Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Desktop runtime? — Gideros Forum

Desktop runtime?

BlueByLiquidBlueByLiquid Member
edited April 2013 in Roadmap
I could swear I saw something about this but search is coming up empty. Are there any plans to have desktop support in windows/mac so apps can run. Even just what is in the simulator (but a one click for the person you are sending it to) would be fine as long as it would package up my source and images so no one can see them.

Comments

• They said that it will come one day. When that will be, noone knows.
  • Thats too bad. On a related note is there only one developer for Gideros or is there just one that is on the forums? I am trying to justify buying Gideros. I like the ability to do custom c code plugins but I am concerned about the speed of progress on some features that I thought were coming quite a while back. (not trying to start a flame war please just comments). I will probably buy a license for an initial release but I may port to another library because I kept running into some basic issues.
  • Would be nice if the applications could be compiled even just to desktop Java which means it would run on Windows, Mac and Linux. Quicker and easier than separate exports :)
    Gideros Tutorials and Mobile apps:
    http://BlueBilby.com/
  • SinisterSoftSinisterSoft Maintainer
    It's a shame that the apps can't be packaged for desktop osx and Windows. A lot of the work must have been done already for the emulator?
    Coder, video game industry veteran (since the '80s, ❤'s assembler), arrested - never convicted hacker (in the '90s), dad of five, he/him (if that even matters!).
    https://deluxepixel.com
  • I totally agree sinistersoft. I am sure there are additional feature I would want but pretty much the emulator is all I'm looking for initially with all the resources just packaged up.
  • @BlueByLiquid As far as I know, it is only one developer, Atilim.

+1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • john26john26 Maintainer
    If you think of classic desktop games like Minesweeper the window has a custom menu allowing you to choose difficulty etc. A stand alone windows game would need custom menus. If Gideros was open source it would be easy for uses to add this to the runtime code and recompile. But since its closed source these game specific features would need some extension mechanism. This is probably the main difficulty.
  • @BlueByLiquid As far as I know, it is only one developer, Atilim.
    Wow! I guess I should be happy things are moving as fast as they are with only one dev. It worries me too though as it will be difficult to maintain a growing code base and expand the tools without a bigger team especially as they expand to more devices.

Would be really great to open source the tool however they would have to do something other than just support to drive the business.
  • If you think of classic desktop games like Minesweeper the window has a custom menu allowing you to choose difficulty etc. A stand alone windows game would need custom menus. If Gideros was open source it would be easy for uses to add this to the runtime code and recompile. But since its closed source these game specific features would need some extension mechanism. This is probably the main difficulty.
    I don't need these features. I would use other tools for those types of applications and I think others should too but I guess it is there choice