc.) issues, indeed!

I can't believe you'd be willing to give recreational implants a go!

Before I read your post, if someone had asked me to guess what Moopf's stance on non-medical implants would be, I would have guessed: "I guarantee that Moopf will be 100% opposed to recreational (non-medical/non-clinical/non-essential) (especially visual and other neural) implants with transceivers that could be hacked, monitored, recorded, corrupted, et cetera". I am very surprised! I thought you'd be completely unwilling to have any (recreational) thing, that cannot be immediately removed in an emergency, implanted into yourself. (I reckon I would be. No matter how reassuring the manufacturer's rhetoric and alleged customer testimonials might be, I wouldn't trust them.)

I agree that removable eyeglasses seem like fun, since one could immediately switch them off / whip them off (and smash them if they cannot be turned off) in an emergency (such as a dangerous malfunction or infiltration by an unwelcome hacker)!

By the way, the animated cartoon series "Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex" is another interesting, engaging, entertaining story (among many others, of course) that (rather violently) examines such a lifestyle. I recommend it (but not for children).
    Kate's Catalogue of Travelling Theatre Centres :
    Meet Kate. Grey is her favourite colour. Maths is her favourite subject. Decency is her favourite type of behaviour.
    She definitely does not like jewellery or modelling, but loves aeroplanes and other machines made of aluminium.
  • moopfmoopf Guru
    edited July 2013
    @Platypus hehe, glad I have the ability to surprise! It's funny how people can often think of others in 1-dimensional ways from forum contact. I'm the same, we all make assumptions based on limited spheres of contact experience through forums and I'd wager the vast majority of the time that assumptions are completely incorrect :D

On the subject of implants, I wrote a few sci-fi short stories many years ago (when I was around 18/19, so about 20 years ago now) and had them published in sci-fi magazines. A theme in a couple of them were about implants, and the hacking of them :) Useless information, I know, but things like this have interested me for a very long time.