Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
August 2011 Roadmap — Gideros Forum

August 2011 Roadmap

gorkemgorkem Maintainer
edited September 2011 in Roadmap
Gideros team is committed to maximizing usability of Gideros Studio IDE, refining and enhancing the core API set, creating a modern, complete mobile game development environment for many mobile devices. This page is intended to provide a basic roadmap of where we are heading as we work on enhancements, fixes and improvements on major functional and architectural parts. This list is by no means complete – your suggestions will help shape the list.

Gideros Studio 2011.8 (release planned in August, 2011):

- Android support
- Better physics
- Retina display
- Screen scaling
- GPS, gyroscope and compass support

PS: Original roadmap is here: http://giderosmobile.com/DevCenter/index.php?title=Product_Roadmap

Comments

• I am spamming the forum with my questions! haha
    I am developing a game that will take advantage of online play, is it possible for gideros to support it sometime soon? There is luasocket library already?
  • gorkemgorkem Maintainer
    I am spamming the forum with my questions! haha
    I am developing a game that will take advantage of online play, is it possible for gideros to support it sometime soon? There is luasocket library already?
    3 weeks ago we've implemented the luasocket library, and it's committed to current codebase. There's also an example (Yahoo weather) which uses luasockets. This example will be in Wiki (http://www.giderosmobile.com/DevCenter) in a few days, if not weeks.

This feature will be ready in next release.

Thanks for heads up :)
  • Is there a possibility to have native components like the TextBox for Input, Sliders, Pickers, Buttons, NavigationBar, Views, etc that brand an app an iOS app or an Android App. Even simple things like UIAlert which would mean a lot in an app for displaying data to users.

cheers,

?:)
    edited September 2011
    Is there a possibility to have native components like the TextBox for Input, Sliders, Pickers, Buttons, NavigationBar, Views, etc that brand an app an iOS app or an Android App. Even simple things like UIAlert which would mean a lot in an app for displaying data to users.

cheers,

?:)
    We'll do our best to to implement

- Textbox for input
    - Notification bar (or UI alert)
    - Webview

for the next release for both platforms. If it doesnt make it to the next release (2011.8), there'll be weekly (or casual builds) starting September, and one of these builds will include this support.

Thanks.
  • I'd second the request for UI components. It's the one thing that's still missing from other competing frameworks in the same class and impedes development for apps that are less graphically-reliant and can give Gideros an edge over them, especially for those of us who focuses more on utility apps.

On a related note, database support would be important especially for data-centric apps.

Another 'feature' you might want to look into may be compatibility with some of the popular tools already out there, such as Levelhelper, which already has support with some of the other popular frameworks. That can increase the likelihood of buy-in for users who already have the tools.
    I'd second the request for UI components. It's the one thing that's still missing from other competing frameworks in the same class and impedes development for apps that are less graphically-reliant and can give Gideros an edge over them, especially for those of us who focuses more on utility apps.

On a related note, database support would be important especially for data-centric apps.

Another 'feature' you might want to look into may be compatibility with some of the popular tools already out there, such as Levelhelper, which already has support with some of the other popular frameworks. That can increase the likelihood of buy-in for users who already have the tools.
    Completely agree with your thoughts on UI components and db. (PS: If there are cases that you can support the db case, let us know).

Regarding compatibility - texturepacker (Texturepacker.com) now exports in Gideros format, and we expect to see more collaboration in this area with other players (hint hint) :)

Thanks.
  • I am spamming the forum with my questions! haha
    3 weeks ago we've implemented the luasocket library, and it's committed to current codebase. There's also an example (Yahoo weather) which uses luasockets. This example will be in Wiki (http://www.giderosmobile.com/DevCenter) in a few days, if not weeks.

This feature will be ready in next release.

Thanks for heads up :)
    So does the current version have luasocket?
    I tried the following:
    local socket = require("socket")

And it does not work.
    @Sparkart sorry to misinform you here, we do not currently have luasockets but simple http get/post requests. Have a look at the weather or image download example you'll find in Gideros Studio 2011.9 beta - it'll give you an understanding of how network functions work.
  • Will you guys support tcp sockets anytime soon?
    A basic set of DB functions and luasockets will be implemented either via plugins or directly in the API.

Implementing the same set of functions with same behaviour under Mac OS X, MS Windows, Linux, iOS and Android really takes lots of time. :)

This needs to be put in the roadmap, I'm noting it down.
  • No problem, I completely understand. Unfortunately the product is not a solution for me at the moment. But I will highly reconsider it in the future.
    Thanks Sparkat, please check back often, as we add many features to Gideros Studio and shout around to make this framework a worldwide-known mobile development environment :)
  • MillerszoneMillerszone Member
    edited October 2011

Regarding compatibility - texturepacker (Texturepacker.com) now exports in Gideros format,
    and we expect to see more collaboration in this area with other players (hint hint) :)
    Thanks.
    I emailed CodeAndWeb Support and asked if they can make PhysicsEditor (http://www.physicseditor.de)
    export to Gideros. Here is what they said:
    > I will.
    > For a fast solution you can simply create your own exporter. PhysicsEditor is template based.
    > You can check the exporters directory inside the application's folder. There are already examples
    > you can use as a base.
    >
    > Kind regards
    > - Andreas

I have both and are great.

Texture Packer does so much more than pack your images. It can scale down your
    images and add the @2x with AutoSD, auto alias, pvr, etc...